Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 04 Jan 12 12:50am

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Re: Families encouraged to eat healthily on the cheap

This is my point exactly.................no normal housewife would expect to feed a family without a cooker/hob, or a reasonable amount of basic equipment. So how do we expect our children to be able to do it in their turn?

What I was suggesting should happen is the responsibility of Central Government funding-wise, not the Local Authority. LA's should only have to worry about the implimentation of a countrywide re-education programme.

It's about time the elected adults in charge of the British Isles took responsibilty for equipping our children to breed healthy children in their turn. Instead we have the prediction that soon our children will not survive us because of our lack of committment to them.

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 04 Jan 12 4:35am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Likes (0)

#13 Wed 04 Jan 12 4:48am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

kye in france wrote:

Alain Ducasse (famous cook here) is giving an oppurtunity for a groupe of 15 mothers at a time (house wives in precarious situations) to pass a CAP (The certificate of competence) in cooking, with the bases of maths, general culture, english ....his first try was a success, most passed the CAP, one of the participants is now employed in the Hotel 'Matignon' another has opened her own retso.

A well known dietitian called Dukan wants the Governement to add extra points on to students education certificats that havn't put on weight between their end of College to the end of University years.

We sell Dukan's diet book. It is very popular.

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 04 Jan 12 5:52am

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

Much of it though surely comes down to total laziness and a reliance on junk food accompanied by a plethora of excuses to justify both of the aforementioned.

There have been many attempts on TV to change peoples perceptions - Jamie's 30 min meals and beat the takeaway spring to mind.

It also comes down to what we might call the "national attitude" towards doing things. The Aussies seem to have a much more "can-do" attitude towards things.

Again, on TV, Masterchef Australia, and in particular the Junior version has actually got kids interested in cooking. I believe some of the old school Aussie cooks have also started projects aimed at kids, Maggie Beers and Stephanie Alexander spring to mind.

Fish and Chips can't be singled out as the root cause of the problem, we always had them around even burgers and chips, remember the Wimpy Bar? That said, they've messed around with the old school fish and chips that I grew up with, what did they cook them in then and what do they use now?

It's since the introduction of mass market fast food from the States that things started going downhill. Cheap, Fast and loaded with calories - this even sneaked in with the coffeeshop culture - look at the calories in the more exotic buckets full of calories sold by some of them - a day's worth of calories in a cup.

There is an attitude change needed in the UK and even the shock programs have failed to get the message across - stuff like we're killing the kids and other reality TV programs with diet/exercise being forced on stereotypical people who fall into the category we're discussing.

TV is certainly playing its part and the politicians are merely jumping on the bandwagon. You won't change these people though, we even see them over here when they come on holiday. Plastic Macs is always full of tourists, many of them sporting the obligatory Burberry pattern clothing.

An acquaintance had a younger family member over with partner and child. There was access to good home cooked food and plenty of local healthy alternatives. The excuse was they "they didn't like it"  and instead they ate at Plastic Macs all the time they were here.

McD's has even replaced that classic Egg'n'Chips favored by Brits abroad and immortalized by the movie Shirley Valentine.

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 04 Jan 12 10:59am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I dont think that much of it does come down to laziness but its more the lack of knowledge, changes in life styles and general change in the way a family is now run .

When I remember back to being at school , we ate a lot of tinned foods ( both at home and at school ) , yes, we had a large vegetable garden but it could not provide all that was needed for a large family.
I remember the excitement of getting a freezer in the home ( and we were thought posh for having one !) a large chest freezer that was placed in the garage and then filled with all manner of things.
Vesta curries were a favorite , not by my family , but the vesta meals were pushed by advertisers as something good to eat .
We had a packet of spagetti in the cupboard but nobody knew what to do with it , it was given to my mother as a gift from a person wh had been to Italy ( they did not know how to cook t either !).
A favoured desert was ' Birds trifle' ! ( not made from birds , Birds was the maker !!)

