forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Mon 24 Dec 07 8:46pm

Lisa Devon

Member since Mon 24 Dec 07

Re: Fowl Dinners

Hi Faverolle hen (Nikki)
Lisa here...Lisa from the Battery Hen Welfare Trust, I met you at Jamies filming???? Hopefully you remember. neutral
smile  Hope all is well with you and the loooovley Jack!!!

I just stumbled across this forum in an attempt to see what the publicity is like re: the program, and was chuffed to find you. I have also been trying to track Mark down, Have tried the PP forum too, but no luck so far roll . Do you have any contact details for him?
Have a lovely Christmas, and hopefully hear from you soon

Lisa
BHWT

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 31 Dec 07 2:27pm

homecooking

Occupation Housewife
From W. Sussex
Member since Wed 18 Oct 06

smile Hi my hubby and I were at the filming too.  It was quite shocking in places, shocked  lets hope it gets the message across. 

I have now started buying free range eggs and chickens.  So it has had an impact on me.

Jenny and Daren

ps.  Well done Jamie  thumbsup  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#13 Wed 02 Jan 08 10:38am

markbchicken

Member since Wed 02 Jan 08

Hi Lisa

Yes I exist!!! I am around on pp but have been busy with the xmas break. Hope you are well and all your birds are as well. I'm still in the 'market' for a few of your ex-batts , let me know more. Perhaps I'll hear from you on pp soon?

As for the programme, I've seen that  Jamie getting the normal grief about it but at least he is using his celeb status to point out a few home truths many don't want to hear......legalised animal cruelty in our name ( the customers wanted cheap meat/eggs  bleat from supermarkets/wholesalers etc)....
Bloody good Job Jamie, I hope you and the other celebs talking about just what happens changes a few things, perhaps even get  the government to start protecting its farmers and by default the animals from the cheap imported rubbish out there??

Mark

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 02 Jan 08 5:17pm

homecooking

Occupation Housewife
From W. Sussex
Member since Wed 18 Oct 06

markbchicken wrote:

As for the programme, I've seen that  Jamie getting the normal grief about it but at least he is using his celeb status to point out a few home truths many don't want to hear......legalised animal cruelty in our name ( the customers wanted cheap meat/eggs  bleat from supermarkets/wholesalers etc)....
Bloody good Job Jamie, I hope you and the other celebs talking about just what happens changes a few things, perhaps even get  the government to start protecting its farmers and by default the animals from the cheap imported rubbish out there??

Mark

clap  clap  clap well said thumbsup  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 02 Jan 08 7:42pm

LeilaDarling

Member since Sat 15 Dec 07

The White Rabbit wrote:

You'll just have to make sure the fame doesn't go to their heads.

lol  lol

That was hilarious.

Congrats to your chickens! big_smile

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 04 Jan 08 10:14am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Thanks!  mrgreen

In the Jamie at Home book, Jamie mentions that the main use of battery eggs is in commerical food production. Is a way to tackle this making it like animal testing and cosmetics? So "xyz" company uses battery eggs and people will be less inclined to buy the products until they use eggs from sources accredited by the RSPCA (or similar organisation). I suppose what is needed is a couple of companies to come out like that and make a bit of money and then the trend to be started.

Likes (0)

#17 Sat 05 Jan 08 10:25am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Bcrain I think that was a deliberate thing with naming it "fowl" I can see it coming as a big kick up the butt for battery farming.... Not going to be a show to watch while eating or for the weak of stomach... think back to Jamie showing those kids what is in a chicken nugget.

All I want to know at this point is when does it air in Oz?

Likes (0)

#18 Sat 05 Jan 08 7:43pm

Lisa Devon

Member since Mon 24 Dec 07

Hi Mark....I had almost given up on hearing from you...really nice too!
What is your name on PP??? i have tried messaging you but think i got the wrong bloke!!! Not good! roll
You (or anyone infact who would like some more info of very deserving ex bats) can contact me on 01803 812650
It would be great to keep intouch. Jane asked me the other day if I had any luck tracking you down smile

Hello also to Jenny & Daren...where were you at the filming???? I was just a stand in as someone on the "junk food table" didnt turn up, I was only supposed to be there as a "chicken handler" and bag carrier etc...and ended up with the junk food adicts shocked  sad  shocked

Thanks also to everyone else for your nice comments...have a look at our website bhwt.org.uk for further info.
Hears hoping for a free range future!

Lisaxxxx wink

Likes (0)

#19 Sat 05 Jan 08 7:47pm

faverollehen

Member since Thu 13 Dec 07

Hi Lisa

great to here from you!

Sorry for the delay-can't believe the show's on friday!

how fast!!  smile  smile

My moby number is 078529 78648

also on www.pekinbantams.com as faverollehen

Cheers

Nikki  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

Likes (0)

#20 Sat 05 Jan 08 8:31pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forums Lisa Devon and faverollahen  big_smile

First of all I thiink that you would be wise to edit your posta and remove the personal information...this is a very open site and putting your phone numbers could make you vunerable as you never know who is reading .

When I was a child, chicken was not the everyday meat that it is nowadays. It was expensive relative to lamb and pork.
A roast chicken was considered a treat and the leg meat was always brown.The brown meat was not always popular and as a result the co.lour of the leg meat changed as it was 'bred out of the chickens'.

Nowadays chicken is probably one of the most commen meats that are consumed, many of the farming methods used are realy grim and often these birds never see the light of day.

I used to live in a town that had a 'chicken factory' I would see lorries containing crates packed full of chickens being driven through the town.
These creates were piled quite high.
The poor chickens .
It was a grim site and if I had not already been a vegetarian then it would of turned me towards being so.

Dispite being a vegetarian, I cook meat for my family , I cook chicken.
I am guilty of buying some supermarket chickens ,but ,I try to buy the better ones.

The same applies to eggs, I try to buy the better eggs .
The chickens that produce battery farmed eggs are kept in miserable conditions. The eggs have a poor colour and a poor taste.

My friend has recently started keeping chickens, they are so 'cute' and all have their own charecters. They wander about her garden all day long and sometimes sneak into the house !
Parts of her lovely inner-city garden have been turned to a muddy patch by the chickens , but that does not matter, the chickens add a great sense of life to an otherwise (or used to be!!) organised garden.
The bonus is the fantastic eggs that they produce, a rich deep yellow yoke and the white of the egg that keeps well together.
She has 6 little eggs a day  (one each from her 6 chickens).
There is nothing better than a fresh laid egg for breakfast.

Alas ,my garden is realy tiny and it would be unfair to any chickens to be kept there and so I have to be content with seeing them on a visit to my friends house .

Likes (0)