Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 05 Aug 14 7:24pm

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student
From kuklen,plovdiv,bulgaria
Member since Sun 05 Jan 14

Re: Cheeky chilli chutney

great to hear it joobes,how do you make your own carrot cake...is there anything special in it.

enjoying cooking easy and fast...
    Likes (0)

#12 Wed 06 Aug 14 12:06am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Good luck next time. It sounds so delicious!

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 11 Aug 14 6:36pm

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student

to me too joy,but chilli jam is perfect.

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 12 Aug 14 9:15am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

Looking at J.O's recipe again, if you leave out the sugar and add some lemon/lime juice, it then virtually becomes a salsa.

Likes (0)

#15 Tue 12 Aug 14 11:54am

joobes

Forum champ
Occupation My OH and I own a new/secondhand bookshop.
From Somerset, England
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

user2014 wrote:

great to hear it joobes,how do you make your own carrot cake...is there anything special in it.

carrots are helpful.....  ....  whistle hehe sorry.

Here's the recipie.
1 medium orange
140g raisins
125ml rapeseed oil
115g plain wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder, plus a pinch
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 rounded tsp ground cinnamon
140g dark muscovado sugar
280g finely grated carrots (about 375-400g carrots before peeling)
2 eggs
115g self-raising flour

Heat oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3. For the cake, finely grate the zest from the orange and squeeze 3 tbsp of juice. Pour the juice over the raisins in a bowl, stir in zest, then leave to soak while you make the cake. Lightly oil and line the base of a deep 20cm square cake tin. Mix the flours with 1 tsp baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon.
Separate one of the eggs. Put the white in a small bowl and the yolk in a large one. Break the remaining whole egg in with the yolk, then tip in the sugar. Whisk together for 1-2 mins until thick and foamy. Slowly pour in the oil and continue to whisk on a low speed until well mixed. Tip in the flour mix, half at a time, and gently stir it into the egg mixture with a rubber spatula or big spoon. The mix will be quite stiff. Put the extra pinch of baking powder in with the egg white and whisk to soft peaks.
Fold the carrot, raisins (and any liquid) into the flour mixture. Gently fold in the whisked egg white, then pour into the tin. Jiggle the tin to level the mixture. Bake for 1 hr until risen and firm or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin 5 mins, turn out onto a wire rack, peel off the paper, then leave until cold.

I used sultanas in mine as thats what i had in, plus i soaked them all day while i was at work then made the cake in the evening.

Likes (0)

#16 Tue 12 Aug 14 1:40pm

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student

super recipe,joobes i once ate a cake with carrot but without sultanas,only raisins,it was delicious thanks to my aunt,i also love to taste the idea with orange...  thumbsup

Likes (0)