Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: Raised beds for the garden

They must look so beautiful!  smile

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 10 Oct 11 4:37am

TexasTank

Member since Wed 05 Oct 11

Thanks for your suggestions. Minerva, I have been using the compost from a nearby mushroom cultivator. It is amazing. I  top dressed my fruit orchard several weeks ago, thinking that I would be preparing for winter, now my peach trees are blooming. In Texas the temperature will not drop below freezing for another month and will not be sustained below freezing until January (if then).  We don't have much variation between seasons. It is hot, slightly less hot, and then gets hot again.
Today was glorious. We recieved a significant amount of rain and temperatures dropped into the 60s. In celebration, I made a hearty beef stew and a pumpkin tart with sugar pumpkins from my own garden. I know this sounds a little over the top, but we have had temperatures over 100 degrees (for a record) of over 60 days and temperatures over 90 degress for over 90 days. This change in weather was truly a blessing and a welcome relief.
Thanks for your comments.

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 10 Oct 11 6:13am

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

You are very welcome.

We have have 4 seasons in the last week!
Yesterday was definately Autumn..........the wind just howled, yet it was damp & warm...........we are expected to see minus figures within a few weeks.
Little gardening on the horizon then I fear.

Likes (0)

#14 Sun 29 Jan 12 11:09am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Oh has just made a number of raised beds for me in our doggy day run, since we no longer use it.

The area surround is fenced so the dogs can't get in.

He used circular metal posts for the four corner bearers and corrugated iron for the tops and sides. These were held together with four corner metal covers, all screwed and riveted into place. The top edges will be covered in a rubber surround to protect the sharp eges.

We have two compost bins on the go plus the mushroom compost which is almost finished producing. We will also get some suitable soil and mulch from the nursery when the time comes to fill them.

Likes (0)

#15 Sun 29 Jan 12 1:02pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Yes I have made wllow baskets before now , I really enjoyed it and they do last very well .
You need to be able to say the willow so that it becomes more pliable without cracking when it is bent a little.

I have also in the past made a strip or two of the type of fencing you are talking about Kye, for that we used thicker bits of branches that we found in the woodland, you need a couple of people and a bit of patience to get it right.
Very hard on the hands as I remember.

I used to enjoy making things like that .

Likes (0)

#16 Sun 29 Jan 12 7:00pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

The Roman fencing was a must once i had noticed them in a famous Roman excavation site that we often visit called Bribracte http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibracte the branches have to be soaked to make them easier to work with. They last a very long time.

Edit: website said that it wasn't accesible  hmm

Last edited by kye in france (Sun 29 Jan 12 7:02pm)

Likes (0)

#17 Sun 29 Jan 12 7:47pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Is this the style of fence you mean?
http://www.cg58.fr/services-en-ligne/ca … s_diapo=17

Likes (0)

#18 Sun 29 Jan 12 8:04pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Exactly exclaim

Thanks for that MsP, i miss the Nièvre.

The Nièvre is our hide-away, its beautiful, our Pied à Terre. Morvan and Beuvray too...

Likes (0)