Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Mon 18 Feb 08 7:04pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Re: What is semolina flour?

Hiya dougliz! Do I take it you live near Derby? If you do & you want to find Semolina flour give Caudwell's Mill at Rowsley (nr, Bakewell) a ring on(01629)733185, if anyone has it near you it will be them. They have a great range of stoneground flours.......I buy Spelt from them........& you can buy from the flour shop without paying to get in the museum bit. Oh & they have a caff & 2 village pubs if you want to make it a day out!!! mrgreen

Last edited by minerva (Mon 18 Feb 08 7:05pm)

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 18 Feb 08 7:30pm

MJ72

Member since Fri 15 Feb 08

I managed to get some Dove Farm Organic Pasta Flour from Morrisons - whoo-hoo - I swear it wasn't there yesterday!!!!

Thanks
Mandy
x

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 24 May 08 6:34pm

Cheesewheeze

Member since Sat 24 May 08

Our local Italian deli has been selling semolina flour, but are having trouble getting it.  However, I have discovered that the Indian food company Natco also makes it and have fine and course flour which they say is the same as used for pasta.  Tesco's stocks it on their website, so probably at their stores, but in the Indian food section I suspect and the Natco website sells it, but of course you have to pay delivery.  Its great though for rolling pasta out on and pizza bases etc etc...

Likes (0)

#14 Thu 22 Jan 09 5:43pm

tomstone514

Member since Thu 22 Jan 09

Semolina Flour is used to make dried pasta. "00" flour is used to make fresh pasta. Semolina flour you can make pasta with just water. "00" flour you make with eggs.
You can buy it Online at www.theitaliandeli.co.uk for 1.89. bargain. I brought a case last month to make the postage cost worthwile. see my below post for more information.

Last edited by tomstone514 (Sun 12 Apr 09 1:50pm)

Likes (0)

#15 Thu 22 Jan 09 9:24pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

with a package of semolino 250gr. and 1lt. of milk you can make an oven tray of gnocchetti alla romana:
heat the milk - add a pinch of salt - 30 gr butter - then pour the semolino ( a bit less than the whole packet if you like)  and whisk rapidly
low the heat and stir with a wooden spatula as if it was a polenta, until it becomes full of holes (poroso)
take awa from fire and add two egg yolks stirring rapidly before they cook.

pour your semolino/polenta on a surface covered by cartaforno, and level it by the aid of a kitchen napkin wetted and a bottle of oil working as a rolling pin
let it cool - cut it in little squares - put them on a tray one near the other and standing a little one upon the other, pout som e melted butter and parmesan and put into the hot oven until they are golden

enjoy

to make pasta I use rimacinata di grano duro and 00 flour, egg yolks and a little water as well, a pinch of salt and a tbsp of olive oil big_smile

Likes (0)

#16 Sun 12 Apr 09 1:49pm

tomstone514

Member since Thu 22 Jan 09

Semolina Flour is also Called Durum Wheat Semolina. It is a Italian flour used to make pasta and to sprinkle on the base of a Pizza. I buy mine online at www.theitaliandeli.co.uk as they are the cheapest on the net but more importantely you can not buy it in the shops un-less you go for a british or indian brand which to be honest, you are not going to see an Italian using british or Indian flour are you!

Likes (0)

#17 Mon 17 Oct 11 5:17pm

red0209

Member since Mon 17 Oct 11

Very old thread (Google brought me here), but I have a couple of questions regarding semolina flour. I can't get it at any of the supermarkets, and don't know of a smaller local shop that sells it. Out of the four main supermarkets, it seems that Sainsbury's have the widest range of flours.

I've seen in a few places that you can use different flours as a substitute for semolina flour. Are any of these any good (all sold by my local Sainsbury's):

Organic Pasta Flour
Organic Farm Spelt Flour
00 Flour
Grade Pasta Flour

Thanks in advance if anyone can point me in the right direction.    thumbsup

Last edited by red0209 (Mon 17 Oct 11 5:17pm)

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 18 Oct 11 3:22am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

What is in the "organic pasta flour?"  It could well be duram (or semonlina) flour.
I don't know any flour that can be used instead with the same result.  00 is completely different than semolina.

Likes (0)

#19 Tue 18 Oct 11 3:30am

red0209

Member since Mon 17 Oct 11

It's made by Doves. Here is part of the description from Sainsbury's website. The ingredients are listed as wheat flour and durum flour. Does the fact that it has wheat flour as well as durum flour mean it's no good? 

Description

ORGANIC Home made pasta is traditionally made with fine Type 'O' pasta flour in Italy. This light white flour is high in protein and can also be used for pizza and bread making.

'We are passionate about home baking and also believe that what we eat today will effect our health tomorrow. As well as being a satisfying and rewarding activity, when you bake at home you can select the best quality, local and seasonal ingredients, and be certain of what has gone into your food. You and your family will enjoy great tasting home made food. We often double the recipe and when baked, freeze half to eat at a later date.

'In our mill we make a large range of flours from many different natural grains, beans & seeds without adding refined gluten or enzymes. We blend specific grain varieties to ensure that the resulting flour has the optimum characteristic for the type of baking it will be used for. This means soft wheat varieties for cakes, pastry and sauces or stronger hard wheat for bread making flours. The more unusual flours have distinctive characters and applications of their own. If you are on a special diet look out for those flours that suit your situation.

NO ENZYMES.

Packaging Material: paper.

Soil Association

Organic Certification UK5

Ingredients

Wheat Flour*, Durum Flour*, *Denotes organically grown.

Likes (0)

#20 Tue 18 Oct 11 4:52am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

It all depends on what you want to use it for.  You will not have the same taste or texture that you would if using 100% durum.

Likes (0)