forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 27 Jun 08 10:22pm

matt748

Member since Fri 27 Jun 08

sponge cake without eggs, nuts and dairy products

I'm trying to find a sponge cake that doesn't contain egg etc i can use a sunflower spread so that's the marg covered,My son is allergic to these products and will be having a party for his 5th b'day. I've looked online and have tried some recipes where u use veg oil......not nice. I do have an egg free powder but it's an aquired taste one of which i don't think his schol friends will like.  Any tried and tasted recipes are welcome, preferbly without half a ton of veg oil(or any other oil come to that) Thank-you smile

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 28 Jun 08 11:29am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: sponge cake without eggs, nuts and dairy products

Hi Matt

This isn't a sponge cake recipe per se, but could be baked as a sponge.  It's very light and extremely moreish - lasts for about 30 seconds in our house.  As my  husband and middle daugther are dairy free (as well as gluten-free), I can assure you that it works fine with margarine  thumbsup

Banana Loaf

3 over-ripe bananas
4 oz sugar
1 tspn baking powder
2 oz melted margarine/butter
6 oz self-raising flour

Thoroughly mash the banana and the sugar together.  Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.  Put into 2 1lb loaf tins and bake in the oven at 150C for 1 hour.  Cool on a wire rack, cut into slices to serve.  Freezable.

I'm quite sure that, if you adjust the baking time a little, you could make this in 2 8" sponge tins, and ice as usual - no-one would probably notice the difference!

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 28 Jun 08 5:16pm

Jeenas Recipes

From Maine USA
Member since Sun 20 Apr 08

Hi Matt you can have a look at http://jeenaskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/ … ecipe.html

or this link here http://jeenaskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/ … cipes.html  I do not know the style of cake that you are looking for but the first link does not use eggs or dairy for sure.   I hope you find a good recipe.  smile

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 28 Jun 08 5:20pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I've seen some beautiful ice cream cakes made with softened ice creams and sorbets, layered into faux shapes like watermelon, etc. for childrens' parties, maybe you could use soy milk ice cream and sorbet.  Who doesn't like ice cream?

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 29 Jun 08 7:02am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

what do you do to make that cake gluten free as well olivia?

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 29 Jun 08 10:14am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Hi White Rabbit

My secret weapon is Orgran or Dove's gluten-free self-raising flour.  The Orgran one is good, but needs to be eaten within 24 hours (although it freezes really well in slices), and the Dove's flour means that you simply can't taste the difference - it's a new product that went on sale in the UK (probably UK only) late last year.

Hope that helps a bit!

Olivia

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 29 Jun 08 11:39am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Thanks, we can get orgran here (as it's australian made/owned). White wings gluten free flour here is pretty good too.

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 02 Jul 08 8:12am

matt748

Member since Fri 27 Jun 08

Thanks everybody u'se been very helpful big_smile

Likes (0)