forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 13 Apr 07 3:13am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: which are our personal Jamie fav. cookbooks?

The return of the naked chef is the australian (and english/european?) name for Jamie's second book. It was released as the naked chef takes off in the US for goodness knows what reason.

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 13 Apr 07 12:22pm

Rofon

From Wodonga - Australia
Member since Tue 21 Feb 06

To The White Rabbit.
It really is true you know.  That's our son on the left in our Avatar.  That photo was taken during our son's 4 day stay over Xmas last year at Jamie and Jools' property in Essex.  Our son and another chef from 15 were invited by Jamie out to the house to cook for 25 people which was Jamie, Jools their families and closest friends.   Plus a finger food function for 60 people.  But that is another story. 

To answer your question, it all started like this - From an early age, my son David was always interested in cooking. Jamie being his idol and the person who he admired for many years. Watching every TV show and buying every one of Jamie’s books.

He left school at 17 because he just didn't want to be there. Got himself a job as a kitchen hand at a local Cafe. After a short while, was offered a traineeship in kitchen operations. Nine months later was offered an apprenticeship in cookery, qualifying as a Chef some three years later at the age of 21. During which time, his inspiration continued to be Jamie.

In a very short time after qualifying he was offered and accepted the Head Chefs position and did this for some months before he decided that he had outgrown the Cafe and moved onto one of the large Hotels in Albury as a Chef de Partie.

12 Months later he was appointed Head Chef of this establishment and together with his team, was producing some 300 covers on most nights of the week. He held this role from September 2005 until January 2006 when he decided that following a relationship breakdown he would head off overseas on a working holiday.

At this stage he was quite happy to do whatever when he got to London, for he only wanted to basically earn enough money to travel UK - Europe over the next two years.

He arrived in London on the 20th January 2006 and on the 6th February 2006 he found himself working at Restaurant 15 and is still there today.

As fate has it, he was standing in Customs and was tapped on the shoulder by a young lady who happened to over hear that he was a Chef. This young lady introduced herself as the Restaurant Manager of 15 and asked David to send her a resume. And as they say, the rest is history.

He tells us that he still pinches himself everyday that he is working at 15 and with his hero Jamie. Gennaro being the wonderful man that he is has taken my son under his wing and is his surrogate dad.

His time at 15 has been so exciting and full on with so much happening all the time. He is so amazed at the quality of all the produce used as only
the best of the best will be sourced.

He has been lucky enough to still get some travelling into his agenda, having been to Ireland, Scotland, World Cup in Germany, Austria, Italy and the French Riviera, Spain and is going to the dawn service at Gallipoli later this month. He has also been lucky to have been on two field trips with 15 - one to Elwy Valley Wales where the lamb is supplied from and another to the Piemonte Region in Italy for cheese and wine.

We were lucky enough to actually meet with Jamie on his trip to Australia in September last. Not only did we meet Jamie but also Gennaro and many of the gang from 15 in London. It makes us also feel part of the 15 family. Hearing Jamie and Gennaro both speak so highly of our son made my wife and I the proudest parents in the world.

David was also asked to assist with the catering for Jamie’s BIG charity night on the 30 November.....another great opportunity for him.

Jamie also asked him back to Essex in January this year to help cater a function for 30 execs from Penguin books.  he even did a pasta making presentation for them which Jamie sprung on him at the last minute.

We both miss him like crazy, but we know that an opportunity like this only comes around once in a lifetime, so we try and encourage him to take all before him and see where this road takes him. For it can only be all good for him down the track. He actually cam back to Wodonga for seven days in feb to get re entry clearance into the UK as he (with Fifteen's help) was granted a five year work permit, so who knows if and when he will ever return to Oz.  He has just been promoted to Chef de Partie following a big year.

We watched Jamies' Kitchen Australia religiously, and, were over the moon when our son appeared in four of the episode's.  It's a wonder you did not see him in the kangaroo meat espisode as he was on screen talking to Jamie for quite a while. (Mentioned he came from Wodonga)

David was lucky enough to have met Chase and Vanessa (Fifteen Melbourne trainees) when they went to London and reckons they are both tops. He looks forward to working with them one day on his return to Australia.

We are planning a trip to London for August and look forward to meeting all the crew at Fifteen.  We have spoken to many of them over the phone and they all seem such wonderful people.  Spoke to Gennaro the other night and have also been invited to dinner at his restaurant Passione on arrival, really look forward to that as well.

Well that’s about it for now, will keep in touch with updates as time goes on.

Best wishes
Fon and Rosemary

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 13 Apr 07 3:23pm

Mrs Gibba

Forum champ
Member since Thu 14 Apr 05

Such a cool story, and you sound so proud.  Shows that if you want to follow your dream that you have to work hard, grab the opportunity, and take some risks.

Btw, in answer to the q, for me, it's a mixture of the last three books: Dinners (first started cooking with that series); Italy, and Cook with.  HAven't even gotten the earliest books, so I have no idea about those...

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 14 Apr 07 3:44am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

wow, that's cool

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 14 Apr 07 11:39am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

That is a very cool story. A dream come true for your son.

Mrs G, I cant believe that, about the first 2 books. Definately worth looking into.

Rabbit, I found that thread, it had dissapeared off the first couple of pages.
I think the problem is that she is not resting the dough. Only other thing it could be is that some butters around the world are very soft making it hard to bake with. There is no location listed but maybe she is from Tuscany or somewhere? You asked her about it, but if that is the "normal" butter she grew up with?

Likes (0)

#16 Sat 14 Apr 07 11:23pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

good point about the butter frizz

Likes (0)

#17 Sun 15 Apr 07 11:59am

Rofon

From Wodonga - Australia
Member since Tue 21 Feb 06

Mrs G
Yes we are sooooooo proud of our boy.  He had a dream and followed it.  We ran into a couple of his mates the other day who said that Dave told them years ago that he would work at Fifteen one day.  Of course at the time they all told him he was full of you know what.  But they also are proud of his committment to his dream.

Likes (0)

#18 Sun 15 Apr 07 6:16pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Rofon, I think thats a great story. Well done David  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#19 Tue 17 Apr 07 4:05pm

uoftgrad

Occupation full time
From behind those adorable Raybans
Member since Mon 22 Nov 04

Fon & Rosemary - amazing story! You both sound so proud of him, as you should be!!!

Maree - sorry I should have put the other title in that last post.  whistle Thanks WhiteRabbit!  mrgreen

Likes (0)