forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 07 Aug 08 1:25pm

cupcakes

Occupation PA
From cupcakes
Member since Tue 10 Jun 08

Re: Help - How do I make the best lasagna in the world?

Sounds like a great social night with friends idea!  Spreads the workload AND spreads the cost, all spiced up with a bit of healthy competition and hopefully a prize provided by the non-cooking partakers!!!!  Good luck.

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 08 Aug 08 1:17am

Murkar

Occupation Hermit
From Newcastle, Ontario (Canada)
Member since Thu 22 May 08

The best lasagne I've ever had was done by a woman from Cosenza who lived near my grandmother at a shore lunch we had at my zios camp near Thunder Bay.

It was made with fresh pasta using water (specifally not eggs, explained below). The sauce was made with her pressed Roma tomatoes (hard to come by unless you jar tomatoes ever year yourself, easily substitutable though), her homemade cracked olives (a little hard to come by also, but you should be able to replicate with some good ones, pits removed), garlic, some fresh oregano and basil, anchovies, salt, pepper, and chianti. Also a bit of ground veal and pork was cooked in the sauce.

I've got the recipe written down somewhere, I'll search for it, but basically what I remember is that it was layers of fresh pasta which was dried first (if they aren't really well dried before makign the pasta it won't absorb the sauce and your lasagna will be too sloppy and watery), tomato sauce, bechamel, and then sprinkled with finely grated pecorino (a fairly strong cheese, romano should be good as well). It was started with a thin layer of the tomato sauce on the bottom.

As I remember it (sorry but it was a few summers ago so it's not perfect) the key to it was not stuffing it with too many ingredients like vegetables, etc. Just a little meat in the sauce, and LOTS of layers of the fresh pasta.

As I recall it was maybe two and a half inches thick or so and easily had 8 layers of fresh pasta, maybe more. Best lasagne I've ever had, the closest I've ever been able to find was in Cortina D'Ampezzo and it still wasn't as good.

By the way, you've inspired me; I'm holding a contest with a few of my friends next week once I return.

Last edited by Murkar (Fri 08 Aug 08 1:19am)

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 08 Aug 08 4:36pm

Emily_02

From London
Member since Fri 08 Aug 08

My lasagne is far best and very easy to make

Preheat your oven to 190 degrees or gas mark 5 

Ingredients
    1 Packet of lasagne sheets
    1 Large jar of bolognaise sauce
    400 g pack of minced meat
    50 g margarine
    50 g plain flour
    600 ml milk
    100 g cheese
Method
1.    Fry the mince in a saucepan until the mince has changed colour
2.    Add the bolognaise sauce and simmer for 15 minutes, keep stirring to avoid sticking to the sides
3.    Place your mince on the side ready for use
4.    In a clean saucepan put the milk, flour and margarine
5.    Keep the sauce on a low heat while continuously stirring to stop the sauce sticking to the pan
6.    Bring the sauce to a boil and allow to cook for a minute or two. Remove from heat and stir in cheese
7.    In an ovenproof dish, start with a third of the tomato sauce, then a layer of lasagne sheets and cover that with a third of the white sauce. Repeat until left with a layer of white sauce
8.    Sprinkle on cheese and put in the oven for 30 minutes

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 08 Aug 08 5:15pm

Captain C

Forum champ
Occupation Sales
From Essex
Member since Tue 05 Feb 08

Sorry Emily, but I will have to disagree with you.

As Spike4848 suggested, a good bolognese sauce is needed, and a jarred version just cant compete with a proper home-made one.

Obviously its more convenient, but we are after the "best" lasagne.

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 08 Aug 08 5:29pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

The same goes for the pasta - homemade is the best!

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 08 Aug 08 6:26pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Yes , but a lot of us are acomplished at cooking and not everyone is as skilled.
I do agree that both homemade pasta and a good homemade pasta sauce are good, but they do take a bit of knowledge to prepare and make.

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 08 Aug 08 6:27pm

Murkar

Occupation Hermit
From Newcastle, Ontario (Canada)
Member since Thu 22 May 08

Have to agree with CC and pablo there...nothign out of a jar or package will compare with good homemade pasta or bolognese. A little presumtious to say it's "by far the best" don't you agree mummza?

Last edited by Murkar (Fri 08 Aug 08 6:28pm)

Likes (0)

#18 Fri 08 Aug 08 6:31pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Looking at things a different way and as lou know I do agree that fresh ingredients are better , but if someone is prepared to get into the kitchen and cook , then if they are not so skilled a jar of sauce might give confidence that a recipe can be acheived...better to cook from a jar of sauce than not at all.

Likes (0)

#19 Fri 08 Aug 08 6:34pm

Captain C

Forum champ
Occupation Sales
From Essex
Member since Tue 05 Feb 08

Too true mummza.

I wasnt having a pop at Emily.
I am no expert experienced chef myself, but learning all the time, and got some great help form this forum.

I was only referring to the "best", which mine certainly wouldnt be  roll

2 years ago I was a "jar" man, but now making the "real" thing  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#20 Fri 08 Aug 08 6:35pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I think that we have all been jar people at sometime or other  big_smile

Likes (0)