forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 06 Dec 07 1:10pm

kiwiroo

Occupation Foreman, Traffic Control Company
From Perth Western Australia, Austr
Member since Thu 06 Dec 07

seafood sauce

just would like to share my seafood sauce with the world, it used to be a secret sauce but many people know so why not share it...well 1 jar 450gm mayonnaise (no light stuff), 1 Tbl tomato ketchup, pinch sea salt, 1/2 pinch ground pepper and mix well...and thats it...to make a nice seafood coctail and to it cooked peeled large prawns, grannysmith apples cored diced but not pelled, boiled egg whites and small amount of chopped spring onions- mix all together and serves on leave of ice berg lettuce ... now stand back and watch them en thumbsup  yummy joy

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 06 Dec 07 3:16pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: seafood sauce

I'd go several stages further - try thi one.

1 tbsp mayonaise
1 tbsp set yoghurt
juice of 1/2 lemon
zest of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp tabasco sauce
1 crushed clove of garlic
1/4 inch ginger, crushed
1/2 tbsp brandy
salt and white pepper to taste
enough good tomato sauce to produce a rose pink colour.

Beat together with a fork in the order given above.

Serves 2.

Likes (3)

#3 Thu 06 Dec 07 6:14pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

the seafood sauce they sell here is just a mix of ketchup ,lemon juice, and good horseradish. I never buy the stuff since i pretty much always have these ingredients on hand and can make it up as needed instead of having a dodgey half full jar hanging around in the fridge who knows how long .

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#4 Thu 06 Dec 07 6:52pm

itsmarie

Forum champ
Occupation Experimental learning
From Surrey UK
Member since Sat 18 Aug 07

This is going to sound disgusting but i have made it using Ketchup and Salad cream, lemon juice and white pepper, geoff yours sounds lovely  yummy

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 09 Dec 07 10:16pm

Jamie

Chef
From Fifteen Restaurant, London
Member since Wed 24 Mar 04

What you have here big boy is the beginning of a mari rose sauce or a cocktail sauce which is a classic late 18th century sort of seafood fare really which is one of the first sauces that I learnt to make actually. You could be poncey with this and make your own mayonnaise, but you could also use a half decent quality store bought mayonnaise.. if you get 4 big heaped spoonfuls of mayonnaise with 1 heaped spoonful of ketchup, then add 1 spoon full of brandy, a spoon full of lemon juice, 2 good pinches of paprika. Mix this up and season with salt and pepper and I always try and make it slightly too lemony and it will be quite nice and loose then you can spoon it over prawns, crab, lobster, you can toss stuff in it, you can even dip chips in it and you know what it is a little bit junky and it’s kind of every day produce put together with a bit of style and to be honest it’s **** tasty…. When I look at your recipe – prawns cooked on a BBQ, rock and roll rock, then cut an apple into little match sticks, toss this with some nice salad leaves or ice berg lettuce… your recipe sounds pretty bloody good actually. Probably if I was doing this I would just dress the apple and the salad with a simple oil and lemon dressing, keep it fresh and crunchy and dress at the last minute and then just keep the prawns and the mayonnaise together.. sounds pretty **** cool man, well done!

Likes (2)

#6 Fri 14 Dec 07 10:07pm

chacha1103

Occupation High School kid
From Ottawa, Canada
Member since Tue 23 Oct 07

Ashen wrote:

the seafood sauce they sell here is just a mix of ketchup ,lemon juice, and good horseradish. I never buy the stuff since i pretty much always have these ingredients on hand and can make it up as needed instead of having a dodgey half full jar hanging around in the fridge who knows how long .

lol Well the sauce is dodgey alright... but it's free with a Presidents Choice Shrimp Ring this holiday season tongue Ah PC, the great canadian food company. tongue

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 16 Dec 07 5:36pm

chacha1103

From Ottawa, Canada

when ever I post something on a forum topic... it goes dead... do I have some disease? ANTIPOSTINGITOUS? tongue

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 17 Dec 07 10:09am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

lol
I'm sure it's nothing to do with you. wink

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 17 Dec 07 9:53pm

chacha1103

From Ottawa, Canada

I hope tongue

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 18 Dec 07 1:44pm

Rraine

Occupation Archivist
From Maxville, Ontario, Canada
Member since Wed 15 Aug 07

Ashen,

Agree with you about the cocktail sauce....make my own with ingredients I generally keep about.  To spice it up just a bit, add a dash of Worchestire Sauce and/or Tobasco.  Wicked.  In a pinch the "President's Choice" is a good bet.

Likes (0)