forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 24 May 09 5:56pm

mzelis

Member since Sun 24 May 09

Histamine free/poor recipes

Anyone have some histamine free or poor recipes ?

We're having some friends over and want to cook something tasty and special  with little or no histamine in it.

help

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 24 May 09 10:14pm

doncarlo

Occupation At home
From Holland
Member since Fri 01 May 09

Re: Histamine free/poor recipes

Try smulweb.nl
with regards Charles from holland

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 25 May 09 1:33am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I've not heard of histamine intolerance before and I couldn't find out too much

There is about histamines in fish
http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/ind … poisoning/

And then I click though to another link and find more info (http://sacfs.asn.au/publications/talkin … /ate_3.htm):
Histamine intolerance

Histamine, and histamine-like substances called amines, occur naturally in foods, and can trigger symptoms that mimic allergy. This is particularly true of fermented foods that contain high quantities of the vasoactive amines such as Histamine, Phenylethylamine, Serotonin, Tyramine, and Dopamine. Vasoactive substances affect the diameter of blood vessels (vasodilating = widening, vasoconstricting = narrowing). Amines can act directly on small blood vessels to expand their capacity, perhaps accounting for their effects such as flushing, migraines and nasal congestion in some patients. Common symptoms of vasoactive amine ingestion are abdominal cramping, flushing, headache, palpitations and hypotension. [see chart of foods containing vaso-active amines, sidebar on this page] The symptoms are usually dose related, and occur when the enzyme that metabolises amines, diamine oxidase, does not work well enough to metabolise the amines ingested, or to handle high levels of amines when eaten in large amounts. Symptoms are worse in sensitive people with low levels of enzymes or if alcohol is consumed at the same time. Certain food chemicals such as benzoates, HBA, HBT, the food colour tartrazine, salicylates, nitrates and sulphites can inhibit these enzymes.

Certain non-histamine containing foods, and food chemicals, can trigger direct histamine release from Mast Cells. IgE is not involved in the reaction and specific IgE antibodies to these foods are not elevated. Foods that have been implicated in this type of reaction include: raw egg white, shellfish, strawberries, chocolate, citrus fruit, pineapple, tomatoes, alcohol, fish and pork meat, as well as salicylates and metabisulphites. The histamine liberated in this reaction will cause symptoms that may mimic true food allergy.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 25 May 09 1:34am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

The side bar info mentioned above:
Foods containing vaso-active amines

Histamine

Banana
Beef
Beer
Cheese (yellow, ripened)
Chicken liver
Eggplant / Aubergine
Fish (all fresh, frozen, canned)
Meat (all processed)
Salami
Sauerkraut
Soya, Soy products (fermented)
Spinach
Strawberry
Tamari
Tomato
Tomato sauce/puree
Wines (all)
Yeast

Tyramine

Beans (fermented)
Beer
Bovril, Bonox
Camembert
Yeast extracts (Vegemite, Marmite)
Cheese (ripened)
Chicken liver
Eggplant
Fava beans, broad beans
Meat (cured, processed)
Milk (dried)
Orange, citrus fruit
Pickled herring
Sauerkraut
Soy sauce, Miso, Tempeh
Wine
Yoghurt

Dopamine

Avocado
Banana
Fava beans, broad beans

Serotonin

Avocado
Banana
Kiwi
Octopus, squid
Pawpaw
Pecan
Pineapple
Plantain
Plum
Tomato
Walnut

Phenylethylamine

Cheesecake
Cheese (yellow)
Cherry/Raspberry pie filling
Chocolate
Cocoa
Mushroom
Red wine
Redcurrant pie filling
Strawberry (canned)

More about histamines in fish http://www.health.vic.gov.au/foodsafety … toxins.htm

and lastly a general information site about food intolerances http://www.cs.nsw.gov.au/RPA/Allergy/re … fintro.cfm

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 25 May 09 1:37am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Now it makes sense, i've known this intolerance as an amine intolerance. That list up there sounds about right. The chocolate is a real bummer.

If I were you I would ask your guest for information on what they can have or check what you are planning with them.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 30 Jul 09 7:47pm

KB22

Member since Thu 30 Jul 09

Hi,

The chocolate is a real bummer aie... but i don't know if you have learnt about the soft cheese that you can have yet? For the the soft kraft cheese sticks are the best you can get them in the with the normal cheese sections and they even taste good in a melted sandwitch...

I guess also lucky we can have fish that is fresh aie?

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 30 Jul 09 8:01pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

An easier approach is to find a list of what foods are ok to serve.

Likes (0)