forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 05 Jan 08 1:26am

jk_vancouver

Member since Sat 05 Jan 08

Granite slab for baking pizza

I watched the Pizza episode on TV the other day. I got totally inspired by the pizzas that Jamie was making. I used to live in Italy and enjoy crunchy, thin crust pizzas baked in wood burning ovens. Living in Canada I get pizza every now and then, but they don't even come close to the ones I used to eat in Italy.

What caught my interest was Jamie's suggestion to have a slab of granite in the oven to bake the pizza on. I found a company in Vancouver that sells and installs granite countertops. They sold me a small slab that fits my oven perfectly (throwaway from a major installation) for a very reasonable price.

I baked my first pizza on the granite slab yesterday. For a first try the result was quite fantastic! I made some focaccia (dough simply seasoned with olive oil and spices). It puffed up beautifully! I also made some Margherita using Jamie's tomatoe sauce recipe, mozzarella (called bocconcini here), basil leaves and olive oil - yummy! I have some work to do on perfecting the dough, but the granite slab idea is absolutely brilliant  big_smile

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 05 Jan 08 9:09pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Granite slab for baking pizza

Some forum users have warned before that a natural stone can crack and that it is safer to use a special pizza stone.

Like you I use a granite slab though. It's a floor tile that I bought for about 1 Euro. I works wonderfully! I put it on my oven rack in the lowest possible position and preheat it with the oven at the highest setting (250°C in mine). Pizza takes about 7 minutes and comes out with a perfect thin, crunchy and yet fluffy crust.
Bread is nice from it too.

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 05 Jan 08 10:02pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

That'd be me. Natural stone can have natural inclusions that expand and contract differently to the material around it. They can crack (or even explode - rare) when heated. It is generally safer to use a pizza stone because it's more uniform. Just keep an eye out for cracks in it.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 10 Mar 08 5:14pm

Capt. Canada

Occupation Professional Moon Rock Collector
From Canada
Member since Mon 10 Mar 08

Found a stone quarry that's willing to cut me a slab of granite to fit the dimensions of my oven. Just a couple of questions for anyone using the granite slab

1) How heavy is it?

2) In the episode where jamie cooks the pizza in his oven, it looks like he places the slab directly onto the wire oven rack (i,e, slab is cut slighlty smaller than the width of the oven.). Won't his bend your rack?

3) how long does it take the slab to cool afterwards?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 10 Mar 08 6:05pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Capt. Canada.

Its heavy - though how heavy depends on the thickness.

It wont bend the rack significantly, since granite is rigid, and its supported near the edges of the rack.

Depends how thick it is - I'd certainly leave it in the oven, and retrieve it next day.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 20 Jun 08 3:28pm

laws81

Member since Fri 20 Jun 08

Hi guys,
Can the granite be polished? It doesn't have to be all rustic and rough does it?

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 21 Jun 08 5:39am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Granite can be polished - think granite benchtops

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 18 Sep 11 5:28pm

cinemaparadiso

Member since Sun 18 Sep 11

Hey everyone,

I also took Jamie's advice on the pizza stone recommendation.  Instead of granite, I found a nice piece of marble at a flea market.

Do you think this is okay to put in your oven and cook pizzas with...each of you seem to have bought granite.  What do you think of marble? 

Thanks,

Greg

Likes (0)