forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Mon 12 May 14 6:19pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Re: Celebrating 10 years of the forums! Share your favourite recipes

Oh Mummza.  What sweet, sweet memories of our belated members.

Likes (4)

#12 Mon 12 May 14 6:39pm

Abby M

Occupation Community Manager
From Jamie Oliver HQ
Member since Sat 15 Mar 14

Thanks for all of your feedback. Danny, Merlin and I are putting our heads together and will see what we can do.

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 13 May 14 12:22am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Thanks so much for your post Mummza.

Thanks Abby. Mr Pab explained really well the wonderful life of this forum. I know it has caused headaches for the administrators at times, but I would be sorry if the brief is only to connect comments to JO products and resources.

Likes (3)

#14 Wed 14 May 14 11:31am

Abby M

Occupation Community Manager
From Jamie Oliver HQ
Member since Sat 15 Mar 14

Thanks JoyJamDaisy. We are just trying to find some nice ways to celebrate the  anniversary across the site so that as well as looking back and thanking our loyal users, we can look forward and attract new users to the community. We want to make it a significant event as opposed to keeping it contained here in the forums. As I say, Danny, Merlin and I are working on it and I will get back to you shortly with some ideas.

I really want to make this a happy and celebratory occasion for you all, sharing your own recipes is wonderful, I am really enjoying reading them all, it's just a matter of finding a way to integrate them into the celebrations across JO.com.

Speak soon!

Likes (2)

#15 Wed 14 May 14 12:00pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Cool Abby, I'm keen to hear their ideas. It is a great anniversary for the whole site.

Likes (2)

#16 Wed 14 May 14 1:58pm

Danny

Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Hi everyone,

Looking forward to being back here and celebrating with everyone.

Cheers from Danny

Likes (6)

#17 Wed 14 May 14 7:16pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

Dannny is back! ciaoooooo
big_smile  big_smile  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#18 Wed 14 May 14 11:34pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Hi Danny ... Welcome back wave

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#19 Thu 15 May 14 2:31am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

To awnser your question Abby and white Rabbit

Favourite Jamie recipe ...
Well I have to admit , I read the books , I get ideas but I very rarely follow a recipe  oops
I cook by instinct and am guided by what's in the cupboard or wats in the fridge !
The recipe that I keep meaning to make is the 'snakey cakey' from the book Jamie does ( I think )
My favorite book to read has been Jamie's Italian , I loved the photos and stories of the monks.

My 'children' who are now young adults like ( and use a great deal )the more recent book 'Save with Jamie' as its full of recipes that are easy to follow with less ingredients that have been used in the past in some of the other Jamie Oliver books. (My children are far better at following recipes than their mother ! lol ).

How I came to the forum ...
I came to the forum in 2005 when I was working in a school as classroom help.
The school had decided to have a 'Healthy eating week ' with every child in the school cooking a set recipe.
Knowing Mr Oliver's interest in nutrition and meals in schools and having found the website in a google search , I felt the forum was a good place to ask for ideas .
I was quickly hooked in with the friendship and I was caught 'under the spell and magic ' of the forum and here I still am , I continue learning things from these forum pages and from other people's ideas .

What do I like about the forum .. Above all I like the friendships that have come through the forum , there are  many people here who I consider to be my friend , you get to know people's virtual characters and who gets on well with who. Some firm friendships have been made through these pages.
As I've already mentioned , I love learning new things about cooking , ingredients . I find j learn something new quite often .
Also I find it interesting what people like to cook and what is avalible to cook in other countries .
I am also interested on the different names we call the same things ... For example what we in the uk call a swede , it's called rutabaga in many other countries . 

It's been a good 10 years , there have been a few 'ups and downs ' and falling a out along the way , there have been vast amounts of people passing through , some stay , many move on , but there is a solid core of people that regularly call in , maybe just to read ,maybe
to write and join in a discussion , but that core is there through all the changes and comings and goings .
These people know who they are and I hope they remain and continue to bring life into what were once just empty web pages .

Likes (5)

#20 Fri 16 May 14 10:25am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Thai-style Chicken in Coconut Milk:
This recipe is based on Carolyn Dunne's recipe in "The Semi-Vegetarian Cookbook", 1989, Bantam Books, Sydney.
I started making this in 1989/ 1990. It became a firm favourite with my daughter, especially. She has asked for it for her birthday meal since she was five years old. She's now 26. She also requests it as her comfort food in times of stress and each time she comes to stay/visit.

Ingredients:
*500g chicken fillets (obviously, skin off) cut into thin strips
*1 tin (400ml) coconut milk (light is fine)
*1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
*2 red chillies, finely chopped (more or less to taste), plus more, sliced, for garnish if desired
*2 stalks lemongrass (or use the washed, shells from the lemons you've squeezed- I used six halves but we like lemon)
*Freshly ground black pepper
*2 tablespoons fresh coriander/cilantro leaves, chopped (or more to taste), plus some for garnish (we really like coriander so I use a whole bunch, divided)
*1 teaspoon fish sauce.
Method:
Put coconut milk, lemongrass (or lemon halves), chopped chillies, coriander/cilantro and black pepper in a pan and simmer (lid on) for 10 minutes.
Add chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes (lid on) or until cooked but still tender. Don't boil (chicken will end up rubbery if you do).
Remove and discard lemongrass/ lemon halves.
Stir in fish sauce.
Serve in bowls over cooked rice. Top with sliced chillies and extra coriander if using.�
Could serve a cucumber salad with this or steamed Asian greens as a side as I do.

Notes:
We've come to like this over the years as more of a soup. So, I double the lemon juice and coconut milk stated above.
We like chillies and fish sauce. I use more than stated.

Favourite Jamie recipe:
Like others have stated, I have the books, had the videos (now have the DVDs) and watch most of the TV programmes but I use them to get ideas. I'm not much of a one for following recipes, I'm afraid.
My most used Jamie Oliver books would be the early ones, "Naked Chef" etc. This style of food suited us more as a family and still suits the way I cook and choose to eat. We were never ones to cook/eat roasts etc.
The early TV shows also inspired my son to get into the kitchen and start cooking. It would take a rocket to inspire my daughter. I keep trying.

The Forum:
I joined just over seven years ago on my daughter's birthday. Can't really remember why or why I hadn't joined earlier. I think I saw the website address on either one of the TV shows or on the packaging for a Tefal pan. The rest is history.

Why stick around? Over the years, yes, there have been ups and downs- births, marriages, re-marriages, divorces, separations, deaths, moving houses and falling outs.

However, despite this, real friendships have resulted. It's a community or a neighbourhood for me. Like family, we have our ups and downs but those of us who've stuck around are united in our love of and passion for food. That's the bottom line and the most important thing as far as I'm concerned.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (2)