forum: Bacon

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 05 Feb 09 8:54pm

Nutty Nette

Occupation Facilities Manager
From Hemel
Member since Wed 17 Dec 08

Re: What to do with leftover pork

My mum always put every thing in a blender individually meat, first then all left over roast veg, then the boiled veg. Nothing wasted, mix in left over gravy ( if it,s all gone use tomatoes, fresh or tinned drained. Put into pastry Cornish pastry style pasty or a pie with puff topping. Always beats a sandwich hot or cold. Works with any meat perfect working lunch for me still today. yummy

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 05 Feb 09 9:24pm

emilkeel

Member since Tue 03 Feb 09

With left over roast pork, I always make up some chicken or vegie stock, put slices in container and cover with stock, and freeze.  Whenever I want roast meat for school lunches etc, I just microwave it. Not to mention a quick roast meal, I just add fresh vegies,  or salad.  As in Australia it is often too hot during summer for a full roast dinner, we quite often have our roasts with salad. Instead of baked vegies.

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 07 Feb 09 6:32pm

HelzBellz

Member since Sat 07 Feb 09

I'm cooking the 7-hour roast shoulder at the moment.  Tomorrow I will be stir-frying some of the leftover shredded pork with soy sauce, chopped chilli and spring onions, and rolling it into chinese pancakes, a bit like duck.  I will probably freeze the rest of the shredded meat and make special fried rice out of some of it.

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 07 Feb 09 9:07pm

LouLucky13

Occupation ministry of justice
From Cardiff
Member since Sat 24 Jan 09

HelzBellz wrote:

I'm cooking the 7-hour roast shoulder at the moment.  Tomorrow I will be stir-frying some of the leftover shredded pork with soy sauce, chopped chilli and spring onions, and rolling it into chinese pancakes, a bit like duck.  I will probably freeze the rest of the shredded meat and make special fried rice out of some of it.

we tried this with leftover turkey at christmas and it was awesome!

in fact.... i don't think i'd both to do it with duck from scratch again

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 07 Feb 09 9:08pm

LouLucky13

Occupation ministry of justice
From Cardiff
Member since Sat 24 Jan 09

bet you could do some kind of paprakash? adding paprika and chilli and bit of stock and sour cream or something? goulashy stylee? maybe some fried kidneys too?

yum

Likes (0)

#16 Sat 07 Feb 09 10:36pm

ACDC

Forum champ
Occupation Bewitched, bothered and bewildered Mother
From Ireland
Member since Tue 19 Aug 08

In this Ken Hom recipe he reccommends using leftover BBQ pork or cooked ham. I've done it with left over roast pork and it is delicious. It does have a long list of ingredients but is quite easy to put together.

SINGAPORE NOODLES
from Ken Hom's Simple Chinese Cookery
serves six to eight
prep time 20 minutes
plus 25 to soak noodles
15 minutes to cook
So an hour in total not so bad

Ingredients
225g (8oz) thin dried rice noodles
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon salt (I use a pinch)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons groundnut oil or equivalent
1 1/2 tablespoons coarsely chopped garlic
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh root ginger
6 fresh red or green chillies, seeded and finely shredded
6 water chesnuts, peeled and sliced
50g (2oz) chinese black mushrooms, soaked, stems removed and finely shredded
(I've used field mushrooms finely sliced if no dried in the cupboard)
100g (4oz) Chinese BBQ pork or cooked ham, finely shredded
3 spring onions, finely shredded
100g 4(oz) cooked small prawns, shelled
175g (6oz) small, sweet frozen peas, thawed.
Fresh coriander leaves, to garnish

for the curry sauce
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
3 tablespoons Indian Madras curry paste or powder
2 tablespoons Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt ( I use a pinch )
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
250ml (8fl oz) tinned coconut milk
175ml (6fl oz) fresh chicken stock

Method
1.  Soak rice noodles in a bowl of warm water for 25 minutes, drain. In a small bowl combine and beat the eggs with the sesame oil, salt and pepper and set aside.
2.  Heat a wok over a high heat then add the groundnut oil. When it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the garlic, ginger and chillies and stir fry for 30 seconds.
4.  Add the water chesnuts, mushrooms, pork or ham and spring onions and stir fry for 1 minute.
5.  Add the drained rice noodles, prawns and peas and stir fry for another 2 minutes.
6. Add all the curry sauce ingredients and cook over a high heat for 5 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
7. Now pour the egg mix over the noodles and stir fry constantly until the egg has set.
8.  Turn the noodles onto a large platter or bowl, garnish with coriander leaves and serve at once.

This is great if a big crowd over for the weekend and you have a roast on Friday night, then use up the leftovers on the Saturday.

Likes (0)

#17 Sat 07 Feb 09 11:56pm

pork_belly

Occupation Boring job - but work from home
From london & wales
Member since Tue 03 Feb 09

I hate using ketchup in recipes -
my fried rice is the best....

boil up some rice - leave to cool

fry up some veg - mushroom, onion, peppers ....
steam some too - broccoli, carrots, mange tout
boil some - peas.....
you get the idea....

hot pan....
some chinese 5 spice - sugar and seasoning....
add some beat up eggs - add soya sauce - keep stirring

chuck in the pre-cooked selection from above - rice first - more soy sauce
and the left over pork..

ET VOILA - SPECIAL FRIED RICE

Last edited by pork_belly (Sun 08 Feb 09 12:06am)

Likes (0)

#18 Sun 08 Feb 09 1:34am

HelzBellz

Member since Sat 07 Feb 09

I LOVE Singapore noodles and the fried rice dish looks fabulous too.  thanks!  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#19 Sat 08 Oct 11 2:41pm

vick_b

Member since Sat 08 Oct 11

Nasi Goreng is a fabulous Indonesian dish. This version was cut out of a newspaper 30-odd years ago; I found all sorts of other versions on Google but can only vouch for the deliciousness of this one!

Cook some rice with (frozen) peas.

Fry onion and garlic in oil or butter; add cumin & coriander & some chilli powder or flakes and fry through; add peanut butter and soy sauce; mix in chopped pork (can alternatively be made with chicken, prawns, mushroom...) and then the rice and peas. Top with strips of omelette and slices of tomato. 30 minutes start to finish; fragrant and delicious.

Likes (0)

#20 Sat 08 Oct 11 2:54pm

vick_b

Member since Sat 08 Oct 11

P.S. I made it today (and I still have some leftover pork, which is how I ended up on this forum!) with chinese yellow curry paste and it was wonderful.

Likes (0)