forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 11 Aug 07 10:35am

DONDURMA

Member since Sun 30 Apr 06

Best Substitute [re: wine]????

help I am planning to make  Rigatoni with Sausage(turkey),peppers & onions and was wondering:

1. What's the best substitute for Marsala wine question 

2. What's the best non-alcoholic subsitute for Marsala wine question

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 11 Aug 07 10:54am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Best Substitute [re: wine]????

Marsala gives a rich flavour, I am not sure what you could use instead .

I do know that tomatos will go well with onions and peppers, so why not roast a whole lot of tomatos with some olive oil, a few herbs and a little seasoning . I often do this,sometimes towards the end of the cooking I add a splash of balsamic vinegar, but this is not nessersary.
( in the winter I will add a sprinkle of sugar as I put the tomatos in the oven as I find that it helps to bring out the flavour, but, at this time of year when tomatos are tasty, I don't!)

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 11 Aug 07 11:19am

DONDURMA

Yeah, I know. I have used tomatoes with onions and peppers before in other dishes! They pretty much go with anything or at least from what my mom taught me lol !  Either way I  will keep what you said in mind [I want to try substituting thing first just to see how it turns out; especially if I got the non- alcoholic route]

I don't know if this helps lol but here are some of the ingredients as follows [maybe this will help in thinking for a substitute  question ]

4   garlic cloves
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 cup of chopped   fresh basil
1 [1405ounce] can of diced tomatoes w/juice
1/4 tsp  crushed red pepper flakes[optional pauses I am putting it in  evil <--lol]
2tbsp of tomato paste
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Last edited by DONDURMA (Sun 12 Aug 07 1:34am)

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 11 Aug 07 2:52pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Haven't tried this, but (you don't say how much red wine is required) why don't you try red wine vinegar watered down with stock (suitable/ appropriate)?

Just a thought. OR forget the wine (depending on the acidity needed) and just use stock.

Good luck!

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#5 Sat 11 Aug 07 3:01pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 12 Aug 07 1:08am

DONDURMA

shocked  shocked  shocked  <--love the smilie! hehe!
Anna thankkk you for the link this is what I needed!

I didn't see Marsala wine though! Is it a "red wine[if so what do you think of "non alocholic red wine aka "red grape "lol]...what???" So, I get an idea when I look at the chart I got a good idea what to substitute it with[vegetable stock [for obvious reasons without substituting anything] and what??[teg. this and this??[not including the veggie stock or including it shrugs]

Maree was thinking of your second suggestion but am wondering if I do that what flavor am I missing if I don't get a flavor close to or just as good and will still work?!

Well for 4-6 servings [according to the receipe] it requires 1 cup of Marsala wine. I plan to make enough though for 8-12 servings[which means 2 cups instead of one. Not sure if that's wise. Will see how much of the other ingredients I increase in amount and by how much?!? Have to go look at the receipe again] [not sure how many people it would serve 4-6 servings b/c my family has a tendency to fill there plate with pasta not just one or two spoon and call it a serving looool this only happens when my family throws a dinner party then ok I understand but what the h.ell we are not on a diet [sorry if I offended anyone]  exclaim lol

Note: To anyone when mentioning a subsitution tell me how much [eg. the link Anna gave me big_smile  ] to put in! Thanks!

Also I edited a previous post to include measurements [if it helps] of the ingredients listed! [if I was to do 8-12 servings instead of 4-6 servings how much should I increase the above ingredients [in previous post] should I put if at all?! ]

Last edited by DONDURMA (Sun 12 Aug 07 1:37am)

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 15 Aug 07 6:56am

DONDURMA

I plan to serve it with a salad with Gorgonzola Dressing[couldn't find "Gorgonzola" cheese so I bought blue cheese instead. In the receipe it said it was the italian version of blue cheese dressing so nautrally I bought  blue cheese since I couldn't find the other cheese. It's "noble" cheese ! I believe this indictates the strength of the cheese[there's mild,mellow,noble,extra creamy and one other I couldn't remember..the receipe called for "creamy" so I got the "smooth and creamy'' noble cheese whistle ] what does everyone think?

Feel free to make suggestions on what kind of salad[includes what type of lettuce like iceberg, romaine etc and dressing/vingarette like Italian,French,Ranch etc, etc should be used] I should serve with it? smile

Last edited by DONDURMA (Wed 15 Aug 07 6:57am)

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 15 Aug 07 8:18am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Masala is a sweet wine, basically a sweet sherry.

Do not use vinegar as it is too astringent and nowhere need the same flavour.

I would just leave it out or substitute verjuice instead. Not sure where you are but Maggie Beer produces a sangiovese (red) verjuice. Leaving out the wine will not affect the flavour too much. It will still taste good.

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 15 Aug 07 11:37am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

As you are looking for a substitute ... I presume that you want the same taste as the masala would give.
If you use alcohol in amy form of cooking after a while the alcohol content is cooked away and all you are left with is the taste.
As far as I know, it does not take very long at all for the alcohol to evaporate.

I know that this is acceptable for, religious reasons for some religions, but, not all.

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 16 Aug 07 12:09am

DONDURMA

How would I know that the alcohol content is gone though? Is there a rule of thumb  wait so many minutes and voila? lol 

Well yeah! Preferably I would like the same taste as the masala would give[preferably non- alcoholic..doesn't have to be "non alcohol wine" just non alcoholic [meaning one of the ingredients [such as in extracts] have alcohol in it .] but as long as it works well with the dish and well with the salad I plan to serve [shrugs lol] it's all good!

Sweet "sherry" huh? exclaim  exclaim Cindy or anyone else how about non alcoholic red wine [red grape] !? Not sure if it would give the same sweet taste or close enough as the masala but would it work??? Also, how about as indicated in the link provided earlier by Anna [you did say "sherry"] so would "apple cider vinegar" work? I don't know[unless someone in Toronto,Ontario Canada wink  wink knows where I could buy it] where I could buy "non alcholic" vanilla extract. Would "coffee" work and what kind[this includes the name ie Maxwell House etc][must be careful or least I assume b/c of the strength] or how about "coffee syrup?"[where would I even find that???lol] <---these are "General" substitutes. The "substitutes measured" say orange juice or pineapple juice! What do you all think of those ones????

If all else fails just leave it out or try leaving it out all together or try the non alcoholic red wine[red grape] and see what happens! lol I will wait and see everyone's response to this and suggestions before I decide! I don't know about the "apple cider" suggestion in the link given you suggestion not to use vinegar?!

Likes (0)