forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 13 Aug 10 2:48am

jonticleer

Occupation Student
From Southend-on-Sea, Essex, UK.
Member since Wed 30 Jun 10

Blackberry Vinegar

I defrosted a whole batch of last year's blackberrys a few days ago and decided to make blackberry vinegar. So I poured an amount of vinegar to cover the berries and have left it to do it's work. I used cheap dark vinegar and have been told that this is not appropriate and shouldn't bother going any further with the process as I will never get to a decent blackberry vinegar as the dark vinegar is nowhere near subtle enough to allow the blackberries to flavour it.

I will have the opportunity to collect another batch of blackberries in a few days so if anyone has a recipe/process for making blackberry vinegar, or indeed blackberry brandy as a friend suggested, or anything else blackberry related that doesn't involve baking, then please get in touch!!

thanks so much... Johnny .

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 13 Aug 10 4:33am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Re: Blackberry Vinegar

Black berry jelly is one of my annual projects.  I always make a few batches.  Also, blackberry ice cream.  I have a wonderful recipe that makes a delish ice cream.

2 cups blackberries
1 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Method
Puree berries in a food processor annd force through a fine strainer to remove seeds.  Add sugar to cream and mix until dissolved.  Stir in berry puree and lemon juice.  Freeze in ice cream machine. 

Hope you'll try this; it's great!

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 13 Aug 10 4:46am

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

I looove blackberry jelly.  Haven't made it since I lived in Tennessee, but one of my favorite things to do with it was make Tennessee jam cake.  Basically a blackberry and spice cake with a caramel frosting.  Hadn't thought of that for years.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 13 Aug 10 5:49am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Do you have a recipe, Nanster?  Would love to make that sometime.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 13 Aug 10 9:10am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Johnny , there used to be a book called 'Food For Free' that was all about what you could eat by foraging in the countryside etc. I would think that one of those type of recipe books might be a good place to start looking.
Try you local library , they might have a similar book .
I agree that malt vinegar was probably the wrong flavour to go with the blackberries .

Sorry I am not much help.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 21 Aug 11 9:44pm

artypie

Member since Thu 28 Jan 10

I have done blackberry vinegar using ordinary malt vinegar and it turned out fine but I can't remember which recipe I used. Mrs Beeton has a raspberry vinegar recipe that says use 3 pints vinegar to 4 1/2 pints raspberries. She divides the raspberries into 3 lots of 1 1/2 pints, puts the vinegar on the first lot for 24 hours, strains it and puts the liquid onto a fresh batch of fruit for 24 more hours, strains and uses the liquid on the third batch of fruit for another 24 hours. After that the fruit vinegar is strained off through a cloth soaked in vinegar and measured. To each pint of liquor she adds a pound of granulated sugar and dissolves it over a bain marie, skimming any scum off. I suspect this recipe would hold good if blackberries were used, but I would be inclined to simplify it and just soak all the fruit in all the vinegar for 2-3 days, if it will go in, then strain and add the sugar to the liquor and simmer it in a saucepan to reduce the water content a little before bottling in clean bottles and sealing.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 21 Aug 11 9:51pm

artypie

Member since Thu 28 Jan 10

Oh and I forgot to add, blackberry vinegar drizzled over yorkshire pudding is great, but not on the same plate as the meat, lol. Also use it as a cold cure at the first sign of a cold or sore throat. Make it like squash with hot water from the kettle and drink, instead of your powdery hot lemon jobs. One year my work colleague and I had hot raspberry or blackberry vinegar on a daily basis and neither of us got a cold or sore throat all year. Didn't do much for our reputation as a pair of vinegary old bats but hey..... lol

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 21 Aug 11 11:34pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

Likes (0)