forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sat 13 Apr 13 10:01am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: How many days a week do you eat vegetarian meals ?

No hard and fast rules here for vegetarian days.  If it happens, it happens.  As long as my diet is balanced, that's good.

Likes (0)

#12 Sat 13 Apr 13 1:33pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

This week, we've mostly eaten no-meat meals - salmon featured twice, other meals were vegetarian except for dairy products and eggs.  I don't really want to get in to a discussion about what vegetarian is these days because none of the definitions are consistent - if it's about killing animals - then dairy and eggs need to be off the menu, if it's about not eating meat, then why not include fish, if it is about caring for the ecosystem -  stop covering the earth's surface in food for humans because it's all hard on wildlife and the ecosystem.  Even organic farming is not good for the environment.

Last edited by MsPablo (Sat 13 Apr 13 1:41pm)

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 13 Apr 13 2:54pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

MsPablo wrote:

This week, we've mostly eaten no-meat meals - salmon featured twice, other meals were vegetarian except for dairy products and eggs.  I don't really want to get in to a discussion about what vegetarian is these days because none of the definihttp://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/post.php?tid=80019&qid=697357tions are consistent - if it's about killing animals - then dairy and eggs need to be off the menu, if it's about not eating meat, then why not include fish, if it is about caring for the ecosystem -  stop covering the earth's surface in food for humans because it's all hard on wildlife and the ecosystem.  Even organic farming is not good for the environment.

............................................................................................
veg·e·tar·i·an 
/ˌvejiˈte(ə)rēən/
Noun
A person who does not eat meat, and sometimes other animal products, esp. for moral, religious, or health reasons.
Adjective
Of or relating to the exclusion of meat or other animal products from the diet: "a vegetarian restaurant".
............................................................................................
veg·an 
/ˈvēgən/
Noun
A person who does not eat or use animal products.
pescatarian 

Pescetarianism, also called pesco-vegetarianism, is the practice of a diet that includes seafood and excludes other animals. In addition...
organic farming 
Web definitions
Organic farming is the form of agriculture that relies on techniques such as crop rotation, green manure, compost, and biological pest..
big_smile

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 13 Apr 13 3:07pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

roll  help  exclaim  As long as we have these new age definitions, we can all feel smug and superior and believe that what we eat is not impacting the earth, but all of it does and it's not that simple.

edited to make my post more concise.

Last edited by MsPablo (Sat 13 Apr 13 3:38pm)

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 13 Apr 13 4:29pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

your quite right MsP.

Likes (0)

#16 Sat 13 Apr 13 9:34pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

yeah and all the exotic things the uber-vegans eat like goji berries and other things, how it gets to the western consumer is still a problem. better to eat locally grown stuff than transport from thousands of miles away.
it is still business as usual

Likes (0)

#17 Sun 14 Apr 13 12:59am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Most of my lunches are meat free and probably 2 evening meals are per week. This is not to do with wanting to eat less meat (because i love it) but because I want to eat the right proportion of vegetables each week (and i love vegetables too). Our meat serves are the recommended amount not larger again to ensure enough vegetable intake. We don't have fish as much as I'd like. Despite living in a port city it's not easy to come by in the suburbs.

Likes (0)

#18 Sun 14 Apr 13 9:56am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I can't eat fish and not giving my children fish as very young children is something that I regret .
Later it was only one of my children that liked fish , 2 others would eventually eat fishfingers ( given to then by others as it was not something that I thought to buy ) but one of the children would always peel the breadcrumb exterior to the fish finger off it before she ate them !!
Now as Adults they are all gradually starting to eat fish , 2 of the family really enjoying fish and the other 2 sort of tolorating it and enjoying it occasioally !

As for vegetables and vegetarian meals, well I never had any problem at all getting them to eat vegatables but they all had the odd dislike .

Likes (0)

#19 Sun 14 Apr 13 1:29pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

mummza wrote:

I can't eat fish and not giving my children fish as very young children is something that I regret .
Later it was only one of my children that liked fish , 2 others would eventually eat fishfingers ( given to then by others as it was not something that I thought to buy ) but one of the children would always peel the breadcrumb exterior to the fish finger off it before she ate them !!
Now as Adults they are all gradually starting to eat fish , 2 of the family really enjoying fish and the other 2 sort of tolorating it and enjoying it occasioally !

As for vegetables and vegetarian meals, well I never had any problem at all getting them to eat vegatables but they all had the odd dislike .

We all have to be careful what likes/dislikes we pass on to our kids.  I have a friend who grew up on canned soup, processed cheese and chicken nuggets and the thought of eating chicken with a bone in it virtually freaks her out.  What do you think her daughter is now eating?  White bread sandwiches with american cheese, chicken nuggets and canned soup.  Come on people!  I like fish, have always eaten it, but I definitely don't prefer it over meat, it's more like I have to type of thing.  My toddler though can scarf down an entire mackerel on his own, he's never eaten a fish stick.

Last edited by koukouvagia (Sun 14 Apr 13 1:30pm)

Likes (0)

#20 Sun 14 Apr 13 2:05pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Its not that I did not like the fish , koukouvagia , but more that I was very wary of giving the children fish as I an allergic to it as was my father , I was anxious for them as I was unaware wether they might have the same allergy or not.
Forthuatly it transpires that they can all eat fish but I was not to know that at the time.

Anyway they ate loads of vegetables and would happily eat any vegetarian meal .
They all also ate and enjoyed meat , Times like during Lent I found that some of them would gve up eating meat and so were totally vegetarian during that time.

Likes (0)