Jamie Oliver

forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 22 Oct 10 10:24am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Aluminium, plastic, teflon & Tefal is not safe to cook with!

Poor Old Al wrote:

The literature reaches no conclusion, either way. There is a significant difference between a cause and a contributing factor. There is a strong body of evidence against ther use of teflon, most specifically PFOA.
For or against, J gets paid to endorse. I do things for my money I don't always agree with, as does everyone here. Accept that there is often a difference between practice and preaching where money is concerned.

What literature?

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 22 Oct 10 11:42am

AndyH

Occupation Drinks Taster
From Beer Garden
Member since Sun 04 Jul 04

Apparently CFC's used in refrigerants are bad for the atmosphere, anybody use aircon 

whistle

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 22 Oct 10 11:53am

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

The White Rabbit wrote:

Rachelcooper wrote:

If chemicals can kill birds, then they must also be bad for humans, no matter what the intake size.

Toxicology is not that simple

A couple of examples of this-
Berries that can kill humans have no effect on some tiny little birds.
We happily eat chocolate, but if the dog eats it, he can die.

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)

#14 Sat 23 Oct 10 12:28am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

TerryKay wrote:

The White Rabbit wrote:

Rachelcooper wrote:

If chemicals can kill birds, then they must also be bad for humans, no matter what the intake size.

Toxicology is not that simple

A couple of examples of this-
Berries that can kill humans have no effect on some tiny little birds.
We happily eat chocolate, but if the dog eats it, he can die.

Exactly

The bite of a funnel web spider is only lethal to primates (including humans), but if your dog or cat gets bitten they'll just get ill.

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 25 Oct 10 7:21am

Rachelcooper

From Australia
Member since Thu 14 Oct 10

Berries, Chocolate and funnel web spiders are natural (coco in chocolate). I say the fewer chemicals we have in our lives the better.

There are cookware choices available which don't have PTFE and PFOA in them.

Likes (0)

#16 Mon 25 Oct 10 7:50am

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

Good old cast iron cookware anybody? I do use non-stick for some purposes though, like frying eggs.

Likes (0)

#17 Mon 25 Oct 10 8:12am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

Chocolate is toxic to humans.  The lethal dose for an adult human is about 10kg of chocolate.  Less is required to kill a dog (the lethal dose depending on the size of the dog); a smaller amount will give the dog symptoms of the toxicity.  About 5g could kill a bird.

The toxic substance in the chocolate is theobromine, a chemical compound found in cacao beans.  It is an alkaloid, and a stimulant, not unlike caffeine.

It's not only the size of the animal or bird that matters.  Different animals metabolize theobromine at different rates.  Humans metabolize theobromine quickly, compared with other animals.

Amounts for lethal doses also depend on the type of chocolate (dark, milk, etc.).  Different types of chocolate have different amounts of theobromine.

Some chemicals occur naturally, and some are produced artificially.  Of each type, some are toxic to animals and/or humans, and lethal in large enough doses.  Others can be bad for the environment, even if not actually toxic to humans.

All matter on the planet is made up of various mixtures of elements and chemical compounds.  Thus water is a chemical substance made up of the chemical elements Hydrogen and Oxygen.  Drinking too much water can also be lethal, but it takes a very, very high dose to kill a person.

I think what we mean when we say we wish to avoid chemicals in our food, cleaning products, household goods, etc. is - well, it's a shorthand for saying we wish to avoid substances that we believe will be particularly harsh or damaging, either to our bodies and health, or to the environment, in standard or common doses or usage amounts.

Likes (0)

#18 Mon 25 Oct 10 8:39am

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

I think we can safely say that throughout the history of this planet, we have evolved and developed many things, some of which can be blamed for pollution or causing adverse health effects.

Personally I think we need to balance out the usefulness factor with the potential risk. Where one outweighs the other then we know which way to go. As far as non-stick coatings go, the trick has to be developing less toxic products.

Without a doubt, the non-stick pan has made life easier for many people - try frying an egg in a "stick" pan wink

This is particularly important given that people today have more access to information and are generally more concerned about health and environmental issues.

We will never stop progress, as the Luddites found out when they tried to stop the electrical loom, or the worried people who thought that computers would put them out of a job have found.

Last edited by falconcy (Mon 25 Oct 10 8:41am)

Likes (0)

#19 Mon 25 Oct 10 8:56am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

We'll certainly never stop change and invention.  Whether or not I'd call it all progress is another question ...  wink   hmm

Likes (0)

#20 Tue 26 Oct 10 12:43am

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

10kg OF CHOCOLATE!!!!!!! shocked  exclaim
Even the missus couldn't get through that and she's the world's chocoholic champion.
Look up the word 'chocoholic' in any dictionary and there's a picture of her fiercely guarding her Greens & Blacks chocky bar.

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)