Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 19 May 08 12:36pm

Jamie

Chef
From Fifteen Restaurant, London
Member since Wed 24 Mar 04

15 minute meals....

Hi guys,

We lead such busy lives these days juggling work and family committments. How about we start a thread to discuss your favourite meals that can be made in under 15 minutes?

Love Jamie O xxx

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 19 May 08 12:41pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: 15 minute meals....

Gennaro's tuna and rocket pasta from Passione. Probably my favourite recipe (sorry Jamie).

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 19 May 08 12:48pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

The other quick dish I like to make is that fresh tomato one Jamie did on that show that was about quick meals - ie. quicker than packaged foods. It has impressed more than once, especially on rolling up to someone's place with a small bag of food and offering to cook dinner.

Quickest gluten free meal - instant polenta (yes I know) and a slightly reduced can of tomatoes (garlic, onion and basil if I have time); coated in parmesan.

Favourite tacky and decidedly un-foodie meal - tacos, the old el paso style. Very quick. If I don't have their seasoning mix I use ground cumin and coriander and a can of baked beans in the mince and it's fine.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 19 May 08 1:40pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

15 minute meals for hot summer days:
Pan fried or grilled hangar steaks.  Deglaze frying pan with red wine, butter and when serving top steak with the hot sauce, chopped fresh parsley.  Steamed corn on the cob and asparagus.. Fresh whole strawberries.

Salad compose with smoked duck breast, mixed lettuces, walnuts, walnut oil and balsamic vinegar.  Serve with baguette slices.  Fruit parfaits made with sugared fresh blackberries, French vanilla ice cream, amoretti di Sarona.

Smoked trout served with lime wedges, cream cheese, red, yellow and orange bell pepper rings, sliced baguette.  Add a side salad of sliced tomatoes, minced shallots, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sea salt, pepper surrounded by arugula.  Cantalope for dessert.

Sandwiches: Fill panini grillled bread with butter, cooked  pancetta, avocado, tomato slices, arugula.  Black plums and white peaches for dessert.

Last edited by MsPablo (Mon 19 May 08 3:46pm)

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 19 May 08 3:29pm

Acey

Occupation Computer Graphics Artist
Member since Wed 07 May 08

Hey Jamie - excellent thread!

Sea bass fillet poached in just water, some grated ginger root, salt, and sake or light white wine. Served with mayonnaise on top, freshly cracked black pepper and sqeezed lemon juice.

A side dish of fried eggplant cut lengthwise and crosswise, lightly fried with extra virgin olive oil until tender or until the eggplant has absorbed the oil. Served with a little japanese soy sauce drizzled on top.

yummy

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 19 May 08 4:44pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Jamie,  Thanks for this thread.  It will be interesting! smile

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 19 May 08 4:54pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

Ciao Jamie, bella sfida

eggplant grigliata on a flat piadina pan
ricotta mashed with erba cipollina
pomodori ciliegini cut into tiny pieces
then roll the grilled eggplant slices around a nut of ricotta+pomodorini and origano
a little Ooil extra vergine salt
just a veil of cream and pass into the oven for 10 min

meanwhile the water for spaghetti is ready,acciughe garlic  the top of a peperoncinoo and parsely make a savoured sughetto

if somebody has dressed the table and sliced the bread we can sit down pour a glas of cabernet and eat

buon appetito!

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 19 May 08 5:16pm

Pepijn

Member since Mon 19 May 08

Massimo's Pasta

I learned this very easy pasta dish when I worked in an Italian trattoria, we used to eat it in the kitchen and I have yet to meet a single person that doesn't like it. The sauce can be made while cooking the pasta and the ingredients can be bought just about anywhere.

For two you'll need:
250g red cherry tomatoes, quarted
2/3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
2/3 handfuls of fresh basil, leaves picked and roughly chopped
1 fresh red chilli, finely chopped
125g mozzarella, teared
extra virgin olive oil
250/300g spaghetti
sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Cook the spaghetti in salted boiling water according to the packet instructions until al dente and keep a little bit of the water when you drain. In the meantime cut, chop, tear and mix all the ingredients and put them in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Put the pasta and sauce together and mix it up real good, add some of the water or more olive oil if you like dip some bread after you finish eating your pasta.

It's no a very original dish, but it's one of my favourites and can be made anywhere! And the funny thing is it always tastes different, because it really depends on it's ingredients.

Pepijn-

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 19 May 08 8:23pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

This is what I made yesterday for lunch (our main meal) after church:

Fry 500 g minced meat (I use pork and beef half and half, but make your pick) till crumbly. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1 chopped onion and chopped ginger (1 walnut sized piece) and one chopped clove of garlic (optional) and fry shortly. Then 1  add finely sliced leek, one chopped red chili, 1 or 2 chopped bell peppers (optional), 200 ml vegetable stock, and leftover rice (refrigerated from day before), cover and cook for 5 minutes. Season to taste.

This was originally done without the rice in it, and rice served on the side. Now that I had leftovers and wanted to be quick, I just added it to the last phase and it worked very well.

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 20 May 08 1:53am

Yves L

Occupation I wan't my own coffee shop with good food!
From Canada, Quebec, Montreal
Member since Fri 20 Jul 07

What is good and quick is a little omelet with red pepper and a little frech chives, salt and pepper with a side of fresh simple salad.

Easy and quite good and simple.  Fast easy meal.   clap

Yves L

Likes (0)