forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 16 Dec 11 3:25pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Good frying pan

quality stainless is fine - AllClad is the best I've used - don't own them myself.  I think you'll need to look at prices if budget is a factor, otherwise, buy the highest quality in something that last forever - definitely not non-stick for searing or longevity.

Likes (0)

#12 Sat 17 Dec 11 12:17am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

As per usual Ashen advice is good advice, that said a good cast Iron may be more than £50. Used well, it will be a good investment. Le Cruset as Mrs Pabs says. I have a Le Cruset gratin pan; itís older than me, thatís old. Itís amazingly good! Le Cruset make quality kit.

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 17 Dec 11 12:31am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

MsPablo wrote:

Le Crueset enameled cast iron - one of my favorite skillets - easy to clean, heats evenly and holds heat well.

I have a couple of those little skillets as well they are great.
I also have good quality stainless steel fry pans as well that gets used endlessly and are fantastic for making sauces etc.
The cast iron pans I find tricky to handle now and so I no onger use them ( apart from my little skillets ).
with non-stick my trusty pan that I mentioned earlier has been the best that I have had so far ( in many years of cooking )

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 17 Dec 11 10:13am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

aaronjunited wrote:

Another question -  Is Stainless steel good for cooking meats? Is it not a sticky base, burn food easily and what not?

Thanks again for the reply's.

When cooking steak or chops in a Stainless pan, don't put oil in the pan, season the meat, then oil the meat and add it to the hot pan...don't shake it around or move it, cook for 1/2 the total cooking time then turn it..you may find you get some bits stuck to the bottom of the pan...but there's the fun bit...

..remove the meat, add a little wine or water to the pan, scrape any burnt on bitd off with a wooden spatula or similar..give it quick stir and you have a tasty sauce to accompany your meal..

(Save the non-stick for eggs and pancakes etc...)

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 17 Dec 11 9:08pm

Trilobite

From London, UK
Member since Mon 27 Jun 11

House of Fraser do an excellent Le Creuset-style cast-iron frying pan. It's oven-proof and has a lifetime guarantee.

They're selling it for £25 at the moment.

I can't post links, but go to the House of Fraser website and search for "Linea iron pan".

If you get it, make be sure to season the pan before using (for some reason, the packaging suggests you don't need to).

I've got the frying pan and a casserole from this range, and they're both great value.

Likes (0)

#16 Mon 19 Dec 11 10:27pm

aaronjunited

From N.Ireland, Belfast
Member since Tue 27 Jan 09

Thanks for the help again, great advice people.

Will definitely take this on board.

Likes (0)

#17 Wed 27 Feb 13 11:43pm

luckylinda1

Member since Wed 27 Feb 13

mummza wrote:

The best nonstick frying pan that I have had in a long time has been a WMF one . I have now had this pan for a number of years and it has successfully put up with the abuse that my husband puts it through !!!
My darling thinks that the only way to fry things is over a mega heat and never thinks to adjust the temperature !
I have to say that this pan was expensive but I would buy another one again someday .

Mummza what exactly is a WMF one?

Likes (0)

#18 Wed 27 Feb 13 11:44pm

luckylinda1

Member since Wed 27 Feb 13

WMF means ?????????????

Likes (0)

#19 Thu 28 Feb 13 12:16am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum luckylinda1 smile

WMF is the make of the pan .

Last edited by mummza (Thu 28 Feb 13 12:19am)

Likes (0)

#20 Thu 28 Feb 13 9:24am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Welcome Linda.
Glad someone's brought up the subject of frying pans, cos I need to invest in a new one.  Can't have anything too heavy and anyway, already have a cast iron one.  Don't want non-stick as it'll have to go in the dishwasher.
Perhaps a stainless steel one?  It'll only be used for eggs, mushrooms and the like.
What happened to the good old fashioned good quality enamelled ones, where the whole pan is enamel coated?  My Mum had one for years.
Recommendations please.

Likes (0)