Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 05 Nov 13 8:25pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: Coffee, coffee, coffee

ANN wrote:

One of the best coffees I've had is Greek coffee.  A Greek lady made me a cup the old way.  Took her a good 5 minutes, putting the small pot on the fire then off the fire then halfway on the fire.  It was well worth the wait.   It was bit thicker and very strong but in a good way.

I have a "briki" (the traditional copper pot), too. Funny thing is that it was sold to me as a butter or milk pot. I only use it when the Greek in-laws visit. Greek coffee and Turkish coffee are similar. I'm not quite sure the difference or if there is a difference (apart from national pride).

ANN wrote:

I have a gold filter and it pays for itself in just a short while.  Don't have to keep buying paperfilters.

I have one for when my daughter visits. Yes, it does save buying filter papers but I use the papers for other things as well. And when making coffee using papers, the grounds are easier/neater to transfer into the worm farm or the compost heap(s).

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (3)

#12 Wed 06 Nov 13 12:35am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

we have three sizes of coffee machines (??) caffettiere I'm not sure I can say the name, for 1, 2 and three cups. For breakfast I have the twocups addign a little cold milk, but after lunch we have an espresso in the same for two of us. The mix is arabica and a local brand not too strong. Sometimes I think it sould be worth grinding it at the moment just for the joy of filling the kitchen with profumo di caffè big_smile

Likes (0)

#13 Wed 06 Nov 13 1:34am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I don't drink coffee but I love the smell of good coffee in the morning. Fresh grind with our hario hand grinder.

Merlin, if you make a trip to Australia let me know and I'll compile a list of places to visit in Surry hills in Sydney to visit.

I know a few coffee nuts. One who even modified a pop corn machine with a metal tube to be able to roast beans herself.

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 06 Nov 13 12:40pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

Oh I love the smell of coffee, and whereas I don't drink it often only really after a "special" meal, I do like to grind my own.  We bought a filter machine from Aldi a few years ago with a grinder in it. 

When I was young my parents use to go to a little coffee shop in Lincoln, it was tiny so I had to wait outside with my brothers, but I use to love pressing my face up to the window and looking at all the huge tins of coffee beans lined along the wall, my parents would select their blend and he would mix the beans and then grind them in a huge machine, the smell was heavenly.  They use to have a mix of three beans one of which was bluemountain, but I don't remember the others.

Likes (0)

#15 Thu 07 Nov 13 7:10am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I've had an old Malita porcelain coffee cone for around 40 years !
I have to admit not using it much these days partly because the filter papers became harder to get .
But to my surprise my son produced a filter cone to make me a coffee recently at his flat in London , he then proceeded to tell me how it made a great cup of coffee and how that he had to buy the cone online.
I'm surprised he'd forgotten that we used to use one all the time until we bought an Italian coffee machine that ground the beans fresh for each cup of coffee around 19 years ago , as all through his childhood we made coffee with the drip filter method.

It's a good idea to pour the boiling water into a jug before pouring it over the grounds as it will reduce the temperature of the water slightly , coffee , I never make coffee with boiling water , I think it's better if the water is just off boiling  .

Now I have been given one of those Napresso machines , the coffee it makes is good but it's pricey , and with the machine I have you can only get the coffee in the Napresso boutiques or by ordering on line , a real nuisance if you ask me as I'd like to be able to pop to the shops and buy a few packets whilst I'm out . But they do take away and recycle the empty capsules when they deliver more coffee.

I have seen the Monmouth coffee company in action in Borough market and recall the long  line of filter drips that they have and the long line of coustomers waiting to be served .   Which is the problem with filter drip coffee , it takes time and you have to wait , but it does give a good cup of coffee.

I'm a bit jealous of Ashen lives so close to a good coffee shop that roasts beans daily , we don't have that here where I live , and they are not easy to find here in the UK.   It was one of those shops that roasted coffee daily that first got me to enjoy and appreciate coffee when I lived in Brighton years ago , it's a shame that most coffee comes pre packed and pre ground  these days.

Last edited by mummza (Fri 08 Nov 13 10:02am)

Likes (0)

#16 Thu 07 Nov 13 6:26pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

Guys, I had no idea this would be such a talking point! How great to hear your thoughts.

Am hoping to focus at some point on honing a coffee cake recipe that tastes more like a dark espresso than a Starbucks frappuccino. Any keen bakers/coffee lovers out there got any tips?

Likes (0)

#17 Thu 07 Nov 13 8:50pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

do you know how many ways there are to drink or order a coffee in un bar italiano?

http://www.lifeinitaly.com/food/coffee.asp 

I googled this to find out a short list and if you scroll down you'll find some wink

Likes (0)

#18 Thu 07 Nov 13 10:23pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Italy is my favorite place in the world to enjoy coffee!  The cost in Rome versus Paris was so much better (Castroni in Rome).

I don't know the facts, but people in Portugal told me that the coffee trade is very old and those families who have been in business for ages get the best, not every place can buy the same quality for any price . . . wonder if that is true.

Likes (3)

#19 Fri 08 Nov 13 9:59am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Grandmadamada , I discovered that it was cheaper to drink an expression standing at the bar in a cafe rather than sitting down on a seat ! I enjoyed my €1 espressos very much when I was in Florence in May this year .   thumbsup

Likes (0)

#20 Fri 08 Nov 13 10:18am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Merlin , coffee and walnut cake has always been a favourite of mine , ( although it's rare I eat cake ) I often coffee cake is one of those that you get given a slice of and find it has little in the way of coffee taste to it.

I haven't made a coffee cake for years but remember the coffee being a little drying to the mixture. Best made with a few very strong expresso's I think but reduce the fluid .
Or you could increase the intensity by making an intense coffee filling for between the layers .

In the 60's and early 70's it was common to make coffee cake using 'Camp Coffee'  a sweetened syrupy brown liquid made from sugar , coffee essence and chicory . Sold in bottles , still available in some supermarkets still today ( I am led to believe by the internet ) .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Coffee.

Likes (0)