forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 17 Nov 08 12:33pm

monkeyboy3

From Scotland
Member since Fri 21 Apr 06

Turkey Crown??

Hello,

Was thinking of having a Turkey crown this year rather that a whole turkey. Can anyone suggest any good ideas on what to do with it? Also is it just as good as a whole turkey but less time messing around with it.

I am cooking for 5-6 people, usually just cook a whole turkey, but have heard a crown is becoming more popular.

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 17 Nov 08 1:22pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Turkey Crown??

A turkey crown is only for the lazy. Nowhere near as good as a whole bird - and you will probably find it dry unless you cook it very carefully. Cooking meat on the bone results in it being moister and more flavourful.

With a whole turkey you get both dark and light meat, and you have the bones left to make stock/soup.

Crown is indeed becoming more popular - but only because people can't be bothered to learn how to cook and carve - its the "Fast Food" generation thing.

Mind you, I am quite happy to see other people buying turkey crowns - it means I can buy Turkey legs at really cheap prices. Let them pay over the odds for an inferior product smile

If you must buy a turkey crown, don't get one of those watery frozen Bernard Matthews horrors - go to a decent butcher and order it fresh.

There are hundreds of different variations on recipes for turkey crowns, just google "turkey crown recipe":-

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=turkey+crown+recipe

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 17 Nov 08 1:29pm

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

I often use a turkey hindquarter, it's enough for us and always tender and juicy.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 17 Nov 08 3:19pm

GeoffP

Forum champ

Turkey hindquarters? Is that what's left after the crown is removed?

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 17 Nov 08 10:12pm

whitedog

Forum champ
Occupation striving to be a better human
From america
Member since Sat 09 Feb 08

Thighs are delicious, I've cooked a bunch of those. They're small though, no? I would saute up a bunch, if that's what I mean, saute to me means cook in a pan over med high heat til crispy done.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 17 Nov 08 10:53pm

GeoffP

Forum champ

Turkey thighs small? Where are you getting them from? - here the average turkey thigh will feed a family of four for a couple of days.

Generally, I can do a roast with a turkey thigh enough for four people, and then use the turkey drumstick to do a curry, stew or pie to feed another four.

In fact - have just done so this weekend - and a complete turkey leg (drumstick and thigh) only cost 2-00 from my local farm shop.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 18 Nov 08 12:21am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

A turkey hind  we buy here, depending on the size you buy, will easily feed 4 to 6 people and have some left for the lunch box the next day. It is a big piece of bird.

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 18 Nov 08 12:59am

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Geoff, you can insult people who don't go to your lengths of cooking, or you can offer some proper advice and leave them to their own devices.

Your pomposity is becoming quite tiresome.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 18 Nov 08 1:06am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

Oh the luxury of time!

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 18 Nov 08 6:09am

GeoffP

Forum champ

Apologies Beastie - wouldn't want to encroach on your territory - I'll leave the pomposity to you next time smile

Likes (0)