Occupation Totally food obsessed bookkeeper
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Wed 13 Aug 08

Re: what is your favourite street food

Maree wrote:

koukouvagia wrote:

Maree wrote:

Sorry, don't eat takeaway food smile.

In my experience street food and takeaway food are 2 different things.

If it's food that can be eaten other than at a table with cutlery, I define it as takeaway smile.

There's lots of street food happening here, too, and food trucks have been big here for more than five years.

I choose to eat healthily and I neither snack nor eat between meals.

Maree, I find that a bit harsh.  There are a lot of cultures that street food is a huge part of their daily cuisine, take satay for example and Pho.  I'm thinking more of the age old street food rather than the hot dog stall thing.

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 05 May 14 3:09pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Maree wrote:

koukouvagia wrote:

Maree wrote:

Sorry, don't eat takeaway food smile.

If it's food that can be eaten other than at a table with cutlery, I define it as takeaway smile.

There's lots of street food happening here, too, and food trucks have been big here for more than five years.

I agree, that's a little harsh.  You're quite particular with your perception of healthy and I believe I do eat a lot of things that you think are unhealthy but I perceive to be very very healthy but I try to understand that sometimes people have food insecurities, like my friend who feels she needs to put herself down each time she puts something in her mouth or my cousin who needs to know the complete caloric breakdown of everything she eats.   Walking with my family to a street fair on a beautiful sunny day and eating chicken tandoori is fun and healthy and very delicious.  When we order chinese takeout we sit down at our table and enjoy it with chopsticks and real plates.  I do not snack or eat between meals, but not because I think snacking is evil but because I'm naturally not hungry between meals, my son snacks quite a bit as does my husband but they snack on healthy things like fruit or rice cakes or yogurt.  A slice of pizza does not alter its nutritional content whether or not you use a fork and a knife, or eat it with your hands.  And various cultures eat food with their hands.  When I go out for sushi with my Japanese friends we all eat it with our hands, not chopsticks. 

Just because I like to indulge in a chewy waffle dripping with spekuloos once in a while does NOT mean I am not healthy!

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 05 May 14 3:11pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

SherylS wrote:

Maree wrote:

koukouvagia wrote:

Maree, I find that a bit harsh.  There are a lot of cultures that street food is a huge part of their daily cuisine, take satay for example and Pho.  I'm thinking more of the age old street food rather than the hot dog stall thing.

I don't get that my personal food preference is "harsh", Sheryl.

Yes, street food is a huge part of some cultures. The food of my (personal) culture is featured on the streets of certain cities of the world (Greek is not *my* culture, by the way).

I choose not to eat food that does not fit within my nutritional guidelines and preference. That is all.

My personal decisions apply to me only. The question was "What is your ...". I answered the question.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#14 Mon 05 May 14 3:30pm

Maree

Forum super champ

koukouvagia wrote:

Maree wrote:

koukouvagia wrote:

I agree, that's a little harsh.  You're quite particular with your perception of healthy and I believe I do eat a lot of things that you think are unhealthy but I perceive to be very very healthy but I try to understand that sometimes people have food insecurities, like my friend who feels she needs to put herself down each time she puts something in her mouth or my cousin who needs to know the complete caloric breakdown of everything she eats.   Walking with my family to a street fair on a beautiful sunny day and eating chicken tandoori is fun and healthy and very delicious.  When we order chinese takeout we sit down at our table and enjoy it with chopsticks and real plates.  I do not snack or eat between meals, but not because I think snacking is evil but because I'm naturally not hungry between meals, my son snacks quite a bit as does my husband but they snack on healthy things like fruit or rice cakes or yogurt.  A slice of pizza does not alter its nutritional content whether or not you use a fork and a knife, or eat it with your hands.  And various cultures eat food with their hands.  When I go out for sushi with my Japanese friends we all eat it with our hands, not chopsticks. 

Just because I like to indulge in a chewy waffle dripping with spekuloos once in a while does NOT mean I am not healthy!

I don't have "food insecurities", Koukou. On both sides of my family (going back generations), there are food-related conditions that have seen members of my family die very young. My only sibling (younger) died just after her 45th birthday from such conditions.

I'm not sure what foods you think that I think are unhealthy.

I choose to eat as healthily as I can. I have never liked sweet food or fried food. I hate the mouth feel. I don't think certain food evil. I eat what I like to eat. I don't eat what I don't like to eat. I would no sooner eat food while walking down the street or sitting at a bus stop (for example) than I would walk down the street naked. Just not my scene. Aside from (some) sandwiches and drumsticks (without sauce) and chickens' feet (without sauce), I don't eat with my hands.  I wasn't brought up that way.

Once again, the question was "What is *your* ...". I answered the question as it applies to me. That is all.

