#11 Mon 15 Apr 13 11:58pm

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: How do you cook an Omelette ?

wine~o wrote:

folded twice surely...

I loved the episode of saturday kitchen where Raymond Blanc took his time over the omelette challenge (Took all of 1 minute and a bit) and then shaved a little truffle over it..

Raymond Blanc is a star and he made a pretty decent omelette as I remember .

Likes (0)

#12 Tue 16 Apr 13 1:17pm

Forum champ
Occupation Musician
From NYC
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

There's a hundred ways to make an omelet, it's all a matter of personal preference. 

No milk or water for me.  I like to pour my eggs into a the saucepan and stir gently until it begins to set.  The heat is very very low.  Then I leave it alone and place a lid on it so the top can cook a bit.  The omelet is ready when the bottom is set and the top is still glistening.  I roll it out of the pan into thirds so that it is a long thin tube on the plate.  The inside should be soft fluffy moist curds.  If there is a spec of brown on the outside I consider it a failure. 

But for my husband, he wants it folded in half, totally cooked through until dry and brown.  I don't understand how he'd like it like that but of course I indulge him because it is after all extremely easy to overcook and burn eggs so it's really no problem  tongue

Last edited by koukouvagia (Tue 16 Apr 13 1:18pm)

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 16 Apr 13 4:07pm

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

Hey all, sorry I'm a bit late offering this up - Jamie's got a great little omelette video from Ministry of Food here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQyRuOEKfVk

Really worth watching, I usually tend to do it like this myself.

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 17 Apr 13 3:00pm

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

I do it in various ways, but mostly cause I like to add onions, capsicam, sprouts and other veggies I make a .... well, more like that korean style pancake, I think? but it still usually folds into 3 as it rolls out.

Likes (0)