Old Fashioned Bakewell Tart
Added by Allora Andiamo | Thu 12 Mar 2009 @ 15:17
200g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
A couple of tbsp of cold water
3 heaped tbsps of raspberry jam
100g castor sugar
100g icing sugar
120g ground almonds
2 med eggs
3 heaped tbsp slivered almonds
A few drops of almond essence
1. Mix together the flour,butter and salt. Rub between your fingers till the mixture resembles large breadcrumbs.
2. Add the water, continue mixing, then knead into a ball. Place in the fridge for 1 hour.
3. Grease a flan/tart tin (approx 22cm). Preheat oven to 200C.
4. Roll out the pasty thinly and transfer to the tin. Trim the edges.
5. Mix together the almonds, semolina and both sugars.
6. Whisk the eggs with the almond essence and add to the almond mixture, stirring well.
7. Spread the raspberry jam over the pastry base.
8. Pour in the almond mixture and spread evenly.
9. Sprinkle with the slivered almonds then bake at 200C for approx 25-30 mins, till firm.
10. Allow to cool completeley then sprinkle with a little icing sugar.