Likes (2)

#15 Mon 05 May 14 4:43pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I really enjoy street food , (but I hate those polystyrene pots that it sometiimes gets put into) !
I almost always find somewhere to sit and eat it as I know otherwise I would end up dropping things. 
I do have a good look at the van or stall that I buy it from and if I dont think that it looks like a clean and organised place I move on.

What I like about street food .....it is that these days there are some excelent chefs who run the vans and stalls , they usually do a few things , a limited range of things and they mostly do it well.
The vans and stalls are often run by people who might otherwise have opened a cafe or a restaurant but didnt want either the commitent or the overheads that come with running an establishment.

I am delighted that streetfood is n longer about the greesy burger van , but more about food cooked from fresh using better ingredients.

I always look out for good and interesting street food vendors if I am traveling.

Likes (0)

#16 Mon 05 May 14 8:30pm

user2014

Occupation student
From kuklen,plovdiv,bulgaria
Member since Sun 05 Jan 14

maree what you  usually prepare if you are on a hurry. the reason of this thread is to make sue are people enjoying homemade food after all. bravo clap i do my fast food at home.they are so easy to  make you dont need to buy them. i also have found many recipes for pita bread in sites.thy are wonderful.bravo for jamie doing food revolution day.thanks for your messag. bye.spas.

enjoying cooking easy and fast...
    Likes (0)

#17 Mon 05 May 14 11:51pm

Maree

Forum super champ

user2014 wrote:

maree what you  usually prepare if you are on a hurry. the reason of this thread is to make sue are people enjoying homemade food after all. bravo clap i do my fast food at home.they are so easy to  make you dont need to buy them. i also have found many recipes for pita bread in sites.thy are wonderful.bravo for jamie doing food revolution day.thanks for your messag. bye.spas.

Thank you for asking, spas smile.

I poach a chicken almost every week. That gives me stock and beautifully moist chicken on hand. Often for lunch I'll heat up some stock and:

Toss in a "nest" of fine dried noodles. I might add some chicken at the last minute to warm through.

I might add some mushrooms or peas to the noodles.

I might add a beaten egg and some lemon juice and it becomes a kind of instant Avgolemono (with or without some shredded chicken).

In warm weather, the chicken goes into a salad of some sort.

Because there is only me here for 99.9% of the time, there is (usually) always leftovers. I'll heat them up for lunch.

There's usually fritatta in the fridge. I eat that hot or cold.

Last edited by Maree (Mon 05 May 14 11:52pm)

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 06 May 14 2:49pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

Maree wrote:

Maybe it's a terminology difference, "food insecurities" are what I refer to as fears to eat something even in a moderate amount due to some type of fear whether it's fear of the ingredients, fear of getting fat, fear of cleanliness, fear of health issues etc.

I'm referring to the things you often say - you have said multiple times that you have a fear of fat and oils and butters.

Anyway, I don't mean to make it a big deal or anything it just felt a little like you were criticizing street food as being unhealthy and nobody likes to be judged for what they like to eat.

Last edited by koukouvagia (Tue 06 May 14 2:50pm)

Likes (0)

#19 Tue 06 May 14 2:53pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

mummza wrote:

I am delighted that streetfood is n longer about the greesy burger van , but more about food cooked from fresh using better ingredients.

Yes!  When I first moved to NYC it was nothing but hot dog carts, pretzel carts and peanut carts.  The hot dog carts were disgusting, they keep the hot dogs in a big pot of hot water so they are boiled!  And then they slather it with a sweet onion "sauce" which is also disgusting.  Needless to say I never partook of street food for many years. 

But now, it's different.  The vans are amazing, you can't get better food at a restaurant imo.

Likes (0)

#20 Tue 06 May 14 3:20pm

Maree

Forum super champ

koukouvagia wrote:

Maree wrote:

Maybe it's a terminology difference, "food insecurities" are what I refer to as fears to eat something even in a moderate amount due to some type of fear whether it's fear of the ingredients, fear of getting fat, fear of cleanliness, fear of health issues etc.

I'm referring to the things you often say - you have said multiple times that you have a fear of fat and oils and butters.

Anyway, I don't mean to make it a big deal or anything it just felt a little like you were criticizing street food as being unhealthy and nobody likes to be judged for what they like to eat.

I don't have a "fear" of fat/ oil or butter. I have always hated the mouth feel of them. I can remember when I was a pre-schooler and my parents were in their 20s and 30s respectively (waaaay before they were diagnosed with any dietary-linked diseases and waaaay before I would have any understanding of such links. I refused to eat anything fried or with fat on it.

Noooo way was I criticising street food per se or making a blanket statement by inferring they were all "unhealthy". I was merely answering the question asked. I certainly don't "judge" other people regarding their food choices. I would appreciate the same consideration.

Likes (0)