Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 17 Jul 08 2:07am

whitedog

Forum champ
Occupation striving to be a better human
From america
Member since Sat 09 Feb 08

Re: What fish should I try?

oh, woops, Australia, hmm, no idea whether swordfish swim over there. No boundaries, funny how fish are so localized. Australia must have some fabulous fish, and very fresh too. The South Pacific.

I have an allegy to cats, wish I didn't, really want it to stop, so hoped to get a pointer or two, but I think our allegies might be different. My brother told me somethng funny, that personalities within people with multiple personality disorder have different allergies, I wonder how that works.

Last edited by whitedog (Thu 17 Jul 08 2:08am)

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 17 Jul 08 10:29am

Mykael

Occupation Reprographics Co-ordinator / DTP Designer
From Southend-On-Sea
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

whitedog wrote:

My brother told me somethng funny, that personalities within people with multiple personality disorder have different allergies, I wonder how that works.

there is an idea for a book if I ever heard one!

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 17 Jul 08 9:29pm

jetdog

Occupation occupied
From Massachusetts USA
Member since Fri 22 Feb 08

sole is a lovely light fish poached with lemon shallots and fresh dill I would stay away from mackerel ,sardines , bluefish very strong  I love fish but my inner child is allergic to it!!

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 18 Jul 08 11:07am

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working
From West Midlands United Kingdom
Member since Wed 05 Dec 07

Try salmon, cod, sea bream, trout or a mixed fish pie.  Do something special with it herb crumb toppings or baked with lemon and dill serve with a green salad or rice make it look good and you will probally like what you eat.

I personally know how you feel my hubby and I also have food intolerences and it can be quite difficult when trying to reintroduce new foods but try it and let us know!!!

Welcome to the forums

cookinlovebird smile

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 18 Jul 08 2:29pm

Ms Kira

Occupation freelancer
From Greenville, SC
Member since Mon 07 Jul 08

The less 'fishy' tasting fish are the ones who most resemble steak, like tuna, shark, swordfish, mahi mahi, etc. Personally, I love salmon, but maybe that is a fishy tasting fish. Make sure to get a good piece of fish, that it's very fresh.

Also, you just might like catfish. You can fry it up for now. Not *as* healthy, but it might introduce you to some fish in a way you'll enjoy.

And, this might be a bit bold, but perhaps you could get a sampler plate of sushi. That would have a lot of different things in it, though maybe it's not quite considered "fish." If you could get a nice sample of different cooked fish somehow, you'd be better able to decide what it is you like.

To whitedog, schizophrenia has actually be linked to food allergies. Some thing is causes the disease entirely. Refer to the "beet woman" of the early 60's and you'll see what I'm saying.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 18 Jul 08 3:07pm

leis_hensler

Member since Wed 16 Jul 08

well i can say that i tried some smoked salmon today and absolutely loved it... i know its not as healthy but had some on some water crackers with brie cheese lol. it was just a snack this arvy. but i went shopping tonight for dinner adn i couldnt remember what fish anyone had recommended on the forums!!! so i picked basa because i had a mouthful of it once at work and didnt mind it. so i baked it in the oven and mad some mash potato brussel sprouts and some broccoli and it was absolutely delicious!!!! i am now officially a fan of basa....!!! is it a "healthier" fish does anyone know???

Likes (0)

#17 Tue 03 Feb 09 9:44pm

flamingredfish

Occupation seafood supplier and DJ
From Buckinghamshire
Member since Sun 01 Feb 09

in my experience i would try to stay away from exotic game fish ie marlin tuna sword mahi mahi and kingfish yes they are meaty fish but you could be subjecting yourself to histamine toxicity.they just go right through me if you now what i mean
try halibut turbot north atlantic cod pollack coley hoki hake haddock hoki, flat fish plaice dover lemon sole . there is a new fish farmed in vietnam called pangasius or cat fish,Tesco has marketing this as cob fish,cooks and eats like cod and haddock white fish but cheaper and sustainable.dont buy orange roughy this is a deep water fish that takes up to 20 yrs to mature and is now banned. go for orange tilapia instead,its plentyfull and now farmed inland its a bland white freshwater fish rather like cod texture and takes plenty of spices and seasoning.
try to stay away from oily fish to start with but try small amounts and see how you get on. seabass is farmed and plentyfull you would do no wrong if you just oven baked a couple of fillets with salt peppr and lemon, keep it simple and enjoy.
my favorite fish of all time has to be silver pomfret or butter fish tandoory style.heaven.

Last edited by flamingredfish (Tue 03 Feb 09 9:49pm)

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 03 Feb 09 10:13pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

If done correctly most fish prepared for you at restaurants are the way that I would go. My hubby and I usually share each others dish, he takes 1/2 of mine and I his kind of thing. But if you are going to try cooking it on your own maybe start with simple, like sole, pink salmon is quite nice and not that " fishy ", tilapia is awesome and I made flounder the other week, I loved it! I love halibut too, especially the cheeks  yummy  I hope you enjoy your experience.

Likes (0)

#19 Tue 03 Feb 09 10:25pm

flamingredfish

Occupation seafood supplier and DJ
From Buckinghamshire
Member since Sun 01 Feb 09

yes i agree halibut and cod cheeks are also fantastic and utilises all of the fish,  your fishmonger will know all about these alternative and resoursfull cuts.flounder, wytch sole megrim or torbay sole are another in expensive flat fish if you cant reach the price of dover or lemon sole. for fish pie why not ask your fish monger for pie mix off cuts, and salmon off cuts at a fraction of the price then you can spend more money on the smk haddock k,prawn or scampi peeled for the pie mmmmm yummy

Likes (0)

#20 Tue 03 Feb 09 10:27pm

Choma

Occupation student/Chef
From Dublin,Ireland!
Member since Tue 03 Feb 09

A lovely fresh Peice of Seabass Can be so yummy done really simply, I love it with roast sweet potatoe, rocket pesto and some homemade chilli sauce lashed round the plate can taste everything especially the bass and so simple... mmmm

Last edited by Choma (Tue 03 Feb 09 10:28pm)

Likes (0)