forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 19 Dec 07 10:36am

bigmal81

Member since Wed 19 Dec 07

Turkey

Should you wash and rinse out your turkey before cooking ?

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 19 Dec 07 11:27am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Turkey

Always!

Rinse well in cold water, and pat dry inside and out with kitchen towels. This helps to remove surface contamination.

(Don't make the same mistake as my mother did one year - she washed the turkey, and then sprinkled it liberally with salt - only to discover she had inadvertently picked up a sample packet of washing powder instead of the same sized packet of salt - that year we had the cleanest turkey you can imagine - and the story is still told 40+ years on smile )

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 20 Dec 07 6:12am

anniemac

Member since Tue 13 Nov 07

Re: Turkey

I'm just imagining you all foaming at the mouth, Geoff, would have made for a memorable Christmas! smile

I've already passed this tip on to someone earlier, but will repeat it, because this was the best hint I found when it comes to turkey preparation

Brine your turkey if it's not a self-basting one. Makes a huge difference to the moistness and flavour.
This means soaking your fresh or thawed turkey in a salt & sugar (opt) solution overnight before cooking it.

I first saw this idea on a Nigella Lawson show, but this formula is from Pam Anderson, and is the one I use.

Full article at
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_q … i_n9961278

"Brine the turkey. If you don't follow another single word of my advice, try soaking the turkey in a bucket of salt water the night before roasting (1 cup of kosher salt and 2/3 cup optional sugar for every gallon of water). Three good things happen during the brining process: The salt water draws out the blood, cleansing the bird; the salt and water absorb into the turkey, causing the roasted bird to be juicier and to taste wonderfully seasoned from the skin right down to the bone; and sugar subtly rounds out the flavor and helps the turkey to brown. The turkey can be soaked in a small plastic bucket or large stockpot. For those in northern climates, it's usually cold enough in an unheated garage or basement at Thanksgiving (or even outside with a weighted lid) to store the soaking turkey overnight. If, however, you live in a warm climate and can't make room in the refrigerator (or don't have a spare one), dissolve the salt in a small amount of lukewarm water in an ice chest, and add ice water to cover the turkey. Two varieties of turkeys should not be brined -- kosher turkeys, which already have been coated in salt for a period of time at the processing plant, and self-basting turkeys, which have been injected with salted broth, fat and other seasonings."

If you don't have access to kosher salt, you can substitute plain coarse-grained sea salt, but don't use ordinary table salt, as its texture is too fine to be effective.

Hope this helps-  have a great Xmas.

Likes (0)