forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 13 Sep 09 12:26am

RANDIFRIEDMAN

From usa
Member since Sat 12 Sep 09

Salmon Gravlax with beets

While visiting my daughter in England in the spring I cut a  Jamie Oliver recipe out of a magazine for a salmon gravlax that was cured with beets. I am pretty sure there were juniper berries in the recipe as well since I purchased a handful at the market in Cambridge. The dish looked absolutely beautiful, like a sunset, as the orange color of the salmon gradually shaded to red from the beets. Unfortunately, in my travels I have misplaced the recipe. Please help!! I really want to make this lovely recipe.

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 13 Sep 09 7:24am

ljbritt50

Occupation Gluten Free Cooking Coach and College Cooking Instructor
From Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Member since Sat 03 Jan 09

Re: Salmon Gravlax with beets

It sounded wonderful so I went looking ... is this it?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jami … index.html

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 13 Sep 09 11:51am

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
Occupation Double Barrel Sheila
From Sauerkraut Country
Member since Mon 06 Oct 08

i couldn't find jamies version of gravlax with beetroot but found a similar recipe here
http://www.great-salmon-recipes.com/gravlax02.html ......crushed red peppercorns, dill seeds &  coriander seeds make a great addition to the marinade too .

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 15 Sep 09 12:35am

RANDIFRIEDMAN

From usa
Member since Sat 12 Sep 09

Although both recipes sound terrific, neither one is the original. Do you know what magazines in England run a food column by Jamie? The name of the recipe didn't have gravlax in it if I remember correctly. It was quite simple with only a few ingredients: salmon, beet, gin maybe, juniper berries, sugar maybe. It would have been wrapped in plastic wrap at least 24 hours before serving. The article had color photos of the orange salmon with red edges from beet. I gave a copy to one of my daughter's friends while I was in England so perhaps we can track her down and see if she still has it.... to be continued

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 15 Sep 09 5:22pm

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
Occupation Double Barrel Sheila
From Sauerkraut Country
Member since Mon 06 Oct 08

sorry, still no jamie recipe but this one contains gin,juniper and sugar but no beetroot http://www.recipezaar.com/Gin-and-Junip … lax-235050  ... i'd just grate some raw beetroot and add that to the mixture .

Last edited by Allora Andiamo (Tue 15 Sep 09 5:23pm)

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 07 May 10 9:27pm

silks

Member since Fri 07 May 10

RANDIFRIEDMAN wrote:

While visiting my daughter in England in the spring I cut a  Jamie Oliver recipe out of a magazine for a salmon gravlax that was cured with beets. I am pretty sure there were juniper berries in the recipe as well since I purchased a handful at the market in Cambridge. The dish looked absolutely beautiful, like a sunset, as the orange color of the salmon gradually shaded to red from the beets. Unfortunately, in my travels I have misplaced the recipe. Please help!! I really want to make this lovely recipe.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 07 May 10 9:29pm

silks

Member since Fri 07 May 10

Hey, Im new to this forum, but I have the recipe and the video if you are still interested?

smile

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 08 May 10 12:47am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Welcome Silks! smile

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 08 May 10 8:09am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I think that a version of this made on one of the shows in the most recent series. I will see if I can find it somewhere .

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 08 May 10 8:40am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Silks has it Mummza! But the Original Request was from long ago! smile

Likes (0)