Pumpkin Soup with Coconut, Chilli and Curry Spices
Added by Allora Andiamo | Sat 19 Sep 2009 @ 22:23
Makes 3 - 4 portions
1 average sized organic Hokkaido pumpkin,cut into chunks (deseed but don\'t peel)
1 large potato, cut into chunks
1 medium onion, sliced
750ml chicken or vegetable stock
200ml coconut milk
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 heaped tsps of curry powder (or curry paste)
1 - 2 small red chillies, sliced
A little olive oil
Croutons to serve
1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and gently fry the onions, chilli and garlic till soft.
2. Add the pumpkin and potatoes to the pan and sprinkle with the curry powder. Fry gently for just a minute or so.
3. Pour in the coconut milk and stock, cover, then simmer gently till potatoes & pumpkin are cooked (mine took about 10 mins).
4. Allow the soup to cool down a little then pour into a blender and blend at high speed till smooth and creamy.
5. Reheat a little if necessary and serve with some fresh croutons which have been fried in a little olive oil and butter and sprinkled with herb salt.