Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 21 Feb 07 12:02am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: who's stuffing your pancake tonight?

Learn something new every day..... Thanks ladies!

Well I guess my favorite pancake is baked with apples on top and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.

My favorite filled pancake is a thin pancake filled with fried mince (seasoned), covered with an old fashioned tomato sauce (basically a roux or bechamel with lots of tomato paste stirred in) baked until heated up again. (This is my grandma's, so I have no amounts or anything. She serves this with a leaf salad on the side)

In Germany I suppose we don't have a Shrove Tuesday dish, but there are lots of lent things of course (Swabians make "Maultaschen" - similar to ravioli - during lent. With meat, of course, as it is a big cheat... they just cover up the meat wink ). The Thursday before Easter is called Green Thursday and the tradition is to eat something green (usually spinach or cabbage) for the main course...
And then fish is always a lent thing, I suppose...
wink

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 21 Feb 07 5:00am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Tuesday is the British equivalent of Carnival or Mardigras!

All are traditionally celebrated on the Tuesday Before Ash Wednesday - which is the first day of Lent.

Carnival means "farewell to meat", Mardigras means "Fat Tuesday".

Lent was (is) a period of fasting - 40 days of frugal living and mortification of the flesh. The day before Lent started, people were supposed to clear tye thins from their store cupboards that were forbidden in Lent - especially meat and eggs.

Thats why Carneval and Mardigras And Pancake Tuesday were marked by a feast of those thigs which woud not (in theory) be seen again until Easter Sunday.

So, Nicky Nacker-Nocker,what are YOU giving up for Lent big_smile

My guess is that you willbe giving up abstinence and celibacy, but I might be wrong.

Last edited by GeoffP (Wed 21 Feb 07 5:02am)

Likes (0)

#13 Wed 21 Feb 07 10:12am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Actually our specific carneval food (but not just Tuesday) are donuts. Mostly the jelly filled (you can get them all year of course, but for Carneval they make chocolate filled, cream filled (with and without alcohol), jelly + rum filled etc)... And lots and lots of alcohol of course.....

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 21 Feb 07 10:53am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Its the same principle, flour, sugar, eggs and water, cooked in oil or fat. Most carnival food throughout the world includes something similar.

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 21 Feb 07 11:44am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

vey thin pancakes with maple syrup...mmmm lovely.
pancakes with lemon and sugar are more traditional they are good as well.

This year I missed most of my family and pancake day was very quiet and ordinary. We just had traditional topping on the pancakes.
Usually if all the family are home we have topping like sweets and chocotate buttons,squirty cream, fruit,marshmallows ,icecream and icecream sauces.

I enjoy savory filling in pancakes but these I do not tend to do very often.

First Day of lent, I don't think that I will be giving up anything as I am not too good at that, but ,instead I will try to do a good deed each day for someone.

Likes (0)

#16 Wed 21 Feb 07 12:03pm

amberpamba

Forum champ
Occupation Registered nurse
From Australia
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

I like butter, sugar/honey and lemon or butter and maple syrup or cream, butter and maple syrup.

Likes (0)

#17 Wed 21 Feb 07 2:50pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Thanks for explaning shove tuesday!!  I love butter and maple syrup.  I also like strawberry jam.  I also love to add pecans to the pancake batter.  smile

Likes (0)

#18 Wed 21 Feb 07 2:55pm

Rome

Member since Tue 20 Feb 07

In the end I filled my pancakes with homemade strawberry jam and fresh cream.
On top of that though we had "Nocche" and "Ciecamarini", two traditional Italian carneval sweets.
We really overdid it!

The idea of pancakes filled with fresh rasberries, white chocolate and cream is VERY inviting, although I'll probably use wild strawberries when they're in season. Their fragrance and flavour is SO intense tongue

Likes (0)

#19 Wed 21 Feb 07 5:31pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

A friend of mine gave up condiments for Lent one year... it was really hard apparently!  Let no one say Catholic girls aren't selfless and devout...

whistle

Likes (0)

#20 Wed 21 Feb 07 7:10pm

Beautiful BC

Forum champ
From British Columbia, Canada
Member since Wed 04 May 05

Absolute stand-by favourite...........Canadian Maple Syrup !!!

Likes (0)