You mention  Egg and Chips in your post falconcy .... that has declined simply because of the different way the British now eat , the little cafes that used to sell egg and chips and the fish and chip shops with the 'waitress sservice' areas have now largly disapeared from many areas of the country.
MacDonnalds have been popping up all over the country for many years , but I would not say that they are a nations favorite , they are just a place to get something quick to eat . My darling often goes into MacDonalds when he is away as he knows what ever country he goes into its an easy pace to get something quick to eat and he enjoys the burgers. He is also facinated how the menus vary so much from country to country.
It is only a small amount of the general population that regulaly eat  in these places.

Lifestyles have changed , nowadays most women go to work , wether it be full time of part time , there is a greater accent on 'the social life' , going to the gym and as for the children they often get rushed about after schol to various clubs or activities and I know quite a few children that only have one free evening a week !!!!
All this together with the lack of culinary knowledge makes it easier to grab a meal from the supermarket shelf than to stand peeling vegetables or marinating meat.
But mostly I would say that its lack of knowledge and perception of lack of time or simply differnt prioritys these days  that prevent some people from cooking fresh ingredients .

There are many cooking shows on the tv but not everyone watches them , they do influence people to a point . Going by the staff room conversations ,mostly ... 'Nigella ' gets mentioned a lot as people seem to like what she is cooking and feel that they can manage the recipes which often have a mix of premade and fresh ingredients or or are just an assembly job from packet items.
Jamie Oliver gets more than a good few mentions , but his recipes are sometimes seen to be a bit fiddly ,with lots of ingredients or equiptment.
We also have Junior masterchef and junior bake off shows , but not all children watch them and so I dont know how any it would inspire to cook.

The cookery lessons ( called some name now like food tecnology  ) that my children did in school are abismal . I can honestly say that they can only have 'cooked' 6 or 7 times during those 'lessons' .... Pasta bake. Something with fruit etc etc . It was mostly up to the student to try to find something they could cook to suit the brief. They were NOT taught to cook anything at all .

I know that the UK has been the 'butt of all jokes' for a long time when it comes to food and that it has got a bad reputation... but look again... this has changed , the Brits are an eclectic nation , they areinterested in what they eat eve though many might not be able to cook . The foods have changed and I think you will find that there are many great places to eat , or ingredients to buy .

Sadly ,its people who do not live in the 'UK' who still continue to have a narrow minded and jaundiced view of the culinary tallents of the British Isles.

Likes (0)

#16 Wed 04 Jan 12 1:48pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

mummza wrote:

Sadly ,its people who do not live in the 'UK' who still continue to have a narrow minded and jaundiced view of the culinary tallents of the British Isles.

Allelujah..............some-one that is saying what I so frequently think!

And is often the same people who have/will never eat in a modern British home................but simply trot out out-dated notions (often based on what the "lower-end"  people eat!.................the Burberry "chav" sort?) that are meant to represent ALL Brits tastes.

I know many children (some of whom are now adults) who have been taught to cook, but find the media/peer pressure very difficult to overcome. They will I hope, as they grow into their confidence, turn back to what has given them pleasure & a sense of achievement. If there was a National Education committment, it would be what each child would come to expect & go a long way to cure the problem.

Children are deeply affected by negativity..............& if the world at large tells them that they & their country are crap cooks, don't have a food history to be proud of, & that they aren't worth considering...............why would they believe otherwise? They are kids!

Likes (0)

#17 Wed 04 Jan 12 2:29pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

minerva wrote:

Children are deeply affected by negativity..............& if the world at large tells them that they & their country are crap cooks, don't have a food history to be proud of, & that they aren't worth considering...............why would they believe otherwise? They are kids!

You are so right about this Minerva .

For all those that think that food is not good in the UK .... look at this list of Michelin stars
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog … rants-list

Last edited by mummza (Wed 04 Jan 12 2:36pm)

Likes (0)

#18 Wed 04 Jan 12 4:57pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

If the kids of today get educated about nutrition, then maybe their favorite hang-outs will get wise and start offering them a better product.

Likes (0)