Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 26 Jun 07 4:11pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Re: Layering a lasagna

If you use ricotta, I believe you are heading south towards Naples and away from Bologna in which case you would want to use a more substantial Neopolitan sauce. 
But anyway, when I make a lasagna using bolognese sauce, I end finish the top with bechemel, some parmigiano and a scattering of butter which helps to brown it nicely.
Eddie

Likes (0)

#12 Tue 26 Jun 07 4:28pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

To be honest, the actual layering process that I used is somewhat hazy now.  I don't think there was much of a system!  But if people arrive bearing wine, it would be rude not to drink it, right?   wink

I really fancy some spinach-ricotta lasagna now.  How do people go about making theirs?  Do you bind your spinach in the ricotta or keep it separate?

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 26 Jun 07 5:00pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

When I said cheese, I meant ricotta and spinach lol

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 26 Jun 07 5:03pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

I basically bind the spinach/ricotta/egg/and parmesan/s&p and keep it to fill around the middle layer.

Likes (0)

#15 Tue 26 Jun 07 5:51pm

AndyH

Occupation Drinks Taster
From Beer Garden
Member since Sun 04 Jul 04

I like doing lasagne the way jamie described in jamies dinners(excellent visuals too), love the butternut squash in it, but will substitute for other veg like courgette....

I will describe if anybody wants, but I'm sure most have the book and there is loads of pictures!  Thousand words and all that..

Likes (0)

#16 Tue 26 Jun 07 10:12pm

Montana

Forum champ
Member since Mon 21 Feb 05

AndyH - I love your occupation!!

I usually put a ladle of sauce and a bit of béchamel, mix and then add a layer of pasta; then I keep doing that until the top where I try to keep only sauce, then cover it with grated cheese (parmesan, mozza or just gruyère).

I don't let it sit as the lasagna usually drinks up all the liquid and I am not keen on mushy lasagna.

Gave up ricotta years ago - it became too costly to make lasagna here that way.  Oh well!  My Sicilian friend taught me how to make mine... wink

Likes (0)

#17 Tue 26 Jun 07 10:12pm

Montana

Forum champ
Member since Mon 21 Feb 05

AndyH - I love your occupation!!

I usually put a ladle of sauce and a bit of béchamel, mix and then add a layer of pasta; then I keep doing that until the top where I try to keep only sauce, then cover it with grated cheese (parmesan, mozza or just gruyère).

I don't let it sit as the lasagna usually drinks up all the liquid and I am not keen on mushy lasagna.

Gave up ricotta years ago - it became too costly to make lasagna here that way.  Oh well!  My Sicilian friend taught me how to make mine... wink

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 26 Jun 07 11:31pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Love ricotta, but not much in lasagna. If it is ricotta and spinach in canneloni or so I love it, but on ragu lasagne the texture does not appeal much to me... If I want a fresher taste I exchange the last layer of bechamel for creme fraiche seasoned with salt/anchovis and pepper. wink

Likes (0)

#19 Wed 27 Jun 07 6:32am

holycow77

Member since Tue 13 Feb 07

how about the way commercial kitchen prepare lasagna?

down my way, you generally just get heaps of layers of pasta with maybe a little cheese and ham sprinkled in between and then the whole thing is drowned in bolagnese sauce and some mozzeralla.

It doesn't sound that appealing, but its delish! I much prefer lasagna from a restaurant than home made... it's just so nice and rich and... soggy.

Likes (0)

#20 Wed 27 Jun 07 11:00pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

cottage cheese mixed with beaten egg offers a good alternative to ricotta if you find it too expensive.  This is actually what my Nona used to use when she first came to canada and couldn't find ricotta.

her layering was sugo then pasta, sugo, spoonfulls of the cottagecheese/ricotta mix  dabbed around randomly (not a full layer). thin layer of moz. some grated parm..., sugo . pasta....  repeat til top of dish. sugo on top then grated cheese and parm.  the sugo she used was a slightly more moist version of the dry sugo she made for other pasta with the addition of small pieces of beef .  it is almost a mix between a spezzatino  and dry sugo...mince pork, minced beef, minced veal, small pieces of beef.. ( more traditionally i think it  would be veal)   I usually add cooked down mushrooms to the sauce as well..

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)