forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Thu 20 Nov 08 7:29pm

niteowl

Member since Wed 29 Oct 08

Re: Amuse Bouche

C'mon guys, you must have more amuse bouche recipes than this!  I am still looking for good ideas for xmas day - easy to prepare if poss as so much to do already!  Beasty, you said you'd simplify yours for me!  I'm looking for ideas for 'one bite' type ideas or starters that I can adapt.  I like the idea of mini beef wellingtons, but am worried that the beef would overcook before the pastry is ready with it being such a small piece, I also like the sound of the asparagus wrapped in proscuttio but am nervous of the asparagus being raw whilst the ham is well done!   help

Likes (0)

#22 Thu 20 Nov 08 9:08pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Well, then, blanch the asparagus before wrapping it in the ham.

Wrap the beef in a crepe before wrapping it in the pastry. You could, also, try filo pastry in place of shortcrust pastry. I've no idea whether or not it would work, but experiment well in advance of the big day.

I'm not sure how much I could simplify my amuse without altering the concept of the dish.

I mean, it's shredded beef placed on top of diced tomato flesh with the pulp sieved and reduced.

If you have a soda siphon, you can put fruit in it (grapes, citrus fruits, apples will work really well), charge the cannister and leave it overnight to produce fizzy fruit.

Make some choux paste, mix in some crab meat (ideally fresh) and form into quenelles. Deep fry the paste to make bite-size beignets.

A popular amuse now is bite sized fish and chips, served in a paper cone.

Sliders are also good (bite sized burgers. Brioche bun, a selection of meats, such as beef, pork and veal, and whatever else you fancy. Maybe a nice dressing or relish, and a bit of salad)

Try a filo pastry tartlet, with parma ham in the base, a quartered fig, a nice, white cheese (e.g goat's cheese) and finished with a drizzle of fig honey (fig pulp, honey, splash of white wine, reduce to syrup consistency, pass through a chinois, add lemon juice to taste)

Try lobster bisque in an espresso cup. You could serve the crab beignet on the side.

Beef fillet carpaccio served with micro salad and a suitable dressing (e.g. lime and ginger; orange and chilli; horseradish)

Strips of cold smoked salmon marinated in an Asian style dressing (rice vinegar, ginger, orange, wasabi, brown sugar)

Scallop topped with a pan fried quail egg and a sprinkling of crispy prosciutto flakes

Venison tarter served on a croute and topped with a quail egg yolk

Twice baked new potato stuffed with chilli, topped with sour cream and lime zest

Likes (0)

#23 Thu 20 Nov 08 9:20pm

niteowl

Member since Wed 29 Oct 08

Thanks Beastie, you always deliver! x

Likes (0)

#24 Tue 13 Jan 09 4:08pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I saw on an episode of Julia Child, Cooking with Master Chefs, a savory choux pastry carefully piped into mini eclair shapes with two fillings, each was geared to the filling, the one I remember fairly well was choux pastry with a bit of vegetable stock in lieu of a small amount of the milk and fresh dill, they had a lovely color from this combination, the filling was smoked salmon flavored cream cheese, again, carefully piped into each mini eclair.  I'm sure you can come up with any number of combinations.

Likes (0)

#25 Thu 02 Sep 10 8:37pm

Kohlruss

Occupation Soux Chef
From Mattise, Victoria B.C. Canada
Member since Thu 02 Sep 10

Greetings;

try this one, it is simple and flavorful

take a basic crepe and cut the edges off making it a rectangle. spread a lemon zest creme fraiche  over the inside. then sprinkle some fresh dill. on the bottom long side of the crepe, make a layer of cold smoke salmon. roll the crepe up real tight and cut in 1/4 inch pieces. put some of the lemmon creme fraiche in a small squize bottle with a fine tip. lay the cut crepe roll on the delecate chinese wonton spoon and squize a little of the creme fraiche  on top. add a little flying fish roe( preferably the red died stuff) on top of the creme fraiche  and a little peice of fresh dill.

try it out and tell me what you think

Steve

Likes (0)

#26 Fri 03 Sep 10 3:36am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Wow Steve, that sounds amazing!
Welcome here! smile

Likes (0)

#27 Sat 04 Sep 10 7:56pm

Kohlruss

Occupation Soux Chef
From Mattise, Victoria B.C. Canada
Member since Thu 02 Sep 10

well thank you JoyYamDaisy. i will try to add more in the future. another good idea is using a gazpacho with a litle sprinkle of crushed masalas pea. make sure you use gin in the gazpacho it realy makes a differance

Likes (0)