Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 04 Jan 09 4:02pm

Nilili

Member since Sun 04 Jan 09

conversion - tinned to dry pulses - help!

Hi, I don't really like using tinned chickpeas and beans and prefer to soak my own. But I'm having difficulties calculating what weight of dried pulses equals cooked tinned ones - for example, in Jamie's recipe for 'spanish chickpea and chorizo soup' it says to use 410g tin cooked chickpeas, drained. Does that mean that the 410g is drained weight or weight inc. water, before draining? Somewhere else I saw a choice between one can of chickpeas and 5 large handfuls of dry ones, but surely there's a more helpful and accurate conversion method? I know that chickpeas (and other pulses) can nearly triple in size while soaked, but this doesn't necessarily apply to weight. Can anyone help?
neutral

Last edited by Nilili (Sun 04 Jan 09 4:02pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 06 Jan 09 9:32pm

Nilili

Re: conversion - tinned to dry pulses - help!

... anyone?... help

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 06 Jan 09 10:01pm

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
Occupation Double Barrel Sheila
From Sauerkraut Country
Member since Mon 06 Oct 08

this might help:

1 lb dry beans = 2 1/2 cups dry beans = about 7 1/2 cups cooked beans
1 cup dry beans = about 3 cups cooked beans
14 oz/398 ml can beans = about 1 1/2 cups drained beans
19 oz/540 ml can beans = about 2 cups drained beans

and as far as i know, when a recipe mentions a certain tin size, it's usually referring to the weight of the contents including water, juice or whatever.

allora

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 06 Jan 09 10:55pm

Nilili

Thanks Allora! I've already seen the conversion tables referring to size - dry beans generally triple in size by the time they're cooked, that's true. My problem is weight, as in a recipe where the quantities are given as a certain weight of cooked beans or pulses and trying to calculate the weight of dry beans to use. I know for a fact that they don't triple in weigh only in size. Someone told me that 100g dry chick peas = 150g cooked chick peas, which sounds intuitively more correct, but would be great if someone knows for sure! I'm actually getting very curious as to why this seems so difficult to find out... hmm

Nilili

Last edited by Nilili (Tue 06 Jan 09 10:56pm)

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 07 Jan 09 1:11pm

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Nilli, when I use dried beans I use 1/3 cup dried and that generally gives me about the same quantity of a tin.

Although just lately I have been using tinned chickpeas lately and have found the brand I prefer is La Gina if you can get it in your country. They are the best I have found so far.

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 19 May 12 12:58pm

flossiesdoll

Member since Sat 19 May 12

I cook a lot of curries using beans and pulses and I have this problem a lot because I prefer to buy the dry versions which are cheaper. It's really hard to find decent dried/tinned conversions because most of the conversions on the web are American and they give the weight in cups. This is useless in Britain where recipes are given in weights - grams or ounces. Telling me three cups of dried beans is the same as a 10oz tin is no good given that we don't use cups and our tins are different sizes!

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 20 May 12 8:45am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Well, Allora did converse tin weight to cups for you ....

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 20 May 12 11:30am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I figured that 7 or 8 ounces/ about 225g of dried beans equals about a cup, and makes about 3 cups by the time they are cooked.
It does vary according to how big the bean is.
A tin seems to hold about a cup and a half.
It is a rare bean recipe that needs an exact amount of beans.
Basically: the poorer you are the more beans to sauce you make.
I'm not as poor as I sometimes think I am, as I can afford to have a lot more sauce per bean!  In some recipes I put half the suggested amount of beans. Mmm yum, beautiful sauce! cool

Re Jamie's recipe, I bet he was making it easy for people shopping, ie on the tin it will give the weight as 410g. That is the tin to buy for his recipe.
smile

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 20 May 12 4:36pm

flossiesdoll

Member since Sat 19 May 12

But like I say, converting into cups doesn't help anyone in the UK as we don't use cups as a measure. We use weight, not volume, for solids - grams or ounces.

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 20 May 12 5:38pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

To replace one 425 g. tin of beans use 99 g. of dried beans (1/2 cup dry beans)

1 part dry beans = 3 parts cooked beans

Likes (0)