forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 20 Aug 09 4:09pm

denizboro

Member since Wed 19 Aug 09

Fermented Root (beet, carrot, turnip) Drink

I just watched Jamie at Home making fantastic dishes with carrots, beets and turnips. I just had to add my favourite Turkish drink made of beetroot and purple carrots. This carrot variety may be native to the Eastern part of Turkey because I do not normally find it in Istanbul. But I believe the receipt would work for any type of sweet root like the above:
Parboil and cut the roots in 2 inch cubes. Place them in a big jar and add brine (salt to taste). Water should be about 4 times the volume of the roots. Dissolve a tablespoon of dry yeast in hot water, add about a handful of bulgur wheat and wait for half an hour. Add this mixture to your jar. Cover the top of your jar with a kitchen cloth. Leave it to ferment for 2-3 weeks. Drink the juice cold with a few of the roots added to the glass. I like to put a few drops of Tabasco in it. I actually add hot red pepper as it is fermenting. dribble
P.S.: If you drink more than 2-3 glasses it may cause instant diarrhoea.

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 20 Aug 09 4:15pm

mincepie

Forum champ
From uk
Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

Re: Fermented Root (beet, carrot, turnip) Drink

Sorry, but I cant think of many things more disgusting. But then I havent tried this  ...................and never will. Sounds  hmm  dodgy.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 20 Aug 09 4:28pm

Torilla

Forum champ
Occupation Student , Hobby Chef
From Bavaria, South Germany
Member since Sat 30 Jun 07

Well, some of the most famous drinks are produced by fermenting just think of k kombucha  a or the in Germany very very popular organic lemonade 'Bionade'.

I could imagine this to be really healthy. I think I'll have a go at it as i have many carrots and beets in my garden now anyway.

Last edited by Torilla (Thu 20 Aug 09 4:30pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 20 Aug 09 5:14pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

Sounds amazing denizboro! I'm trying a gingerbeer right now but I wan't to try yours!

You don't add any sugar? How long do you ferment? At what temperature?

I'd love if you shared any other Turkish recipes with us, you have so nice cusine!

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 20 Aug 09 9:57pm

denizboro

This tastes a bit like pickle juice but pickle juice taste different in Turkey. No need to add sugar. You just want to ferment the glucose in the roots not get it alcoholic. Fermenting the sugar in them makes it a bit sour and strong. You should ferment it for 15 days in room temperature. Taste it after 2 weeks, if it still has the smell or taste of yeast continue to ferment it one more week. Last year I used 3 kgs black carrots and 2 kg common carrats and added 16lts water. The juice should be deep purple.
It is usualy served with kebabs and lahmacun (a pancake with spicy minced meat).
Especially Western Anatolia Turkish mezes are similar to Greek side dishes like Pilaki, Cacik, Haydari.
Mized 2 cups of strained yogurt, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tablespoon of dried mint and salt, and you get a beautiful uzo (raki) side dish  wink
East Anatolia dishes are more Nomadic dishes with lots of cooking with lamb meat.
This drink is rich in iron.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 21 Aug 09 10:57am

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

God we have so many things in common denizboro. I must admit thought that Greek cusine is very bad and has not many authentic dishes anymore, but yours is very very traditional and above all tasty!

I'll definitely try the recipe, though I can't understand how the juice get's sour, because bought yeast doesn't produce any acid like lactobacilli bacteria or other microorganisms do.

I love the way Turkish make the lamb meat...I'm starting to get hungry  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 21 Aug 09 12:45pm

denizboro

Try a very simple shish kebab marinate that works with lamb and chicken. Mix equal quantities of tomato paste, yogurt, olive oil, salt and pepper. Place the chops in this mixture for half an hour. Oil and yogurt decompose the meat and make it softer. All of them seal the meat and keep the juices in. The marinate gets burned at first when you place the shish on fire but that adds to the taste.
I believe Musakka is the healthiest vegetable cooking you can get. So is pilav rice and bean pilaki.

Likes (0)