forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 23 Aug 12 5:53pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Re: Beef & Red Meat in the U.S...is this normal?!

The White Rabbit wrote:

Besides people are most likely to get cancer from eating badly in terms of fat and alcohol and being obese (or smoking) more so from the slim risks that may or may not be posed from small quantities of compounds within the food chain.

They're also very likely to get cancer from an unresolved significal emotional event (S.E.E.) although not many seem to care, unfort... sad

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 24 Aug 12 6:41am

IloveEATING

Member since Thu 23 Aug 12

ms pablo & sergio1972 - thank you both for these recommendations!! Not really sure where the best places to shop are for fresh/organic produce, so really appreciate your recommendations. Will definitely try them out smile

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 24 Aug 12 10:46am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

IloveEATING ,welcome to the forum  big_smile

We have had quite a few discussions on 'pink slime ' (puke) ,  this link has a few links to youtube
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 21&p=1
including some posted by a passing forum member who felt pink slime was OK .

The meat you bought does not sound grea to me , I don't think I would buy that again.

Coco , I am amazed that the prepacked meat that you bought would last a month , I think I would have avoided that as well, Meat I buy is used with in a day or two or I put it in the freezer on the day I buy it.

Ashen you are so right about the ammonia, over ripe Brie is a prime example of the amonia small , my father would always leave Brie till it was running over the plate but there was a fine line between that and the amonia smelling runny brie !

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 24 Aug 12 11:47am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

I've come across this before but not recently. I actually thought it was cooked blood.

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 24 Aug 12 1:44pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

IloveEATING wrote:

Good to know The White Rabbitt! My rule of thumb - if I can't pronounce it, I probably don't want to be eating it!

Sure, there may be no research to support the link to cancer - but I wouldn't want to risk it personally. I'm sure back in the day they thought asbestos was safe - there needs to be much more research done!!

Breathing in any small particle is bad and that was known about for a long time. Before asbestos it was coal dust.

Burnt foods do contain carcinogens. Some viruses produced cancer. But I really think these things are low on the list after lifestyle factors and workplace exposures (which I imagine is reducing with litigation).

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 24 Aug 12 1:49pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Ashen wrote:

ok just to jump on the pedant chain... 

ammonium hydroxide  may no be carcinogenic but it is tumorigenic according to MSDS sheet. 

I will add for perspective that black peppercorns are also tumorigenic, and that there is naturally occuring instances of ammonia in many foods .  It is produced by the natural decomposition process in those foods.  overripe cheese is a prime example .

toxicity and carcinogenicity are some of the hardest to classify...it's so much easier with chemicals that will just burst into flames on contact with air

and as ashen points out a lot do exist in foods naturally. I think the perception of risk from minor components in food is probably overestimated (there was an interesting news article about it recently but all i can find is http://www.asco.org/ASCOv2/Meetings/Abs … ctID=99589)

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 24 Aug 12 3:09pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Here is something to do with meat you don't want to eat: http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/beef-jerk … ney-143062
smile

Likes (0)

#18 Fri 24 Aug 12 6:03pm

mark's kitchen

Occupation Head cook, Mark's Kitchen & Smokin' BBQ
From santa rosa,california,usa
Member since Mon 21 Jun 04

I Love EATING, It has been my experience that it is better to buy your beef in larger portions and do your own trimming to stewmeat, shredded or whatever you desire. I would look for a market near you that gets their meat from a reputable source. Obviously packageing can lead to problems as well as additives to bulk up weight as in pre cut stew meats. My overall credo is, "if it smells bad, chuck it in the trash" or better yet take it back to the market for a refund.

Oh, and no, not all meat here is bad.

Mark

Likes (0)

#19 Mon 22 Oct 12 9:54am

Myidaho Natural

Member since Mon 22 Oct 12

Hi, I'm a beef farmer in Australia specializing in paddock to plate natural beef; from what it sounds like the brown stuff is likely blood - perhaps the meat was frozen then thawed they refrozen again. If you ever consider the color of blood from a blood blister or something like that the same style of 'rotten' blood is emitted. Supermarket chains in Australia don't have the logistical problems they have in the USA given the mass volume; meat tends to be finished almost purely on corn rations in the USA for supermarket forward contracts for consistency and sizing purposes so, it's not uncommon to experience the dark ooz almost a syrup content mixed with blood. The corn sometimes has 'hot-mix' in it as well which can be syrup or molasses to make the grain more palatable for the animal in the feedlot. It could be anything like that or all of the above. The best way of dealing with it I found was to wash the meat and rest it for a half hour on blotting towel type paper. If you're in the north of the country try getting your beef from Namin Ranch; they have a lot of on-sellers in the USA as the movement back to natural beef grows. They do it really well - I'm pretty sure they dumped corn from their own grain supplementary program. Just stay away from the supermarkets and find a farmers market and you should be able to get quality beef. Hope my comments help in some way or another. Cheers Charles

Likes (0)

#20 Tue 23 Oct 12 12:06am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Great to read your informative reply there Charles! cool

Likes (0)