Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 30 Apr 14 9:26am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

Re: Rosemary Cuttings

I asked once a beautiful deep diamond blue eyed elderly lady who was a stories collector if she was a (good)witch aswell and how they make themselves recognizable and sign the territorio, she smiled impercettibilmente and told me they just move plants .............. that suited me perfectly ........... out of our entrance gate on the public street grows a plant of rosemary
  smile  shocked  lol  thumbsup

Last edited by Grandmadamada (Wed 30 Apr 14 9:26am)

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 30 Apr 14 9:58am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

And Grandmadamada , if I lived near by there may be a few more plants arrive down the street as you know I like to nip off a little cutting and press it into the ground elsewhere  lol

Likes (0)

#13 Wed 30 Apr 14 10:20am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

thumbsup  thumbsup  lol  wink

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 30 Apr 14 1:35pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

I've always wanted to grow herbs on my balcony which faces west unfortunately, but what would be a good time of year to plant?  I'd like rosemary, mint, chives, parsley, and basil.

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 30 Apr 14 11:05pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I have planted bits of rosemary at any time of the year during spring summer and autumn but not in winter .
it roots very easily .

Likes (0)

#16 Wed 30 Apr 14 11:17pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Autumn (Fall) is best. Just avoid temperature extremes (same with most plants). So not during a NYC hot and humid spell and not during winter.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#17 Wed 30 Apr 14 11:24pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

koukouvagia wrote:

I've always wanted to grow herbs on my balcony which faces west unfortunately, but what would be a good time of year to plant?  I'd like rosemary, mint, chives, parsley, and basil.

Apart from Basil, which I buy in punnets at the end of spring, these are all things I get free!

Rosemary: I pull off a nice growing  bit (half way between soft and woody). In mild Melbourne this can even be done in winter, but I think the best time might be as it is starting to put on growth in spring. It can grow into a big woody plant, so have a big plantpot ready for it.

Mint dies back over winter so again spring is the best time. If you can't pluck a bit from someone's garden (stick it in a vase for a week, and then plant it in a pot and keep moist) next time you buy a bunch try growing a nice looking bit of it.

Chives need a friend whose patch has grown thick so they can dig up a clump for you (to get them for free). They have little bulbs. If you get some growing, they gradually get bigger and thicker until you have to divide them. Like other bulbs, they die back over winter.

I think basil will have the most trouble facing west. It likes pretty much the same conditions as tomatoes. But give it a go anyway!

It is such a treat to have herbs growing!

Last edited by JoyYamDaisy (Wed 30 Apr 14 11:24pm)

Likes (0)

#18 Thu 01 May 14 1:27am

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

What does "dies over" mean?  Does that mean I can leave outside during winter, it dies and then springs back to life?

Likes (0)

#19 Thu 01 May 14 1:33am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

koukouvagia wrote:

What does "dies over" mean?  Does that mean I can leave outside during winter, it dies and then springs back to life?

Not sure if it'd survive a NYC winter outside (no harm in trying, I guess), but yes, comes back in spring.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#20 Thu 01 May 14 1:41am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Yes! By dies back, I mean that the above ground part of the plant dies (shrivels, blackens, goes brown and fades away!) over winter, but in spring new shoots grow and you get the plant back again!

(But as Maree says, bitter cold and other things (eating the roots etc) could kill them over winter)

Last edited by JoyYamDaisy (Thu 01 May 14 2:03am)

Likes (0)