Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 18 Feb 11 6:56pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Re: Portuguese Recipes

Sergio, when I get around to making the stuffed squid, what kind of rice do you use and do you prepare it in a special way?  Here, when I make reg rice, it's just long grain white rice steamed.

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 18 Feb 11 7:17pm

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

All those recipes sound wonderful.

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 18 Feb 11 11:11pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I'm enjoying the lessons sergio!  More please!   I think of salt cod when I think of Portuguese food.  I would like info on what to look for, how to handle salt cod.  I want to make bolinhos de bacalhau and bacalhau a bras.  (sorry about the spelling)  I need to get as much salt out as possible because I find usually, the food is too salty made with this product.

Likes (0)

#14 Mon 21 Feb 11 1:21pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Hi everybody, sorry Ive been away for the w/e.

Here goes: @mummza, yes bread is very frequent in our tables. I'd say for most people is an absolute must. Especially for generations before mine. There's even a kind of saying that "a table without bread isnt a proper table2 or something like that...

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 21 Feb 11 1:24pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
From Portugal

SonomaEddie wrote:

Sergio, when I get around to making the stuffed squid, what kind of rice do you use and do you prepare it in a special way?  Here, when I make reg rice, it's just long grain white rice steamed.

That kind of rice seems just right Eddie, its pretty much the one I use and no I dont prepare it in a special way.
Most of the times I dont steam it.
I fry some thinly chopped onion and 1 clove of garlic, then fry the rice for a couple of mins, add boiling water, cover with a lid and thats it. But steamed will be great as well!

Likes (0)

#16 Mon 21 Feb 11 1:34pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
From Portugal

Hi MsP! big_smile

Your spelling is great, although to be more accurate in the south of Portugal the most common name for bolinhos is Pastéis de Bacalhau. Bolinhos is more common in the north and in Brazil.

As to your question, what we do with cod is put it in a plastic bowl with water and keep changing the water till the salt is the way you like it. I take a bit and try it if its still too salty I change the water again and again untill its ok.
This may take some hours depending on the quantity. Some people leave it overnight. If you're in a rush open the tap and keep it running till its ok.

I hope this helps! thumbsup

Likes (0)

#17 Mon 21 Feb 11 2:32pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
From Portugal

As a small tribute to Ms Pablo and her questions on salt cod, today Im gonna post one of the most popular cod recipes here.  big_smile

Bacalhau com Natas - Cod with Cream
Serves 4
500-600 grs of salt cod
800 grs potatoes
2 medium onions
3 cloves garlic
40 grs flour
40 grs butter
250 ml milk
250 ml cream (over here theres usually 1 kind of cream. Im not sure its what you call double cream though...)
nutmeg
s+p
olive oil

So after getting rid of the extra salt in the cod, boil it for 5 mins in boiling water. Remove skin and bones and shred into small bits. Reserve both fish and water.
Chop the potatoes in small cubes and fry them but dont let them get golden. Reserve.
Cut the onions in 1/2 and chop them, chop the garlic and fry them in a large pan. Add the cod, cook for a couple of mins and add the fried potatoes and involve all of this.
Make bechamel sauce with the flour, butter, milk, cream and nutmeg.
Place the cod mix in a baking tray and add the bechamel. Put it in the oven for 10-15 mins or untill its "au gratin".
Serve with mix salad.  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#18 Mon 21 Feb 11 2:46pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

That sounds great Sergio.  Thanks!  I had something similar baked under a crust in an old restaurant in Lisbon, can't remember the name.

Likes (0)

#19 Mon 21 Feb 11 5:39pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Wow, that does sound good.  Going to stash this away and wait until I can get some good salt cod.

Likes (0)

#20 Mon 21 Feb 11 6:39pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
From Portugal

Right, for Joobes (and all others of course  wink ) here goes:

Salsichas enroladas em Couve Lombarda - Sausages rolled in Savoy Cabbage
Serves 4

8 sausages
16 cabbage leaves
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 can of tinned tomato
100 ml chicken stock
100 ml white wine
2 bay leaves
3 cloves
olive oil
s+p

Remove the thick bits of the cabbage and dip the leaves in boiling water for 5 mins. Reserve.
Roll each sausage in 2 leaves and seal them with a toothpick.
In a pan fry the onion and garlic, finely chopped with olive oil, bay and cloves.
Add the tomatoes, stock and white wine and simmer for 10/15 mins.
Add the sausages, cook for 10 mins, turn the sausages and cook for another 10 mins. Serve with plain white rice, carrot rice or mash potatoes.
big_smile

Likes (0)