Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 25 Jan 10 7:30pm

jamie

Chef
From Fifteen Restaurant, London
Member since Wed 24 Mar 04

Chilli jam - I just love it!!

Hi Guys,

As you know I am a "chilli freak" and I just love chilli jam on bread with some really nice cheese. So this week I thought that we could chat about chilli jams - what is your favourite recipe? Do you use different types of chillies? What other savoury jams and chutneys do you make?

I look forward to reading your responses.

Big love

Jamie O xx

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 25 Jan 10 7:34pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Re: Chilli jam - I just love it!!

There was a thread on combining apple and chilli over in Recipe Swap - chilli jam might work well in pastry parcels with some cheese, too.  I'm really keen to try something like that but haven't had a chance to experiment yet.

I like it on toast with goats' cheese.  Looking forward to reading some other ideas.   yummy

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 25 Jan 10 7:37pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

I'm a complet chilli rookie.
I have 6 types of seeds from Mexico I'll be planting in Feb/March.

As soon as I have my chillies harvested I'll be experimenting.
I have loads of jars saved up.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 25 Jan 10 7:59pm

Beautiful BC

Forum champ
From British Columbia, Canada
Member since Wed 04 May 05

I've never had chilli jam.  sad   I'll have to try and make some.  wink

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 25 Jan 10 7:59pm

plum1977

From Poland
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I love chillies!!! I add it to every dish I can smile In Poland fresh chillies are only in august/september and then I buy it  and dry. I love chutney from chillies and pumpkins. Dish which I love the most is chilli con carne (of course smile and chicken legs with chilli sauce and banana and pineapple smile I'm going to grow my own chilli on the window sill:) I'm wonder what will come of this? smile

Last edited by plum1977 (Mon 25 Jan 10 8:01pm)

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 25 Jan 10 8:54pm

runwestierun

Forum champ
Occupation Volunteer
From Oregon Coast USA
Member since Sat 22 Nov 08

There's a restaurant here that serves chili jam to every table.  When you arrive, you are given a plate of grilled bread and 3 jams:  red chili jam, jalapeno jam and garlic jam.  Oh it is so good and so addictive!  The owner is super cool.  In the summer when the chilis are ripe he is at the Farmer's Market with his red wagon full of chilis for his year's worth of jam. 

There's a lady at the same market who sells a sweet habanero jam that is so good, too.  I can't get any of my provincial farmer neighbors to like it ("Did you hear she tried to kill Ed again?  Yeah, this time with some pepper jelly.") but I llloooooooooovvve it!

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 25 Jan 10 9:46pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I've had pepper jelly, it's good.  I've never made it.

I bet prickly pear and chili would make a great jam.  If you can get prickly pear.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 25 Jan 10 10:26pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I have never made chilli jam , must have a go sometime.

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 25 Jan 10 11:36pm

ACDC

Forum champ
Occupation Bewitched, bothered and bewildered Mother
From Ireland
Member since Tue 19 Aug 08

This is the recipe I use.  Pasted from and earlier post. (Too lazy to type it all again.... roll )

This one is from The River Cottage Family cookbook. I have made it, it's quite hot but delicious with cold meats. I've posted it before somewhere here, and at that stage hadn't made it. Now, I can definitely recommend it.   
The first time I made this my boys found it too hot, so next time I just left out the seeds, I'll train them over time.   

REDCURRANT AND CHILLI JAM

300gm redcurrants
1-2 red Mexican chillies
5cm piece of fresh root ginger
3 oranges
150gm granulated sugar

Put a saucer in the freezer.
Put the redcurrants in a saucepan.
Chop the chillies, pop them into the pan, seeds as well
Peel and grate the ginger, add to the pan.
Peel the zest from half an orange and cut into thin strips, add to the pan.
Half the oranges and add their juice and the sugar to the pan.
Heat on low and stir the juice and fruit together until sugar has dissolved, keeping it on a low heat. Check on the back of a wooden spoon to ensure all the sugar is gone, You will be able to feel and see it if not dissolved.
Now bring to the boil and simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.
Check for a test by putting a teaspoon of the jam on the frozen saucer, wait a couple of seconds and run your finger through the jam, if it wrinkles it has reached setting point if not keep boiling and testing every 3 or 4 minutes, once it reaches setting point, take off the heat straight away.
If you are using a sugar thermometer it needs to be 105 degrees centigrade.
Pot up into your hot sterilised jar and lid it immediately.

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 25 Jan 10 11:56pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

What I really love is Asian Chile sauce. (It's more sweet than spicey) It's the only dip I need for lumpia, dumplings or any other Asian appetizer.

Eddie

Last edited by SonomaEddie (Mon 25 Jan 10 11:56pm)

Likes (0)