forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 13 Nov 11 1:42am

Clanger

Occupation Traffic Administrator
From Kettering
Member since Wed 14 Apr 10

Slow Cooker Recipes

Got myself a nice little crock-pot for my birthday (about time getting one).

Has anyone have any interesting recipes for me to experiement with?

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 13 Nov 11 3:41pm

mr edmundo

From Lincolnshire, UK
Member since Sat 30 Jul 11

Re: Slow Cooker Recipes

How about the dish I'm doing next weekend, traditional Italian sunday gravy....meatballs, ribs, pork and beef braciole stewed down in marinara sauce.  yummy

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 13 Nov 11 3:45pm

mr edmundo

From Lincolnshire, UK
Member since Sat 30 Jul 11

Or Moroccan lamb/chicken tagine is perfect for a slow cooker.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 13 Nov 11 6:29pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Hello Clanger,

Heres the slow cooker thread with plenty ideas, hopefully more can be added to it.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=44360

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 13 Nov 11 8:04pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

The slow cooker cooked a beautiful cream of tomato soup today yummy

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 13 Nov 11 9:46pm

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

Curries, Chilli's, Cassoulet, Stifado .....the list is endless. I also do my Steak and Kidney for pies and puddings in mine. I understand that Pulled Pork is good in it too.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 15 Nov 11 11:32am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Jamie does some recipes that translate wonderfully to the slow cooker. Basically any of the slow-cooked meat recipes. One I've had great success with is the Steak, Guinness and Cheese Pie (http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef … with-a-puf) from Jamie at Home - do the filling in the slow cooker and then bake with pastry in the oven.

When translating any stew to the slow cooker, you need to reduce the amount of liquid, and if the recipe calls for flour, increase that a bit too. Can't give you exact proportions, but you want the consistency of the stew when it goes in to be similar to what you want when it's finished - whereas a stew for the oven or stovetop is always much more liquid to start with.

Other good ones that come to mind are the rabbit stew in Cook with Jamie (no recipe online) and the Melt-In-Your-Mouth Shin Stew (http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef … -shin-stew), also from Cook with Jamie, and the Southern Red Beans and Pork (no recipe online) from Jamie's America.

There are loads of others that I haven't tried, not just stews, you can do great pot-roast meat in the slow cooker, and with that you can usually just follow the recipe with no adaptation - except any pre-browning must be done in a separate pan, which you then deglaze and add the liquid to the slow cooker, and they'll need longer in the slow cooker, usually about 8-10 hours on Low or 5 on High.

There are some recipes coming up in the Jamie's Great Britain series that I can't wait to try in the slow cooker - a whole beef shin on the bone, and a crazy rabbit ragu where everything goes in whole, even the onions! Hoping to get that book for Christmas!

Last edited by hippytea (Tue 15 Nov 11 11:35am)

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 15 Nov 11 11:37am

hippytea

From Scotland

Just to add, if you do translate a recipe to the slow cooker and it turns out a bit watery, mix flour and butter into a paste and stir it in - it's a great rescue! if you have loads and loads of watery gravy, though, there's probably nothing for it but to spoon it off and reduce it in a pan - and tweak the proportions a bit more next time.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 15 Nov 11 11:46am

hippytea

From Scotland

AND sorry, I just can't leave this alone - I cooked a whole chicken in my huge (6.5 litre) slow cooker on Sunday with baked potatoes and carrots! Really good, chicken was like an oven-steamed chicken and potatoes like a slightly denser version of normal baked potatoes. Carrots were great.

I didn't add anything to the chicken, a bit of oil and salt would have made it brown a bit but my MIL has real problems with fat and needed to save herself for pudding. Nothing added to the potatoes, just washed and wedged in - but again, a very light coating of oil and some salt would probably have improved them -, and the carrots were cut in sticks and wrapped in foil parcels with a bit of honey and orange juice.

Everything was piled up on a rack above a very thin layer of water (which turns to steam to get the cooking started). If you want to try this, you need to lift everything up or the chicken grease will soak into the potatoes and the chicken will get waterlogged and disintegrate. If you don't have a rack, crumple up some aluminium foil into balls, fill the bottom of the slow cooker with the balls and put the food on top.

Cook on High for about 5 hours. We put it on about 8 (we have a kid who wakes up early!) and it was ready for lunch at 1. The bottom of the slow cooker will fill with liquid - do not throw it away! Under the deep layer of schmaltz, there is the most wonderful jellied chicken stock which makes amazing gravy.

Warning, if you don't have a rack, the chicken's legs will fall off when you lift it out. This is normal!

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 15 Nov 11 2:08pm

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

I've also done a whole duck in a slow cooker, just season and add nothing else. It's an excellent way of getting all the fat out of it, it's probably work with a goose too. Confit du canard anybody?

Likes (0)