forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 20 Jan 10 7:36pm

steadiesteddies

Member since Wed 20 Jan 10

Endives - what can I use instead?

Hi,

I have a recipe that I would like to try for a bacon and endive salad and wondering what I could use instead of endives.

I had never heard of them before today! but can't seem to find them to buy anywhere!

thx for your help

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 20 Jan 10 7:43pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Re: Endives - what can I use instead?

Whereabouts are you?  If you're in the UK, Waitrose always has them, as do the bigger Sainsbury's.  They're also known as chicory, if that helps.  You could probably use radicchio if you can find that, it's similar in taste and a very pretty red colour.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 20 Jan 10 7:45pm

mc.romero

Occupation Ending my veterinary studies
From Spain

Endive itīs like a little lettuce, but the taste itīs more bitter. Itīs very usually to eat endives in Spain, e.g. only with vinegar and salt.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 20 Jan 10 7:48pm

steadiesteddies

quick reply ! smile

tescos doesn't seem to have them but does have chicory. I had read elsewhere that they were different....

as sneezles says in an old thread on this forum.

but if it is very similar to chicory then I have a solution. The recipe does seem to refer to curly leaves.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 20 Jan 10 10:04pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Curly endive is also called frisee.  It's often included in bagged salad mixes.  But the "straight" chicory/Belgian endive is the same family - like curly or flatleaf parsley.  Not much difference in taste, really.

Likes (0)