Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 07 Mar 12 12:19am

Jinglewaffle

Member since Tue 22 Mar 11

Re: Pizza Dough

Thanks guys.

I have 00 flour for my pasta making. 800g bread flour and 200g 00 then for the dough?

I think il get a pizza stone. You can' t beat crispy base!

Kye In France. - Your recipe looks good too. How many pizzas does that make?

Last edited by Jinglewaffle (Wed 07 Mar 12 12:24am)

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 07 Mar 12 12:23am

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
Occupation Mommy, wife, chauffeur, chef, nurse, maid, occasional zookeeper...
From North Carolina, USA
Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

lol  Sorry everyone! I guess was being lazy because I didn't want to type out "all purpose" flour again, so I just put "AP."   oops  Sorry about that!

Likes (0)

#13 Wed 07 Mar 12 1:39am

mark's kitchen

Occupation Head cook, Mark's Kitchen & Smokin' BBQ
From santa rosa,california,usa
Member since Mon 21 Jun 04

mommyof2nc,

If you have a Whole Foods near you, they carry the 00 flour both in bulk and package. I have 3 stores near me and they all have it. Quite popular here. The packaged is imported from Italy, the bulk just says 00 Pizza flour on the bin.

Mark

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 07 Mar 12 5:31am

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

kye in france wrote:

Birdy, why were they talking about OO for pizza dough up there....confused me!!

In GB they have self raising flour... hmm does it raise alone without added yeast, i have never trusted it to do the work alone.

In France we have flour....type 45/55 for breads and i use the same for cakes and add yeast.

smile Kye,
self raising flour here has not got any yeast in it, it is flour sifted with something like baking powder or soda to make it rise. For things like scones, cakes etc. it is very useful, you don't have to sift in the raising agent.

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 07 Mar 12 10:04am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I think someone else touched on the fact that there is more than one type of 00 flour.

00 is just a measure of how finely milled the grain is, not nescesarrily the specific qualities of the grain .   

I usually use "Divella  00 for pizza"  which has a higher gluten content.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#16 Wed 07 Mar 12 1:30pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Jingle, the dough makes one pizza.

Birdy, i meant to say self raising powder .. not yeast oops

We never sieve our flour wink theres not many shops that sell sieves...apart IKEA wink

Likes (0)

#17 Wed 07 Mar 12 2:04pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
Occupation Musician
From NYC
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

I use Jamie's recipe for pizza dough although at times I add a bit of olive oil or dried herbs, even wine to perk up the flavor a bit.

His ratio of flour to semolina flour is a good one, it works really well.  If you can't find 00 semolina at your grocery store try going to an italian bakery, they always have some on hand and that's where I get mine. 

I'll be honest, I do not use bread flour.  Whenever I have the dough comes out really soft and doughy and I don't like bread for pizza dough.  By using AP my crusts always come out crisp and chewy rather than doughy and thick.  But it's truly a matter of preference.

Likes (0)

#18 Wed 07 Mar 12 2:05pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
Occupation Musician
From NYC
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

mommyof2nc wrote:

I've been playing around with the stone, and it definitely does make a crisper crust, but you have to preheat it before putting the pizza on it. I just make my pizza on parchment paper, and then when the stone is preheated, slide it onto the stone (easier clean-up that way, too).

Good tip!  Do you find that the pizza slides off easily or do you sprinkle it with semolina on the bottom?

Likes (0)

#19 Wed 07 Mar 12 3:47pm

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
Occupation Mommy, wife, chauffeur, chef, nurse, maid, occasional zookeeper...
From North Carolina, USA
Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

koukouvagia wrote:

mommyof2nc wrote:

I've been playing around with the stone, and it definitely does make a crisper crust, but you have to preheat it before putting the pizza on it. I just make my pizza on parchment paper, and then when the stone is preheated, slide it onto the stone (easier clean-up that way, too).

Good tip!  Do you find that the pizza slides off easily or do you sprinkle it with semolina on the bottom?

It slides off really easily. Sometimes I put a little cornmeal on the bottom, just to make it a little crunchier. I forgot to say, too, that I don't have a pizza peel (sp?), so I just put the uncooked pizza (on the piece of parchment) on the back of my old pizza pan, and use that as a peel. Very easy to get it in and out of the pizza that way. smile

Likes (0)

#20 Tue 17 Apr 12 9:11pm

philmcc

From Belfast, Britain
Member since Tue 17 Apr 12

Sainsbury's do in fact sell a oo flour in a p

Likes (0)