Added by Allora Andiamo | Wed 23 Jun 2010 @ 10:36
A nice light vegetarian curry that doesn\'t take too long to cook. It\'s also good finished off with a tablespoon of raw creamed coconut (just add it towards the end of cooking). Ed: you can buy raw creamed coconut from most health food stores..it\'s NOT the same as the block of creamed coconut which you can buy which has been processed/heat treated.
Serves 3- 4
1 tin (420g) of cooked chick peas, drain and rinse
1 heaped cup of frozen spinach,defrosted (or use about 4 handfuls of fresh spinach)
1 large onion, finely sliced
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 tin (420g) of chopped tomatoes
A little bit of ghee or oil for frying
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
Small bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1 red chilli, finely sliced
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 tbsps oil (vegetable, olive etc)
1/2 tsp salt
1. First, make your curry paste. Place all of the ingredients in a mortar and work the mixture into a paste.
2. In a large frying pan heat a bit of oil/ghee and fry the sliced onions over a medium heat till soft and golden. Add the garlic and fry for just a minute or two.
3. Add the curry paste to the onions and fry over a gentle heat for approx. 2-3 minutes before adding the chickpeas and tinned tomatoes to the pan.
4. Cover then cook over a medium heat for approx.15 mins, stirring regularly (if it gets too dry add just a dash of water or stock).
5. Add the spinach to the pan and cook for another minute or two. Adjust seasoning if neccesary.
Serve with basmati rice or Indian flatbreads.