forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Mon 31 Dec 07 3:33pm

Savoury

Member since Mon 31 Dec 07

Re: Risotto's

Could I tack on another question about risotto?

Would brown rice work to make something risotto-esque? Now don't beat me with a rolling pin for asking this!  I realize brown rice is not as starchy so I won't get the same consistency, but my family (especially my young son) love risotto, however, I'd like to kick up the health element of it and thought I'd experiment with brown rice in it.

Any wisdom?

Likes (0)

#12 Tue 01 Jan 08 6:50am

PatrickSpriggs

Occupation 1st Year Apprentice Chef
From Brisbane
Member since Sat 29 Dec 07

Yeah but it will take a LOT longer to cook. You can just use normal brown rice or correct me if i am wrong but i think you can buy arborio brown rice it may be expensive though.

Not sure but i would think it would be chewier as well, but worth a try really low heat and stir stir stir, lol.

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 01 Jan 08 5:32pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

This is a personal response. Others are more than free to disagree.

I am a healthy food "nut" (blame it on the ageing crazed hippy thing wink ). Have tried making brown rice risotto. Personally, it wasn't worth the time nor the effort. Now just cook the various ingredients and pile them on brown rice. Easier and cheaper.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#14 Tue 21 Sep 10 6:34am

ozdot

Member since Tue 21 Sep 10

Hi everyone - does anyone know where I can find the recipe for Jamie's tomato and basil risotto?  It was one of the recipes featured on the Venice programme but I can't find it anywhere and it looked gorgeous.  Thnx

Likes (0)

#15 Tue 21 Sep 10 7:36am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum ozdot  smile

There are a few risotto threads on the forum , you have managed to find a really old one !
As I remember , on the show Jamie made White risotto and them showed how it can be changed by adding different ingredients.
I think that he simply precooked some tomatoes   
In a separate pan and then added them to the White risotto with some basil .
I know I made some after the show and there is a photo somewhere on my blog ( thinkit was in May ) as I am not one for using a recipe and am more if a shove it in and see sort of cook , I cannot remember the quantities I used . I will give it some thought and try to post again later .

Likes (0)

#16 Tue 21 Sep 10 7:48am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

As mummza says, the basic risotto is probably this http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/riso … tto-recipe

A few of us have the Jamie does book but out of courtesy we don't post recipes from the latest book

Likes (0)

#17 Tue 21 Sep 10 10:06am

ozdot

Member since Tue 21 Sep 10

Thanks Mummza and White Rabbit - yes, I knew it was a pretty simple variation on the basic risotto (I seem to remember it was cherry tomatoes and garlic with basil added at the end) ... but it doesn't take much for me to get it wrong so I just wanted to be sure of quantities ...

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 21 Sep 10 1:31pm

AliceTwain

Member since Tue 11 May 10

I make risotto differently from what Jamie instructs. The basic ingredients are the same, my own trick is to toast really well the rice (I don't check time, it must turn translucid and start emitting a thin whizzing sound). Then I turn up the fire, add half a glass of white wine, shake very well the pan, turn the fire back on low and let the wine evaporate until the smell changes from acidic and alchoolic to mellow. This is when I add the stock, all at once until it barely covers the top of the rice, shake the pan once again and let it rest until the rice has absorbed it all. I never (NEVER) stir the risotto, except in the toasting stage; stirring is what causes the rice to stick and burn as well as cook unevenly. I just shake the pan so that the liquid reaches the bottom. You may want to add a little more stock towards the end to retain the needed wetness (the rice must be very al dente, but also sloshy, it must slosh around when you shake the pan). Now I turn off the fire, dump in the butter, the cheese and stir vigorously for several minutes to create the creamy texture. After stirring I let the risotto rest with the lid on for a couple of minutes, so that it sets.

Likes (0)

#19 Tue 21 Sep 10 1:45pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

When it comes to risotto you'll find a lot of purists.  Then there's the rest of us.  I basically call any rice dish I make risotto and I use all kinds of rice.  The idea is always basically the same:  Toast the rice, and then add liquid a bit at a time until it's absorbed.  Depending on what kind of rice you use this could take a long time (arborio or brown rice) or a short time (long grained white rice). 

My favorite risotto is snail risotto.  Don't knock it till you try it.  The earthiness of the snails are comparable to a mushroom risotto.  The first thing you want to do is sautee your snails in olive oil until they are halfway cooked through and then remove from the pan. 

Add to the pan lots of onion and sweat until translucent.  Then add fresh crushed tomato and season well.  Add the rice and toast.  Add vermouth and let it dissipate.  Add water or vegetable stock to finish the risotto.  Before all the liquid is abosrbed throw the snails back in, a big pat of butter, and some parmesan (optional). 

I can see how this dish would also benefit from a little rosemary but I've never tried it that way yet.

Likes (0)

#20 Tue 21 Sep 10 3:18pm

AliceTwain

Member since Tue 11 May 10

@koukouvagia So, would you call riso patate e cozze (a famous Pugliese bake) a risotto? And what about rice and squash or rice and turnip soups? And pilavs? And savory Ligurian rice cake?

Likes (0)