Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 01 May 08 4:30am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Re: Vegetable leftovers

With teenagers in the house there is never much leftover but I do cook up leftover veg. peelings for the dogs, the rest go into my compost bin.

I also make soups, stocks from the tail end of vegs, i.e i keep the asparagus ends fto flavour soups, bottoms of the celery.

Likes (0)

#12 Sat 03 May 08 8:53pm

bentpenny

From CANADA
Member since Wed 09 May 07

I try to make use of all the veggies that i have in the house, but whatever we don't eat and left over scraps go to our rabbits.  it's a very cheap way of feeding them.  rabbit food can get expensive at times.  They also enjoy cabbage leaves, carrot tops, and leftover melon or pumpkin skins.  During the winter months some of my family save their veggie scraps for our rabbits.

Likes (0)

#13 Sun 04 May 08 1:19am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

When I had rabbits as a child their 2 favorite treats were a) parsley and b) the green 'leaves' of carrots. They did not like the actual carrot much...

Many pets eat certain leftovers. My friends feeds dry ends of bread and apples with little dents to her pony. My childhood friend's mom dried bread ends for the rabbits. Another girl in school fed raw carrots to her dog - he loved them!

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 07 May 08 1:41pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

My chicken loves veg scraps & bread scraps.. I think the fave is potato peels though.
My naughty chicken will pick through the compost if she sees me adding to it.

My friends daughter has a rabbit & a guinea pig, they love rose petals.

Between the dog, cat, chicken & compost there is never any waste in this house...

After making stock from roast chicken carcus's my cat loves the bones ( dog would love them too, but Im scared she will choke)

Likes (0)

#15 Tue 13 May 08 9:17am

TaniaG

Occupation thinking up ways to get my 2 kids to eat
From Milton Keynes
Member since Wed 12 Sep 07

The best thing I do with all my food leftovers (apart from meat) is feed them to my chickens! They love them! Its so easy to keep chickens so if you get some ex-battery hens, not only will you feel good because you've saved their lives but you'll also get the added bonus of getting eggs. As well as never feeling guilty about throwing away left-overs again! thumbsup

Likes (0)

#16 Sun 15 Jun 08 3:18am

jetdog

Occupation occupied
From Massachusetts USA
Member since Fri 22 Feb 08

I also freeze leftover veg and make stock... as I am vegetarian I can use this for any number of soups and sauces and the carnivores don't notice the difference The rabbits eat many leftover bits that are unsuitable for freezing. if salad green start to go a bit limp I fry them in a tiny splash of olive oil and garlic add some breadcrumbs ( which I grate from stale bread) and some parmesan cheese I know it sounds weird but my mom did this and I always loved it.

Likes (0)

#17 Sun 15 Jun 08 5:16pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

jetdog, it doesn't sound weird to me !!
'cooking' the lettuce... like Flashing lettuce in a wok with a little olive oil and garlic is realy good , splosh a bit of balsamic dressing over it and then tip it over a some stale-ish nice bread , a scattering of parmasan flakes and hey presto an almost instant warm salad ..and its good !! (well I think so anyway !!)

Likes (0)

#18 Mon 16 Jun 08 5:14pm

jetdog

Occupation occupied
From Massachusetts USA
Member since Fri 22 Feb 08

Wow mummza never thought of the balsamic action tried it and it was great thanks!
This is a great thread as food prices go up any help in stretching a meal is most welcome. We had chickens when I was a child and I loved going out in the early am getting the eggs. Mom would slaughter them when they got older ... I freaked out but she told me she traded them to the local Italian market for "store bought chicken" so I would eat it (my brothers and dad never had a problem) being quite young and very naive I believed her! Mom grew up during the depression so waste was unheard of in our house! I learned from her but alas do not slaughter my own meat, zoning laws being what they are!

Likes (0)

#19 Fri 20 Jun 08 5:25am

Progressyourlif

Member since Fri 20 Jun 08

What a great idea, anything to make you own stock is probably better than buying it at a grocery store.
The grocery store brand probably has High Fructose Corn Syrup in it anyway.
Mark
Progressyourlife.com

Likes (0)

#20 Fri 20 Jun 08 2:46pm

Sereh

Occupation mothering my toddler
From The Netherlands
Member since Thu 20 Jan 05

Excellent tip SusanneH! I have  a freezer box that will be very useful. I always dislike throwing things out, but no garden = no compost here in Rotterdam, so I kinda have to. But now I have a purpose for those nice little green bits! Yay!!!

Thanks a million!

Likes (0)