forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 17 Jan 13 4:08pm

bentpenny

From CANADA
Member since Wed 09 May 07

Re: Chicken!

My mom had given me a clay pot before they moved and said that she makes  baked beans in them.  Guess what mom, its for cooking chicken i said. It makes the most wonder juicy chicken.  i just rub with spices and stuff some fresh herbs in it and place in oven.  Once in a while I will add some veggies.  It is oh so good!!

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 17 Jan 13 5:07pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

I remember my mom used to make chicken rice roger which I guess is kinda like a paella but way, way simpler and cooked in the oven. My grandma used to do simply spiced chicken thighs and drumsticks on the rotisserie over the bbq. Took awhile but dribble

I'd like to see Jamie fully bone a whole chicken, stuff it and roll it.  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 17 Jan 13 8:18pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I know lean meat is usually dry without adding fat, but I'm not sure that would apply to chicken. It's got that sort of soft texture anyway.

We used to get two whole chickens with our monthly grocery order, which we would joint and freeze the bits in packs of two breasts, four thighs, four drumsticks. Amazingly frugal way to eat.

My best chicken tip is Save the Wings! When doing the above, we used to cut off the wings, fold them up (a pair folds together in a neat bundle, like a little puzzle) and put them in a tupperware box, with room to spare. Then next month, we'd add the next set of wings. After three months we'd have 12 wings, enough for a tasty meal of glazed chicken wings!

Now I often do this if I'm roasting a chicken, too. The wings tend to get wasted on a roast, so I cut them off first and freeze them, collecting them until I have enough for a meal.

Likes (0)

#14 Thu 17 Jan 13 8:27pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Boasting tongue Danny posted that a supper club had used my chicken in white wine recipe.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/memb … Sauce/2016

Organic, and always bought whole.  smile

Likes (0)

#15 Thu 17 Jan 13 8:27pm

viktoria.cherednyk.1

Member since Thu 17 Jan 13

Usually I cut chicken into small pieces and fry it with curry. It is tasty, but my chicken always is too dry. Could you advise me how to change this?

Recently I solved this problem with too dry chicken fried with champignons. Here is my recipe:
Dice your chicken (let it be 500 g of the chicken meat) and put on frying-pan (oil should be already there).
While chicken is frying cut two onions in such way as you like (circles, half-circles or somehow else). I prefer half-circles.       
After this mix chicken and put onion on it. I don't mix chicken with onion, because I want onion to be cooked in mushroom juice, but not fried in oil.
Cut champignons (usually I have 400-500 g) into slices. Mix chicken with onion and put mushrooms into frying pan. I have too small frying-pan, so I don't mix them.
A few minutes later your meat will boil in mushroom juice. When juice will boil down mix your dish with 400 g of the sour cream, put salt and pepper. Mix them together. Wait a few minutes until whey will boil down. Param!!! smile Your dish is ready. Good taste!

Thanks to sour cream chicken is not such dry as always. Moreover, as all this ingredients boiled in a mushroom juice, this dish has a wonderful mushroom taste and smells grate!

Likes (0)

#16 Thu 17 Jan 13 8:37pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Jambalaya is a great favorite of ours, while making it i dance to the song too.

Most times i prepare it in the slow cooker.  yummy

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/memb … alaya/4433

Likes (0)

#17 Thu 17 Jan 13 8:44pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

viktoria.cherednyk.1 wrote:

Usually I cut chicken into small pieces and fry it with curry. It is tasty, but my chicken always is too dry. Could you advise me how to change this

Either you are cutting the chicken into too small pieces..or over cooking...or a combination of both.... Do you marinate the Diced chicken before frying???

Edit... I see you have just joined today...

Welcome to the forum..

Last edited by wine~o (Thu 17 Jan 13 8:46pm)

Likes (0)

#18 Thu 17 Jan 13 9:17pm

elizaveta.kocheva

Member since Thu 17 Jan 13

There are many recipes for the Bulgarian dish Kavarma - this is a traditional one using Pork,although the dish also exists in Beef and Chicken versions ... perfect for a cold winter evening
Chicken Kavarma;
Ingredients:
Serves 4
800 g Chicken
5 red peppers
4-5 onions (the larger and softer the better)
1-2 tomatoes
1 cupful button mushrooms
1 small green chilli (if you prefer your dishes spicy)
1/3 cupful white wine
Chubritza or (savory) (a Bulgarian herb - it is possible to replace with
‘Herbes de Provence’ but not the same taste!)
sprinkle of paprika
parsley (fresh and finely chopped)
half a cupful of lard or sunflower oil or (butter)
salt and pepper
Cut the meat into small pieces and brown in the lard or oil.
Add the onions and continue to fry until the onions are
tender.
Add the sliced mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, wine,
pepper, salt, paprika (optional chilli), chubritza(savory) and a splash
of warm water.
Stir, pour into individual earthenware
bowls (or a large earthenware bowl) and
bake for one (and a half hours - Pork )at 180°c
Serve with finely chopped parsley
and large pieces of crusty bread.

Likes (0)

#19 Thu 17 Jan 13 9:33pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

one helluve first post, elizaveta.kocheva
Welcome....

Likes (0)

#20 Thu 17 Jan 13 10:11pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

elizaveta.kocheva - thanks very much for the recipe!  We've been to Sofia a couple of times briefly and would love to know more about the food and culture.  Welcome!

Likes (0)