cookinlovebird smile

Likes (0)

#12 Sat 22 Dec 07 8:31pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: THE gluten-free thread

That's ok, just doing a little thread maintenance.

By the way the Mother Megs gluten free ANZAC biscuits are not good for the very sensitive. I reacted badly but then I can detect below 5 parts per million of gluten (i.e. below what a machine can). Some coeliacs may be ok.

Likes (0)

#13 Sun 23 Dec 07 3:02pm

Mr Grumpy

Forum champ
Occupation Sh*t Finder
From Coventry
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Has gluten free pastry mix and/or flour improved recently?  About ten years ago I tried to do a Beef Wellington for my coeliac mother-in law using her pastry mix, and it was a disaster.  Lacking the stretchiness of gluten, the pastry would not mould to the shape of the joint, and when I did achieve an approximation of a not very uniform coating most of it fell off during cooking.  Are modern blends any better in this respect?  Alternatively, do you know of a pastry recipe (or even the authentic Brioche dough equivalent) that may be used?  I have noticed when doing a quiche base, for instance, that the modern product is better in that it has some degree of natural “give”, but I have not had the courage to repeat the Wellington yet.

Likes (0)

#14 Mon 24 Dec 07 7:15am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

You can't replace the intrinsic properties of gluten with anything. You will never get somethings to replace the gluten filled original. Breads and pastries are the things that rely on gluten for the way they behave, therefore these are the hardest things to replicate using gluten-free alternatives. I've essentially given up bread, gluten free bread is generally awful and you soon lose the desire for bread. I never ate much pastry anyhow. Pasta was the hardest for me until I found the San Remo brand of gluten free pasta (they do normal pasta too) - with a sauce you almost can't tell the difference. I know there are gluten free pastry mixes on the market but I've not tried them and certainly not for that recipe.

There is a recipe for gluten free pie pastry here, but I've not tried it either:
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/cookandchef/txt/s1668510.htm

I've only been gluten free for a year so I don't know what the old blends were like. I find that two currently available gluten free plain flours do nicely for making white sauce.

In terms of gluten free cooking, it's generally more successful to make dishes that are naturally gluten free than having to substitute gluten free flour mixes (or rice flour, etc).

There are a number of books that focus on gluten free baked products but I've not tried a great many of the recipes. The books I find good are:
Darina Allen's Gluten Free Healthy Eating
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mosto … ee_recipes

Tobie Puttock's Daily Italian - has gluten free versions for fresh pasta

Pamela Moriarty's book http://www.glutenfreesecrets.com.au/

Hopefully oliviafromscotland or cindy will be along shortly. They have been cooking for gluten free people for much longer than I have and may have something up their sleeves.

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 26 Dec 07 11:51pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Have found a gluten free biscuit that is nice and actually properly gluten free. I had the the classic biscotti of the below brand yesterday and was fine.

http://www.wildbite.com.au/s_products.php?Cat=3

Likes (0)

#16 Wed 02 Jan 08 11:10am

Mem

From Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Member since Mon 30 May 05

Mouthwatering Munchies - Gluten-Free Recipes

Last edited by Mem (Wed 02 Jan 08 11:13am)

Likes (0)

#17 Wed 02 Jan 08 11:03pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

My friend wants to make some gluten free scones tomorrow but she does not have a good recipe. She has bought some rice flour and was thinking that she could substitue the normal flour for rice flour.
Iam not sure that this would work.

Has anyone got a gluten free scone recipe that they have tried.
Or..any sugestions that I can pass on to my friend.

Likes (0)

#18 Thu 03 Jan 08 10:14am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Rice flour won't work. I'd go for commercial gluten free mix.

Try http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/food/reci … en+%2Bfree

or the link Mem posted

Likes (0)

#19 Thu 03 Jan 08 10:48am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Yes - I'd agree with White Rabbit that rice flour on it's own won't work.  It's a great flour for baking cookies and biscuits, but it creates an extremely "short" texture, making it unsuitable to use in softer items.  A little bit might not hurt, but exclusively rice flour won't be much good.  A generic gluten-free mix would yield much better results and, if you can cook them close to serving, a little xanthum gum would help - but they need to be eaten very fresh if you use xanthum gum as it goes rubbery if you leave them too long.

Likes (0)

#20 Thu 03 Jan 08 11:04am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Also, most gluten free flour mixes have xanthum or guar gum in them so be very sparing adding such things to these mixes. I once made muffins that bounced because the recipe had it at 1 tsp of gum along with a commerical flour mix.

Likes (0)