Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 30 Jan 09 6:42pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: No Creme Fraiche in Australia any ideas for substitute?

Tracy, welcome to the forums.

No idea where in Oz you are from but creme fraiche was available at David Jones' Food Halls at Market Street and Bondi Junction (both Sydney) a couple of weeks back.

I suffered from creme fraiche "over dose" whilst in England late last year- in scrambled eggs for breakfast and on many varieties of veg (potato especially). No wonder I put on 3+kg. Lost now, thankfully.

I don't have the time or energy to go into the city or BJ "just" to buy creme fraiche which doesn't really "go" with most recipes I cook, especially at this time of the year.

Have tried sour cream- not quite right for a substitute IMHO.

Have moved to KI "thick" (*not* thickened) cream/Pauls'"dollop cream which come in at about 45 and 36 per cent fat. Instead of lemon juice, I now add Greek style (firm) yoghurt until it tastes right, remembering that taste will develop more on standing- better to add less yoghurt to start with and add more as needed (to taste).

Hope this helps.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#12 Fri 30 Jan 09 7:05pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Rabbit, you wouldn't be suggesting that JO forum members in OZ are not "mainstream", would you, because we sometimes desire "different" ingredients wink ?

Looks like we have to have a major JO recruitment drive in OZ and pester KI to resume production of creme fraiche.

Shammy, which brands and what supermarket chains?

Just thought, if in Sydney, Blackwattle Bay Deli at the Fish Market might be worth checking as might Simon Johns-(t)on or the Essential Ingredient (most capital cities and some regional areas such as Newcastle).

Last edited by Maree (Fri 30 Jan 09 7:07pm)

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 30 Jan 09 7:12pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I agree, sour cream isn't the same, and when in France, I had the chance to use both full-fat creme fraiche and the half-fat version, they work beautifully in hot sauces, the flavor is subtle and it is a little tricky to substitute.  Perhaps it's best make foods that are good without that ingredient, especially in very hot climates, we have intense summer heat and humidity in our area in summer, our Australian friends are going through the worst ever summer, it's probably better to come up with light recipes.

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 30 Jan 09 7:18pm

dinner is ready

Member since Fri 30 Jan 09

jujuju!

in Spain there's no creme fraiche eader!!

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 30 Jan 09 9:43pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Maree wrote:

Rabbit, you wouldn't be suggesting that JO forum members in OZ are not "mainstream", would you, because we sometimes desire "different" ingredients wink ?

Looks like we have to have a major JO recruitment drive in OZ and pester KI to resume production of creme fraiche.

Yes, I am. I've only ever seen creme friache in high end delis or DJ's, never in the supermarket. I don't think it's an ingredient that people have taken up yet here, given it's reasonably high fat content and high price I'm not surpised that they've stopped making it. You also don't see it in as many Australian recipe books as you do in foreign ones. I think it's still a niche market. That may change but it will be slow.

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 30 Jan 09 10:13pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Rabbit, was talking "tongue in cheek". Sorry.

Agree that creme fraiche is rarely found in any Australian recipe book that I own/have flicked through.

It isn't really suited to (most of) our climate.

The following is by *no* means a "swipe" at British or European cooking, but when I (usually it's my son because he does it sooo much better than me- are you reading this, darling? Mummy would love breakfast in bed tomorrow) make scrambled eggs it's usually with milk or single/pouring cream (rarely).

Not being a "breakfast person" to have the eggs started in French butter and then to have creme fraiche added, was waaay too rich for me and made me feel physically ill.

Guess it's a matter of what one is used to. We don't use much fat. Except for Christmas baking, I don't usually keep butter. I only buy cream for a dollop with birthday cakes and berries.

Am happy to stay with my duo tubs of Pauls Dollop cream (approx 100ml per tub)- just enough for a heaped tabs with birthday cake and berries and at 36.? per cent fat content x3/yr. Is a treat rather than a staple.

As for creme fraiche, will stick with the duo tubs of Pauls' doctored with some Greek-style yoghurt for the few nights that it is appropriate in our climate.

But, hey, each to their own smile

Last edited by Maree (Fri 30 Jan 09 10:16pm)

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 30 Jan 09 10:21pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

I see, it's early and i'm tired, not picking up irony very well

yes, the thought of such rich cream in the current weather is rather stomach turning. I can only eat a breakfast with high fat after I've been awake for a few hours. Even then I prefer just eggs, maybe with a little butter and milk in them.

Likes (0)

#18 Fri 30 Jan 09 10:42pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Know where you're coming from, Rabbit smile

Likes (0)

#19 Sat 31 Jan 09 3:31pm

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

The reason there is an issue with getting creme fraiche here in Oz is the drought.

Sounds weird but the cows are not getting very good pasture at this time and the fat (cream) content of the milk is low. Thus many companies are having a hard time making creme fraiche.

In Adelaide the Alexandrina dairy company makes a lovely creme fraiche if you can get it. Most Foodlands' and gourmet places stock their stuff.

Likes (0)

#20 Sat 31 Jan 09 9:22pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

That should start coming back soon. I grew up in a beef/dairy area in northern NSW. The drought started there in 92/93 and didn't start in sydney until 97. Their drought ended a few years ago and their rainfall is almost back up to what it used to be, last time i was there is was really green. I suppose it depends where the cows used to produce creme fraiche are.

Likes (0)