forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 30 Jan 07 6:38pm

BigstU

Occupation Polar Bear Farming season finished, doing penguins now!
From South Pole
Member since Wed 21 Dec 05

Re: HELP - KNIVES

I'm another victorinox fan, I've had a 12"  cooks knike now for nearly 17 years even been around the world with me and its still as sharp now as the day I bought it. wink

I can remember many a pork loin that thought my knife wasnt up to the job roll  all I can say is PORK CHOPS anyone? thumbsup

Only cost me about 15 quid back then, money well spent in my eyes hmm

Best advice I can give for choosing a knife is get one that feels comfortable in your hand after all its you thats using it hour after hour each day thumbsup

Stu

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 01 Feb 07 1:19pm

itsdanny

Occupation Web Gimp
From W Yorks
Member since Mon 14 Aug 06

I've had sabatier (depends on the actual type), victorinox (reasonable) some German knife (6" for £20, OK but after a few years I've realised it's naff) so for xmas i got a Tojiro Senkou 18cm knife. it cost a £100, i only needed to sharpen it once so far and that only took a few mins on a whetstone. so the moral of the story is, the more you spend the better the knife. if it's your first venture into buying a decent knife then get a general use knife and go low to mid price range and take it form there. you also need a steel...

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 01 Feb 07 3:37pm

Swediswannabe

Occupation Cook
From Gothenburg - Sweden
Member since Wed 16 Nov 05

I am one of those that as a kid, drooled over computers and consoles, new games, and vintage boardgames.

so when I tell you that my main knife cost me 280 euros, you might understand why I am the way I am.

It is a satake Damascus, feels like water in my hand, has a nice edge, and no "humps" in the end, like Sabatier (which stops you from chopping anything, really... Sabatier straight from the store is crap when you work).

My Sashimi, which is sometimes used as a tranchating knife, cost me 190 euro. Kai is the brand, and it also feels good in my hand. To remove skin from fishfileés, pare meat, and anything that neads to be cut thinly and paralel to the cuttingboard, is a breese. So easy that it is booring. Besides, it looks impressive

"... That 's not a knife *swish* THIS is a KNIFE!"

Mac is my flexible filet knife. To get the filet out of flatfish is as easy as if I had been a chef for 30 years.

I have a crappy 'ol Global to cut through bone and other stuff that damages the knife. The global is crap because I lack the "hand" to keep it sharp. No matter how carefull I polish it with my Cheramic rod, it never keeps the edge. Some people have a way to them, to keep these knives in perfect condition, but I don't.

If you are doing your cooking only at home, and want just one knife. Then, and I have said this many times before, BUT A GOOD BREADKNIFE. A home kitchen needs nothing else. You can Filet fish, chop vegetables, tranch, cut through bone.

The skill lies not in the knife, it lies in the weilder. And a breadknife is cheap, and has a forgiving edge. For the price of a Global Chefsknife. you can buy 10 breadknives who keeps for 2 years each. That is 20 years worth of good knives right there.

Likes (0)

#14 Sun 11 Feb 07 7:52pm

mikeesimmons

Occupation Finance manager - wannabe chef
From Telford England
Member since Thu 28 Dec 06

Thanks for all the replies - I am getting one main thing from all your help.... that is that everyone has ther own fave.

I have been using a steel for years but on old cheap knives so i am not worried about that side.

I have been searching now for a bit and i hate to say that the most comfy knife i have found is a porsche 301 24cm chef knife.   I hate the fact that i have taken to a knife i think is a gimmik.   

Any ideas about these

thanks again

Mikee

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 17 Mar 07 5:27pm

mikeesimmons

Occupation Finance manager - wannabe chef
From Telford England
Member since Thu 28 Dec 06

Thanks for all the advice since I first posted my question. 

I am glad to say 3 months later I have finally bought a chefs knife.

What brand did I choose?  Well I took all the advice of get the one feel comfortable with and I got a Henckels 5 star chefs knife and I am very happy with it.  I cant believe how a knife can change cooking and make things a lot easier.  It cuts through chicken like its butter.

Thanks again

Mikee
big_smile

Likes (0)