#11 Sat 23 Feb 13 11:59pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: shepherd's pie

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

We are shocking in Australia Mummza, you should see what we call apple crumble! whistle

oh dear ... what do you call apple crumble ?
roll

And as for Shepherds Pie ... if I ever see that Man who was doing the masterclass on Australia Masterchef I will be sure to tell him
that Cottage pie is made with beef and Shepherds Pie is made with Lamb
( there is a clue in the name as its the Shepherds who look after the sheep )

Likes (0)

#12 Sun 24 Feb 13 12:12am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

it is false advertising if we are going to go by pie naming conventions, like apple pie or blueberry pie or raisin pie. it should be sheep pie or lamb pie , unless its made with minced sheperds.  tongue

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#13 Sun 24 Feb 13 3:22am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Our apple crumbles generally have oats and nuts in the crumble, and not much flour (although I am sure there are places here where the UK tradition is strong).
So long as it is crumbly, we call it a crumble!

I did know about Shepherd's Pie/Cottagers Pie, but lamb was so ubiquitous here that meat and lamb were just about synonymous, so that it is no wonder that so many Australians think mince meat with a mashed potato topping = shepherd's pie.

Keep telling them though, it is educational and fun! cool

I like your point too Ashen! I often think of that with almond biscuits, wholewheat biscuits, and dog biscuits! wink

Likes (0)

#14 Sun 24 Feb 13 9:46am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Ashen wrote:

it is false advertising if we are going to go by pie naming conventions, like apple pie or blueberry pie or raisin pie. it should be sheep pie or lamb pie , unless its made with minced sheperds.  tongue

Ashen...the very idea on mincing shepherds to make a pie !

Likes (0)

#15 Sun 24 Feb 13 2:38pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Wiki says 'Cottage Pie' is an older term for a pie made with leftover beef or mutton and that the use of 'Shepherd's Pie' for lamb and 'Cottage Pie' for beef is a newer use of the terms.  Do you guys from the U.K. agree with this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottage_pie

eta: forgot the link!

Joy, now you have me confused about crumbles.  We make it crumbly with oats and call it a 'crisp'.  Back to Wiki for how the U.K. peoples do it.

Last edited by MsPablo (Sun 24 Feb 13 2:41pm)

Likes (0)

#16 Sun 24 Feb 13 2:41pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Yes!

Likes (0)

#17 Sun 24 Feb 13 2:44pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Yes, you agree with Wiki about Shepherds versus Cottage?

Here's Wiki on Crumbles.  We've had it here since our British colonial days and it's never really become unpopular.  I see they originals were made with flour, not necessarily oats, but the addition of oats was brilliant, in my opinion, whoever came up with that, but I am sure various flours could have been used depending on where one lived and what was plentiful.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumble

Last edited by MsPablo (Sun 24 Feb 13 2:44pm)

Likes (0)

#18 Sun 24 Feb 13 3:26pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Dunno where Wiki gets it's nonsense from sometimes....

Cottage...always had a cow or two to provide milk...

Shepherds...always had sheep...

Apart from little Bo-peep...who lost hers.....

Likes (0)

#19 Sun 24 Feb 13 11:21pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

Our apple crumbles generally have oats and nuts in the crumble, and not much flour (although I am sure there are places here where the UK tradition is strong).
So long as it is crumbly, we call it a crumble!

Not sure what you mean...........I am as English as it gets & all my 'Crumbles' have always used Oats in them........I also use Demerara sugar to make a better crunch. An oaty crumble definitely isn't a 'foreign' invention!

One of my  most popular 'Crumbles is Apple, but with a buttery caramel sauce coating the fruit & crushed nut brittle mixed into the oaty mixture.

Likes (0)

#20 Sun 24 Feb 13 11:25pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

MsPablo wrote:

Wiki says 'Cottage Pie' is an older term for a pie made with leftover beef or mutton and that the use of 'Shepherd's Pie' for lamb and 'Cottage Pie' for beef is a newer use of the terms.  Do you guys from the U.K. agree with this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottage_pie

eta: forgot the link!

Joy, now you have me confused about crumbles.  We make it crumbly with oats and call it a 'crisp'.  Back to Wiki for how the U.K. peoples do it.

I take what Wiki says about any nation's habits with a lorry-load of salt!
The lamb/beef distinction is about as real as it gets for the Cottage/Shepherd's Pie question............by 'newer', how new do you mean? I know of the both terms being used all my lifetime & no-one would be daft enough to class me as 'new'!!!

Likes (0)