forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Mon 01 Dec 08 6:39am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: what can i use instead of suet

It has been suggested that if it is necessary to find a substitute for suet, you can take lard, freeze it, and then grate it before putting it into the recipe. The same thing could also be done with vegetable shortening.

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 01 Dec 08 12:27pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

thumbsup a big thanks to you all, i'm feeling a lot better now big_smile

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 01 Dec 08 12:43pm

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
Occupation Double Barrel Sheila
From Sauerkraut Country
Member since Mon 06 Oct 08

i always use grated frozen butter (i can't get suet here) and it works a treat thumbsup

Likes (0)

#14 Mon 01 Dec 08 1:01pm

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working
From West Midlands United Kingdom
Member since Wed 05 Dec 07

I use GF suet , kye you can use frozen butter and lard mixed, dont be put off make your own its fun!!! 6 hrs boiling in the pan the smells lovely yummy

cookinlovebird smile

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 01 Dec 08 1:48pm

Kye

Forum super champ

Here's a big smile for my last two answerers.. big_smile .. big_smile

Likes (0)

#16 Tue 01 Dec 09 2:27pm

Kye

Forum super champ

My last answer on this post was the same day last year yikes what a coincidence..

I've once again arrived at the crucial moment where the recipe tell's me to use the dreaded (for me) 'suet' neutral  not remembering if i used lard or butter..i looked up this thread where Geoff said that i was being 'squeamish' wink  wink i would'nt mind him repeating the same thing this year at all.......

Well it's butter, so i'm returning to my mince meat now.

Likes (0)

#17 Wed 28 Nov 12 2:45pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Spent another day trying to track down ready-prepared gluten-free suet, and hit a brick wall.  So today, I bit the bullet and headed to my butcher and have come away with free (they don't charge for it!) suet.  There should be enough to use in my mincemeat, and some over to render into tallow to cook with and to give away as Christmas presents.

Likes (0)

#18 Wed 28 Nov 12 3:07pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

ah too late you have been to the butcher !
ever mind, Olivia I foud this ..
http://www.naturallygoodfood.co.uk/sear … yword=suet
it may help for a later date.

Likes (0)

#19 Wed 28 Nov 12 3:53pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Sadly, Mummza, it looks as though I'll be stuck with the butcher from now on in as eating vegetable-oil (including sunflower, rapeseed, grapeseed, groundnut, etc) based foods, or foods cooked in the oils leaves me with horribly arthritic-feeling joints - I seem to be stuck with animal fats and olive oil (extra-virgin only, as well  hmm  ) from now on in...

Update:  using proper raw suet is a doddle - no smell, no nasty texture - really easy to do, and won't hesitate to use it again.  It even tastes neutral (yes, I did try a little bit  oops  ), so shouldn't affect the taste of the mincemeat in any way  crossed   thumbsup

Last edited by oliviascotland (Wed 28 Nov 12 7:10pm)

Likes (0)

#20 Thu 29 Nov 12 9:54am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I don't know if I'd chew on raw suet if I were you. I don't actually know this, but a lump of raw fat from the abdomen of a dead animal doesn't seem like a healthy snack. The stuff in boxes has been rendered, so it's sterile - you can eat it straight from the box if you want. Mmm... chewy fat...

But hey, if chewing raw fat is your extreme sport, who am I to judge? I drive a car regularly, which is far more dangerous. I'm trying to kick the habit, but you know how it is, you step out, it's sitting there, all shiny and stuffed with juicy fossil fuel...

Last edited by hippytea (Thu 29 Nov 12 9:56am)

Likes (0)