forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 25 Apr 12 11:20am

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

When do the number of substituted ingredients make it a new recipe?

Tonight I was making a "pumpkin" fettuchini for dinner and got out all the ingredients that were needed. This might sound a bit obvious until you take into account all the different things from normal needed in a house full of food allergies and intolerances.

For the sauce
No pumpkin in sight instead - orange sweet potato
No butter - dairy free margarine
No cream - fat reduced, lactose free cream substitute
Very Limited onion and garlic
We did have pine nuts, that particular allergy person was away 
Salt and pepper ok.

At which point does this sound like a completely different dish to the one I started out making?  roll

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 25 Apr 12 12:43pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: When do the number of substituted ingredients make it a new recipe?

lol  Now all you need to make it right is to come up with some classy new names for your dishes.  That way, no sticklers will be on your case about 'what is the real bolognese'! tongue

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 25 Apr 12 2:58pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

lol  thumbsup  thumbsup ( clap )

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 25 Apr 12 3:47pm

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Well, did you at least use fettuchini pasta? If not, start brainstorming a new name. Or just put "faux" in front of the name, makes the dish sound even fancier and nobody can complain about authenticity. mrgreen

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 25 Apr 12 5:27pm

mark's kitchen

Occupation Head cook, Mark's Kitchen & Smokin' BBQ
From santa rosa,california,usa
Member since Mon 21 Jun 04

Off the top of my head I would say when you substitute any ingredient in a published recipe, you have made a new "version". It is apparent that there are many versions of typical recipes, look up any recipe on food network and you will see many versions. You technically have not created a new recipe just a new version. Unless there are so many substituitons
that the theme of the original is gone.
But no worries, recipes are like training wheels on a bike, they get you going in the right direction and eventually you take them off.
yummy
Mark

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 26 Apr 12 12:04am

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

TSR wrote:

Well, did you at least use fettuchini pasta? If not, start brainstorming a new name. Or just put "faux" in front of the name, makes the dish sound even fancier and nobody can complain about authenticity. mrgreen

Yep but there is only one kind that we can use. :sigh:

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 26 Apr 12 1:08am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I often make recipes like this where almost every ingredient changes. It is funny!

There are a couple of recipes I make that take a seismic shift:  like one for stirfried pumpkin where I used carrots instead and it was so good I always use carrots now.

But even recipes that I am sure I follow exactly .... when I go to share them with someone, they are NEVER the same as the original. I always add more of something, or cook longer or shorter, and OFTEN substitute an ingredient or two!

I find it impossible NOT to make a recipe my own! whistle  cool

Likes (0)